iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Top three woodworking machines that scare you...

Started by hackberry jake, August 27, 2014, 08:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Mesquite Buckeyes red gum eucalyptus thread got me to thinking. Different wood workers have various degrees of respect for different tools in the shop. Like, nobody is likley to be afraid of a palm sander, but pretty much everyone will probably have table saw in their top three that scare you. Scariest being number one, my top three are.

1. Table saw. The only tool that has ever really bit me... not really bit me but tried to send a push stick through my arm.

2. Shaper. Mainly just because they have a lot of rotating mass, especially with larger cutters.

3. Bandsaw. Recently bought one I am in the process of restoring, and I have VERY little experience using one. The noise they make when under load sounds like something out of a scary movie.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Dave Shepard

1. Radial Arm Saw (aka Radical Harm Saw)
2. Radial Arm Saw
3. Table Saw.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

hackberry jake

I have no idea how radial arm saws have such a bad rap. I feel pretty safe using mine. making cross cuts, it can't sling a board at you like a table saw can, and I can run a zero clearance back stop to eliminate it slinging small cut-offs like my compound miter saw does from time to time.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Dave Shepard

They have a tendency to cut peoples thumbs and hands off, if they are parked in the wrong spot.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mesquite buckeye

Shaper, especially open shaping freehand. :o :o
Jointer, especially when pushing the limits on length. :o
Radial Arm Launching device.
Table launching device.

Oh, that's 4. Oh well. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: hackberry jake on August 27, 2014, 09:04:33 PM
I have no idea how radial arm saws have such a bad rap. I feel pretty safe using mine. making cross cuts, it can't sling a board at you like a table saw can, and I can run a zero clearance back stop to eliminate it slinging small cut-offs like my compound miter saw does from time to time.

It just slings the board forward and kicks the saw back towards you, especially the old ones without kickback fingers. :o :o :o :snowball:

Any tool is dangerous if you do stupid things with it.

I've zinged myself pretty good with a palm sander. :(

Maybe we are naturally more careful with a machine that can do major damage. Hope so.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

beenthere

I respect the three, as well as the jointer and chop saw, but none of them "scare" me. 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Left Coast Chris

1)  Lancelot
2)  Bench top grinder
3)  Hand held beam saw  (16" blade)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

WDH

Tablesaw
Large router in router table
chopsaw (can chop off whole hand)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

Quote from: Left Coast Chris on August 27, 2014, 09:24:39 PM
1)  Lancelot
2)  Bench top grinder
3)  Hand held beam saw  (16" blade)
I had to look up lancelot... its the chainsaw grinder wheel thingy... Yeah... That's a good one.

hackberry jake

I once had a router bit come out of the router while in a cut... never did find it. I make sure the collet is plenty tight now a days.

WDH

When a big router bit is squalling, that is scary to me. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

clearcut

I once chucked a new bit into the router table and spun it up. The bit was out of balance and began wobbling and chewing through the insert. I ran and pulled the plug - I didn't want to get near the switch on the router. The router survived but the insert and bit were destroyed.

It gave me a healthy respect for how all power tools can become dangerous.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

Table saws, no bad things, but they can get you. The cheaper disk sanders, the ones with cheap rests, bout lost my finger nail when the small part was sucked into the wheel,  it happens really quick.  jointers aren't scary, just hard for me to get it right.  Sanders will bump once in a while, usually just  a good wake up call.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

hackberry jake

Nail guns... they can sure sneak up on a fella too.

scleigh

The table saw does actually scare me, so much that I sold mine. The chainsaw doesn't scare me, maybe it should. Back in March, I was trying to trim up the butt on a big poplar log with the 42" bar on my chainsaw, trying to avoid bibbying once on the mill. Well, that didn't turn out so well, when I tried to use my leg instead of the dogs for  leverage

Worst part of the whole accident was that I didn't go to the doctor until the next day. Too late for stitches, one month out of work and a leg brace. Dumb guy move the doc said.

sawguy21

YIKES!!! That could have been a whole bunch worse. I have a healthy respect for any power tool but chain saws, table saws and jointers are at the top of the list. I have a couple of fingers that got trimmed in table saws. And don't forget lathes, they demand full attention too.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

celliott

1. Tablesaw
2. Chainsaw
3. Woodsplitter

I know more guys that lost fingers in woodsplitters than tablesaws. But I know guys who have lost fingers in tablesaws also.
Still got all 10 thankfully.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

yukon cornelius

any old electric tools with a metal case. I have been buzzed by several when I pulle the trigger only to find out they have current leakage to the case. my cousin was 21 when he was killed by an old metal frame 1/2 inch drill. I pitched all mine the next day. PLEASE THROW THEM AWAY!!!

next, table saw. Yikes its more like a board launcher

next, chop saw. I had a small log I was cutting off hang up and it crushed the laser light on the back before hitting 3 of the 4 walls in my shop.

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

jueston

i spent a lot of money on a sawstop tablesaw because the table saw scared me the most... i knew several cabinet makers missing fingers growing up and i always said i wasn't going to be like them. one day i knicked myself making a cut that i knew was dangerous and i decided that day, that i would rather have some credit card debt and all my fingers then be missing my fingers and regretting my decision to wait...

but the only tool i've ever seriously injured myself on is the jointer.... i guess i had my fingers behind the piece pushing it, i don't really know because i didn't even feel the blades hit my finger, i only figured out something was wrong when i noticed the blood everywhere, but i made a full recovery, it wasn't nearly as bad as the blood everywhere might have made it seem.

1. jointer
2. tablesaw(but now i feel safer)
3. shaper or router in a table

Andries

Heard some statistics from a friend in the woodworking business;
- more injuries from the jointer than any other tool in the workshop. Unlike most of the other tools mentioned, the jointer damages body parts in such a way that there isn't anything for a surgeon to graft back on.
- injuries are most likely to happen in the first five years of machine usage (the owner hasn't yet learned how to align, maintain and use the machine) and after twenty-five years of machine use (complacency sets in)
My top three tools that demand respect:
* Chainsaw
* Jointer
* Framing Nailer
Lets play safe out there guys!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

giant splinter

I think that keeping up with the latest upgrades and add on safety equipment is a wise move, buying quality tools and keeping them fit with the latest safety upgrades is a must.
I also think that a lot of tools are scary and that keeping your guard up ( not your saw blade guard ) and maintaining an awareness of the dangers that cause damage and injury is most important to safety. Wear your safety gear when you need it and maintain it so that it is in working order, chances are that you may never have the opportunity to test your gear, but why take the chance.
My list of scary equipment:
1. 3hp Delta shaper
2. Rockwell/Delta tablesaw
3. Rockwell/Delta jointer

Keep it safe, keep safety in mind
roll with it

beenthere

Quote from: yukon cornelius on August 28, 2014, 08:26:00 AM
any old electric tools with a metal case. I have been buzzed by several when I pulle the trigger only to find out they have current leakage to the case. my cousin was 21 when he was killed by an old metal frame 1/2 inch drill. I pitched all mine the next day. PLEASE THROW THEM AWAY!!!

next, table saw. Yikes its more like a board launcher

next, chop saw. I had a small log I was cutting off hang up and it crushed the laser light on the back before hitting 3 of the 4 walls in my shop.

It is not the tools, but it is the operators. And ground wires need to be in place, and not the operator becoming the ground (like standing in water) when using any electric tool is a good idea.

I shudder when seeing the many electric devices women (mostly) use in the bathroom around sink faucets and running water. Doesn't take much to become the ground and get a lethal shock. Yet not often heard of.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!