iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Tires

Started by LeeB, August 27, 2014, 01:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Not really logging related, but I figured you guys could tell me. Do most of you buy your tires local or online? I need new tires for my backhoe.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

oros35

I've done both.  Unless it's a real good deal on internet tires, I've found just buying them local is right about the same cost and less work for me.  Plus they can get just about any tire within 1 day or so. 

luvmexfood

For farm tractor tires we have a small local guy who sells tires through the farm bureau. Cheaper than anyone else. Plus you are helping support a small business.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

chester_tree _farmah

The only time I have seen it worth buying online is when u buy the full mounted wheel and tire package. There are def savings there. Else not worth it. My tire place is great and price is comparable when u add mounting, balancing and new stems to the mail order tire price. Free rotation and no appointment needed for it. They now have a new policy where they will not mount tires not purchased from one of their stores.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

terry f

Buy local if possible, price is important but not everything. Is it possible to break down and change a skidder tire by hand, I'd like to see the man who could do that. Backhoe maybe, but not me.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: terry f on August 27, 2014, 04:18:27 PM
    Buy local if possible, price is important but not everything. Is it possible to break down and change a skidder tire by hand, I'd like to see the man who could do that. Backhoe maybe, but not me.
terry, i have done it..........it ain't fun but it can be done. break the bead carefully with the loader grapple, then start with two long tire bars..........and lots of water........to drink lol, yer gonna need it.

thecfarm

I have a place that comes right to my house. Mighty handy that is. I might be able to get it cheaper,but they come within 1-2 days.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ed in idaho

i could never make the online prices work the time you have them mounted. plus losing local dealers good will and help.

Ed

thenorthman

I've done it, not so bad on my little 18.4x26 tires, easier then motorcycle tires. Used the blade to break the bead, from there its just like a bicycle tire only bigger. Guy could probably pull it off with a farm jack or the old school bumper jacks (the bumper jacks are excellent for car tires). The folks at the tire shop just use one of them big bead breaker hammer things, but last one I seen for sale was over $100...

Costs about $100 to fix a tube through a local tire shop here, takes me about an hour to do one tire, and a patch kit is what $3... takes 2-4 hours to have the shop do it.

Also a big reason why I don't run liquid in my tires.

Any way to answer the original question, when I finally get some tires... I plan on going local, Online has great prices until you factor in shipping, and mounting then not so great... Find yerself one of those little commercial outfits, seems like the big chain stores either won't/don't sell them or charge about double what the little guys will.
well that didn't work

coxy

the nice thing about buying local is if some thing goes wrong with the tire they will try to help you(most will ) internet sales your kind a stuck and more money for shipping back if they will even talk about it       just my 10 cents

Corley5

Local.  Never looked into online because I'd want someone else to mount them anyway  ;) ;D  I've found them cheaper at places several hours away but by the time fuel and time away from production is factored in buying local is the way to go.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

lopet

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

treeslayer2003

Quote from: thenorthman on August 27, 2014, 09:26:59 PM

I've done it, not so bad on my little 18.4x26 tires, easier then motorcycle tires. Used the blade to break the bead, from there its just like a bicycle tire only bigger. Guy could probably pull it off with a farm jack or the old school bumper jacks (the bumper jacks are excellent for car tires). The folks at the tire shop just use one of them big bead breaker hammer things, but last one I seen for sale was over $100...

Costs about $100 to fix a tube through a local tire shop here, takes me about an hour to do one tire, and a patch kit is what $3... takes 2-4 hours to have the shop do it.

Also a big reason why I don't run liquid in my tires.

Any way to answer the original question, when I finally get some tires... I plan on going local, Online has great prices until you factor in shipping, and mounting then not so great... Find yerself one of those little commercial outfits, seems like the big chain stores either won't/don't sell them or charge about double what the little guys will.
shipping is a biggie. biggest iv done was a 34x25.......i had to get inventive on that one lol.

Autocar

Ive changed my 24.4 x 32 like treeslayer says bust the bead with the prentice loader then I make a clamp out of two 2x4's and press the tire togather so it lays in the bottom of the rim then plenty of Dawn dishing liquid and she will slip on like a greased shoe. Well maybe not that easy  ;D but it can be done,besides that Iam pretty tight  :D.
Bill

SPD748

I priced two 16.9-24 (R4) tires for one of my tractors, online. Best price I found was $1050 shipped. The local commercial tire business wanted $1300 installed with new tubes. After adding the cost of new tubes and installation to the price of the online tires, buying local was the better deal. Also, as others have said, you'll be supporting a local business  smiley_thumbsup

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

LeeB

I am and have been in full agreement with all of you in regard to buying local. Besides supporting the local economy, they have the equipment and know how, which I do not. I do not want to support the local hospital with out due cause. Lindy wanted me to ask you fellows and I have. She's just trying to save some of my money. ( must have something she wants to buy from the local online yard sales  :D :D)
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

thenorthman

If'n your worried about the danger of swapping tires yourself, seems the biggest issue is throwing out your back, skidder tires is heavy...  Other wise keep the air pressure at a reasonable level and you shouldn't have a problem.

Popping the bead on can be a little sketchy, but if you use tubes its not so bad, mostly its just noisy, and a if your really dumb you could lose a finger if you have it stuck between the rim and the tire while your filling it up... don't do that...

Like I said before the tire tools can be expensive, but a couple of crow bars, and regular old tire iron, and a bumper jack work in a pinch, just don't pinch the tube...  actual tire tools have blunt edges, where as crow bars can be a little sharp
well that didn't work

LeeB

I ain't worried about being able to do it, I just don't enjoy that kind of thing any more. I'd rather pay the local boys to come out with them on the back of the truck and do it instead of fussing with it.

ScottAR

I buy from a local place a couple miles from the house.  I used to buy from a place about 50 miles away as they were some cheaper but by the time you figure time and fuel it's the same money.   It also helps that if you buy the tires there they fix flats for no charge. 

As for changing the tires on a backhoe, it's got three bead breakers on the back of the machine and built in jacks.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

redprospector

Hard to find skidder tires local here...well, unless you consider a 2 hour drive local. There is a mobile tire repair guy I use that comes to the job. He charges by the hour, and by the mile. My 440b has 18.4 x 26 tires, and the most he's charged me to fix one, or change one out was, I think about $105.00 plus tax.
At that rate I can't afford to do it myself.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

timberlinetree

I buy from the small local guy. Family business that's been around since the 80's. The guys like me there, I tip them every time. They are hard workers and have a Candy jar! :D
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

lopet

redprospector         Just make sure he's not reading your post, or he will charge you double next time  :)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

BargeMonkey

Unless its a huge difference in price we do all our tires with a local guy, they remember that.  I recently had a tube go on my jack, he showed up same day to get me going, just something to think about.

Thank You Sponsors!