iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Don't want to work anymore( or my heart)

Started by timberlinetree, August 28, 2014, 07:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

I really love my job and have worked really hard to get to where we are. After 3-4 concessions in the past few years, almost bit it(that's a post) last year from the heat and now my heart is all messed up(scared of the woods post) from a cell tower(?) I'm thinking of doing something eles! I'm tired of the er and if I follow the signs on the paper they gave me .to go to the er I would be there every day. I'm not doing good! Its hard to go to the job site with this tower. I have so much to do and people to help I can't go down(or up I've been trying to be a good guy) ! Sorry for the pouting just going thru a tuff/scary time! Thanks
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

yukon cornelius

I went through a similar time in my previous line of work. some of the bad things id seen was catching up and bothering me at night. my back was destroyed. I didn't want disability and people saying "your not disabled because one time I saw you run a chainsaw." I was just fed up the politics of the job. so I left. it has been a struggle at times reinventing myself but I wouldn't change it for anything.

bottom line pray and trust the Lord and he will guide you in the right direction!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Chuck White

Don't give up on life timberlinetree!

Just pace yourself with what you CAN do.

I had my one and only heart attack back in 1995, I was only 46, scared the hell out of me, but they told me over in Burlington, Vt to just hang in there and take it one day at a time for a while, then try expanding your interests!

Well, I'm still doing pretty good at 65 and don't plan on giving up for some time yet!

You just hang in there!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Timber,

Take it one day at a time.  Hopefully you will overcome this. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ET

Timber, I have worked, played, and studied incredibly hard my entire life. I cannot remember any single year over the past forty plus years that I havnt taken a class or some kind of training. I've always donated some of my spare time for volunteering at lots of projects. Plus I always make time to enjoy the things in life that make me happy. None of the above has ever gotten in my way especially with my family. Life is never as we wish but I can only relate to you what I have done throughout mine.

I'ts never too late to turn over a new leaf, and take each day as they come. Always do your best at everything you do and be proud of your accomplishments.   Stay strong, ok.  Ernie.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

sawguy21

Do you have a pastor, a close friend, someone who is not intimately involved to talk this out with? Depression is a heavy load to carry alone, I have dealt with it for years, and it won't go away easily. Retreating into a dark hole is not the way out. Keep us posted so we can support and encourage you.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

timberlinetree

Thanks so much everyone! You all are such nice people to take time out of your day to help a stranger. Yesterday finally got a hold of someone from the cell tower. Got the run around of who own it its leased sub leased etc.One thing he asked is if we were in front of it and how close and how long. I have been parking/fueling in front of it(I'm stupid for not reading the signs). Yesterday my heart was skipping instead of overpumping? I can feel it through my earmuffs when I stop. Still has me nervous that the doctors don't know what's up(er doctors) and the EKG nurse has never seen anything like it and says I should be on some weird trama TV show( we don't have TV so didn't know what show he was talking about). I really really don't like this tower( although I don't really know for shore it its what doing this to me) but it seems like it might.

this is the tower

The last one say in fine print serious injury! I'm still working up there but really don't want to be!

Chuck White

That tower isn't very high!  :o

I would think that with the tower at the level it looks like, that exposure to RF would be greatly increased!

Most cell towers in this area are around 200 feet high!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Maybe you best change your location and work away from the tower.

QuoteStill has me nervous that the doctors don't know what's up(er doctors) and the EKG nurse has never seen anything like it and says I should be on some weird trama TV show

I'd find a different Dr. and EKG nurse. Seems a Dr. who says he doesn't know, and a nurse who also doesn't, that they would both be finding out more what is going on.  May not have anything to do with the tower.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ely

as I understand those antannea will cook you like a microwave if you get in front of the thing while it is transmitting... as long as you are not in front of it you are good... as a disclaimer all of ours are at least 150 ft up.

coxy

please don't take this the wrong way but if you think this is messing u up why don't you get a way from it for awhile and see if you get better  again not trying to be a wise guy

timberlinetree

Thanks everyone. I have been avoiding it like the plage. Great news I think I'm getting better. Woke up the other morning and my chest didn't start pounding for about 15 mins. Today just a tiny bit and Marcia doesn't feel my heart beating out of my chest. Seems the skipping/overheating has stopped somewhat. I'm really happy 8).still waiting to hear back from the tower people. We have around 30 or so cords to process up there(full cords) and some more spraying to do. If some one gets microwaved by this thing are they hot on the outside and cold on the inside because that sounds like my uncle :D. Seriously does anyone know what serious injury you can get from this thing like the sign says. I have never had this problem before and usually when I go to the doctor they think I run because of my heartbeat. I more I think about it the more I think this tower has something to do with it. If anyone is near a tower be safe. Thanks & worksafe.

timberlinetree

Coxy you are a wise guy thank you and everyone else! :)

dgdrls

Quote from: timberlinetree on September 01, 2014, 06:50:23 AM
Thanks everyone. I have been avoiding it like the plage. Great news I think I'm getting better. Woke up the other morning and my chest didn't start pounding for about 15 mins. Today just a tiny bit and Marcia doesn't feel my heart beating out of my chest. Seems the skipping/overheating has stopped somewhat. I'm really happy 8).still waiting to hear back from the tower people. We have around 30 or so cords to process up there(full cords) and some more spraying to do. If some one gets microwaved by this thing are they hot on the outside and cold on the inside because that sounds like my uncle :D. Seriously does anyone know what serious injury you can get from this thing like the sign says. I have never had this problem before and usually when I go to the doctor they think I run because of my heartbeat. I more I think about it the more I think this tower has something to do with it. If anyone is near a tower be safe. Thanks & worksafe.

TLT, no job is worth your health,  I would let the land owner know your are done working in proximity of that antenna.
I would suggest to the owner you will skid/haul the balance of the logs to a landing away from that area
and finish your work there and the additional cost will be $x.  If that is not acceptable square up and get out.

Marcia and your family are counting on you to be around for a long time,  we are too.

Best

DGDrls

timberlinetree

Thanks so much for all your replies!! Well my heart is beating like a nicely tuned Detroit 353 nice and steady. I have to finish the job to get paid. It's kind of a funny job through the USDA. I talked to the tower people and they beat around the bush and I have to stay away from the front of this thing. They did say something about radiation which has me nervous. I thought that stuff was only in the hospitals and in bombs. This has really been a blessing in disguise though, making me realize how precious life is. It has encouraged me to call my old hospice coordinator and they miss me there and I will be going back to volunteer work next week. Also Marcia and me need to get going on our nonprofit organization (For Kids Sakes) which will help sick and under privileged kids with used/reconditioned swing sets and other play toys. Thanks so much for all your advice, thoughts, and prayers. I'm ready to work  8)

drobertson

All the ole timers I know, (not saying you are one ;D)  have told me to pace myself, and take one day at a time.  Hope you continue to improve, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

scsmith42

Timberline, the photo's that you posted are NOT of a cell tower.  They are of a microwave tower, which is an entirely different animal.  Cell towers typically send out RF in all directions, versus microwave antennas that send a focused beam from point to point.  Cellular towers typically broadcast a very low power signal, because it must be balanced with the fractional-watt power that is being broadcast back to the tower from a cell phone.

Health risks due to RF exposure are based upon several factors, including frequency, ERP (effective radiated power), your relationship to the RF path and distance from the antenna.

Microwave antennas like the one that you posted are used for point to point  hops with a focused signal, and send out a much stronger signal than a cell tower.   Think of the signal that emmanates from a microwave antenna as a beam that runs in a straight line from one antenna to the other.

There is usually a little scatter effect on the sides of the beam.

RF signal loses power at an exponential rate, so the amount of radiation that you are exposed to directly in front of the antenna is much greater than that which you would be exposed to 300' away.    So if you're standing on a hill in the middle of a 7 mile long hop, you should not experience any ill effects since the signal is so weak.  On the other hand, it's not a good idea to stand right in front of and next to a microwave dish for a long period of time. 

By the way, the term "radiation" is a generic term used to describe a signal that "radiates" from an antenna; it's not necessarily the same as what comes from an atomic bomb!  AM radio towers, which you have probably driven by for years, are also called "radiators", but they radiate on much lower frequencies as compared with cellular and microwave systems.

As long as you are not spending extended time right in front of the microwave antenna you should be fine.  The signs that you posted are generic industry signs and posted more for liability reasons than anything else.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

coxy

Quote from: scsmith42 on September 07, 2014, 12:07:59 PM
Timberline, the photo's that you posted are NOT of a cell tower.  They are of a microwave tower, which is an entirely different animal.  Cell towers typically send out RF in all directions, versus microwave antennas that send a focused beam from point to point.  Cellular towers typically broadcast a very low power signal, because it must be balanced with the fractional-watt power that is being broadcast back to the tower from a cell phone.

Health risks due to RF exposure are based upon several factors, including frequency, ERP (effective radiated power), your relationship to the RF path and distance from the antenna.

Microwave antennas like the one that you posted are used for point to point  hops with a focused signal, and send out a much stronger signal than a cell tower.   Think of the signal that emmanates from a microwave antenna as a beam that runs in a straight line from one antenna to the other.

There is usually a little scatter effect on the sides of the beam.

RF signal loses power at an exponential rate, so the amount of radiation that you are exposed to directly in front of the antenna is much greater than that which you would be exposed to 300' away.    So if you're standing on a hill in the middle of a 7 mile long hop, you should not experience any ill effects since the signal is so weak.  On the other hand, it's not a good idea to stand right in front of and next to a microwave dish for a long period of time. 

By the way, the term "radiation" is a generic term used to describe a signal that "radiates" from an antenna; it's not necessarily the same as what comes from an atomic bomb!  AM radio towers, which you have probably driven by for years, are also called "radiators", but they radiate on much lower frequencies as compared with cellular and microwave systems.

As long as you are not spending extended time right in front of the microwave antenna you should be fine.  The signs that you posted are generic industry signs and posted more for liability reasons than anything else.
thanks  I learnt some thing out of that post  ;D ;D

timberlinetree

Yikes! And to be honest, I wasn't just fueling up the skidder and working on chainsaws in front of this thing. While taking my lunches in front of this thing, I was getting really, really tired and started off taking short naps, but ended up getting up to an hour and a nap right there. Now we won't go anywhere near the front in any way, shape or form. Thanks so much for that info scsmith42!

kensfarm

Maybe time to call a lawyer.. epa.. osha.. who knows what the long term effects are.. should be posted for the entire area where there is danger.  Somebody should be held responsible.. pay the Dr bills.. Ken

beenthere

kensfarm

There were signs up, but OP said he didn't read them. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

scsmith42

Quote from: timberlinetree on September 08, 2014, 06:29:38 AM

Yikes! And to be honest, I wasn't just fueling up the skidder and working on chainsaws in front of this thing. While taking my lunches in front of this thing, I was getting really, really tired and started off taking short naps, but ended up getting up to an hour and a nap right there. Now we won't go anywhere near the front in any way, shape or form. Thanks so much for that info scsmith42!

You're welcome.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

kensfarm

I was thinking the signs should encompase the entire danger area.... Not just the fenced area.  Kinda like posting signs at the bottom of the cliff.. warning you about cliff.  Too late.

beenthere

ken
As I read it, we are not sure that the signs do not encompass the entire danger area. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. ;)

And the signs that were there, the OP said he didn't read them.
So how far outside the danger area should signs be placed? And would more signs help, or are we already at the point that there are so many danger signs on so many things that we pass our eyes right by them...
I don't know the answer...
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!