iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Neat idea for firewood pieces

Started by mrector, August 28, 2014, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrector

I recently have been making some pieces for a couple good friends of mine to make some pieces for their wedding.  She wanted 27 cookie slices for table decorating and one large cookie for the cake to set on. She also wants 12 isle markers that were to be just firewood length pieces to put decorations on and candles.  Well being who I am, I had to "take it to the next level. I came up with an idea and made a jig or two to make the pedestals unique.
  First I cut each piece on sawmill using a short log jig I made, that way they are all same length and both ends are parallel.
Next I mark out the ends for absolute center of log and some 90* marks for making each cut.
Once in jig make a cut to leave around 3" for the top and mark saw deck for the next cuts. Repeat 4 cuts and now you have to go back to short log jig and slice squared up with marks to release pieces you just cut.
Ends up being a nice angled base with a cookie slice top. They have been a pretty big hit with locals for sale, they're always surprised by the fact that its one continuous piece. 
Just thot I'd post and give you guys my idea so maybe you could make them for a pedestal for plants etc. Prob not the best for stools because of grain orientation.
I will post pics.
Mikey
Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

mrector

Homemade logging arch

mrector

These are black walnut limb pieces. I beem tryin to fifure out what to make nice limbs into and this seems pretty viable option. Already have about 7 sold at $30 each. Pretty good for firewood.. :)
Mikey
Homemade logging arch

mrector

Also they produce some neat side pieces.  Maybe card or photo holders.

And I do realize I can make actual legged stools by making two cuts at each 90* one around 1.5-2" below first,... but last cut would be hairy cause the pyramid center would fall out while completing last cut. May still try one.

Took bout an hour to produce these 3. Could be fine tuned for better results. And btw POSTON, your flower boxes and my machinist jig making both inspired this creation.

Have fun
Mikey
Homemade logging arch

hackberry jake

:o
Sometimes I envy sawmills with a 90° cut....
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

samandothers

POSTON WIDEHEAD

DanG Mike......I asked for pics and you showed my ^$$ didn't ya!  :D :D :D :D :D

Thats awesome work man! Thanks!

mrector

Ya know hackberry you can make a jig that has the degree the boardwalk has... same result. Its not gotta be perfect to hold a fern up for a wonderful lil lady with $30 or more bucks.. haha
Mikey
Homemade logging arch

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The grain in the Walnut is unreal sawn at an angle!

highleadtimber16

Those would go for a lot more than $30/piece around here!
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

Ludo

OK, seriously...  that is way cool!  Get them on Etsy now!!!

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

customsawyer

That is really nice. I would call it thinking out side of the box. I will not be showing the wife as I don't have a jig. ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ron Wenrich

We have a guy in the area that does that with longer pieces.  I'm not sure of the length, but it was all under 4'.  He makes flooring from it and calls it a cathedral pattern.  There is a lot of matching involved to get the desired look.  Very high end stuff.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

downsouth

I like it, and $30 bucks, that sounds good to me.
Good job.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

schmism

bark will fall off in short time.  hopefully these are used within a week of sawn else your going to be faced with a mess.
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

drobertson

Quote from: schmism on September 01, 2014, 04:56:23 PM
bark will fall off in short time.  hopefully these are used within a week of sawn else your going to be faced with a mess.
[/quote}
Maybe not so fast, I did a close thing minus the jig, but that idea did enter my mind,  keep out of the sun for sure, slow dry in basement if possible, and spray with a poly can of clear coat, just one side.  There is a neat mix of a super glue that works with an air brush that will also help hold the bark.  If nothing is done, the bark will likely release, but a little tlc can go along way.  Very nice idea!  and creative as well.   the price is demand controlled for sure, one might thing like " obo?"
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 01, 2014, 07:19:59 AM
$30 seems a bit lite.

I looked the price up in my ORANGE BOOK........$300.00

mrector

I have been removing the bark on em before sale. It was kinda loose anyways. Another customer wants one about 26" tall by as large diameter as possible. That'll be a chore.. jig mods need to be made. I quoted her $60. :)

And man I wish I could get $300 out of them!! Haha I'd quit sawing lumber altogether.
Mikey
Homemade logging arch

Thank You Sponsors!