TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Comstock Logging

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: hydrogen to run engines  (Read 5446 times)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
Re: hydrogen to run engines
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2014, 09:26:02 pm »

And then there is the "Ka Boom" problem.  ::)

Hmm.  Wasn't that part of the issue with the Hindenburg?
I think the Hindenberg pretty much put the stoppers in hydrogen for fuel about like three mile island did for nuclear  power .The kaboob factor did it .

Offline Alligator

• Born behind the slab pile, have turpentine blood
    • Alligator Casey
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2014, 10:50:59 pm »
I don't think the "Hindenberg" or "Ka Boom" factor are effecting the use of hydrogen in this day and age. We have so many, as explosive or more explosive materials or other more deadly materials around us, it would terrify you to know.  The Hindenberg was not using it as fuel nor containing as we contain our explosive fuels. It was more or less contained in a huge pillow case. (over simplification) None the less not well protected against leaks.

Feasibility is hydrogen's problem. With the raw resource being free, the energy to separate the 2 hydrogen atoms from the one oxygen atom is equal to or less than the amount of energy produced. Petroleum doesn't come out of the ground as gasoline, it has to be separated. Petroleum and water are both natural resources. A BTU of gasoline today cost $0.00002632 give or take 100 or so millionth of a cent. The person who can get the cost of a BTU of hydrogen one hundred thousandth of a cent of that will become a very rich person. 8) 8) This is not a perpetual motion machine, the fuel is locked it water, and no one has figured a way to extract mass quantities at a rate per BTU anywhere close to gasoline price above. That number is an inflated number because it includes taxes.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Offline Brucer

• Senior Member x2
  • The Kootenay Sawyer - retired (for now)
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2014, 01:11:21 am »
... the energy to separate the 2 hydrogen atoms from the one oxygen atom is equal to or less than the amount of energy produced...

It cannot be less than the amount of energy produced. You can only get back from combustion what you used to separate the atoms in the first place. First law of thermodynamics.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw with two 6' extensions.
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Offline Gary_C

• Senior Member x2
  • Sunrise on the Prairie
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2014, 11:29:13 am »

It cannot be less than the amount of energy produced. You can only get back from combustion what you used to separate the atoms in the first place. First law of thermodynamics.

The first law is only true for a closed system. It does not say you cannot allow energy to escape in a process.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2014, 03:51:49 pm »
The first law is only true for a closed system. It does not say you cannot allow energy to escape in a process.

True, but if you allow energy to escape from said closed system, it must eventually "run down". If energy is escaping from your system, then you need to be adding more in some way. Falling water to turn your generator, sunshine on your solar panel, fuel added to the gas tank etc.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline Brucer

• Senior Member x2
  • The Kootenay Sawyer - retired (for now)
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2014, 12:08:36 am »
We agree, Gary. In this case the suggestion (if I understood it correctly) was that the system would have a net gain in energy. Hence my reference to the first law.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw with two 6' extensions.
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2015, 12:04:44 pm »
I had an uncle who was (he died a few yrs. ago at age 93) a Dr. of geophysics. He told me that he was certain that in the next half century, lots of energy would be made from electrolysis of water. He never lost his faculties even at 93. He envisioned wave power generators anchored offshore, electrolyzing water and then piping the hydrogen onshore where it would fire electric turbines.
He was a mental giant in my view, in everything he ever did, as well as those who worked with him (in 1952 Van had taken enough courses in math, physics, geology, and chemistry to have graduated with a major in any of the above. [taken from http://virtualmuseum.seg.org/bio_robert_van_nostrand.html) I hope he was right, waves are a free energy source and a big system run that way seems far safer than nuclear when there are people out there who consider it an honor to destroy another people.
logging small time for years but just learning how, with a Forest stewardship plan, 2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, sugar maple/maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time

Offline HuckFin

• I'm new!
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2015, 01:39:42 pm »
I can make hydrogen for next to nothing. I have a micro/hydroelectric system that runs 24/7 charging 8 L16 batteries. When the batteries reach full charge the excess voltage is used to power a heater, (to keep the alternator from over revving) so instead of using the heater for a governor, I could make hydrogen instead but don't feel that adventurous.

Offline Bill

• Why Not ?
    • Photos
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2015, 06:20:56 pm »
fwiw - I recall an article some time back about some researchers that claimed to have found a simple organism ( from a swamp or volcano or ??? ) that took in - oops I forget - but one of the byproducts was hydrogen . Now lest anyone jump to conclusions - it was some time ago - after those folks that claimed that they'd solved " cold fusion " but some time back none the less . Now I'm not saying it was a hoax or not - just that its failed to make  more recent news .

Bottom line - imho - its more expensive to make hydrogen than to just use the fuel you would have used to make hydrogen .

Offline Gary_C

• Senior Member x2
  • Sunrise on the Prairie
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2015, 03:41:23 am »
The search for a way to produce hydrogen economically is not over. 

Hydrogen fuel breakthrough could pave the way for clean cars

This is research done by scientists at Virginia Tech, peer reviewed, and published in the proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. The only thing left to do is scale the process up to prove it is feasible on a large scale. But that is always easier said than done.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2015, 04:35:51 am »
May be practical.  But will it be better to turn the organic material into methane or methanol, which are also practical fuels, and already pretty well proven in auto use.

Sure Hydrogen burns cleaner, and your car has no carbon emissions. But the by-product of their reaction is CO2, so the CO2 emissions is the same, just in another place.

But I agree that if you want hydrogen, that would be a good way to produce it.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Online Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2016, 07:22:52 pm »
I made my own Hydrogen fuel cells It was fun but sure not worth it.
You use as much energy making the fuel as you get out of it.
I made a Hydrogen torch. Now that was hard to do with out blowing my self up.
And i did all this in my basment. But it was all fun...
Collector and builder of many things.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill
and a bunch of new forum friends.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2016, 10:37:39 am »
One basic law of physics regarding matter is it is neither made or destroyed only that its form is changed .

Take for example the U-boats of the US Navy I once rode .We took sea water and separated the elements reaping the oxegon and burned off the hydrogen and carbon monoxide which was returned to the sea .We breathed the O2 and gave off Co2 which was also returned to the sea .Nothing changed in the broad spectrum of things .It wasn't like we lowered the oceans of the world either .However in all of this it took a form of energy to accomplish. Like they say there is no free wood pile .

Offline ozarkgem

• Senior Member x2
  • age 65 yrs old
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2016, 08:45:13 pm »
I have a friend that works at a Wal Mart distribution center and some of the forklifts have hydrogen fuel cells instead of batteries. I ask him to get me the info off the fuel cell so I could research it. He said they have  a filling station for the fuel cells. I found that quite interesting .
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2016, 11:03:15 pm »
I can see how it would be practical for a forklift being used inside. They wont want CO from a propane engine poisoning people, a tank of hydrogen can store a lot more energy than a battery, and can be refueled relatively normally (in minutes), as opposed to a battery that needs hours to recharge.

Offline starmac

• I'm new!
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2016, 12:28:03 am »
I would like to see more info on these hydrogen run forklifts, every warehouse I have ever been in in the last 30 years or so used propane forklifts or electric, I have never heard od any hydrogen powered ones at all.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Offline ozarkgem

• Senior Member x2
  • age 65 yrs old
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2016, 07:10:12 am »
I would like to see more info on these hydrogen run forklifts, every warehouse I have ever been in in the last 30 years or so used propane forklifts or electric, I have never heard od any hydrogen powered ones at all.
[/quote
Me either. that is why I asked him to get me the info on it. All I have ever seen were battery powered. I also saw a Wal Mart truck with a sign saying it was powered by Compressed Natural gas.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Offline plantman

• I'm new!
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2017, 04:57:03 pm »
Ianab stated correctly that it takes more power to create the hydrogen than you get from burning the hydrogen. Forget it, and keep buying gasoline like the rest of us.