iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

enormous Walnut burl

Started by oakiemac, August 26, 2014, 08:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

Haven't been on the forum in a while-hope everyone is doing well.

Anyways I have a large walnut burl completely wrapped around the trunk. I'd say the burl is in places 24" measured from the tree trunk to outer part of burl and its about 4' long. It is still on the log which is about 10' long.
I don't deal a lot in burls so I am wondering what the burl is worth as it is attached to the log?
As far as cutting it, Im thinking of slicing it about 6/4 or 8/4 and cut the smaller pieces into turning blanks.

All ideas and thoughts would be appreciated. ;D
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

WDH

No advice, but I can give you a thought......."DanG, I wish that I had found it!"
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

Do you have a pic to post?  8)

And missed you on the forum.  ;)  Glad to see you back.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mikeb1079

you may want to pm member qbilder, he's our resident burl expert.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

WmFritz

And then there's @Burlkraft

( I love this new tool! )
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

qbilder

By no means expert, but I wana see pics!!!! And maybe interested in buying.
God bless our troops

oakiemac

I posted pictures on my facebook page. Hickory&Oak sawmilling and lumber co.

Check it out there.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

qbilder

God bless our troops

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

oakiemac

what? No facebook? You two must be the 2 Americans that they talk about on the news who don't yet have a facebook account. Just kidding. I probably wouldn't either except for my business and its about the only way I hear what my kids are up to.
I'll post them here or on --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!-- later tonight if I get time.

red oaks lumber

i have no facebook either :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

wetdog

Me neither, glad to hear I'm not alone.   :o

Jeff

Oakiemac you have been here way long enough to know the drill on posting photos. Seems like a pretty fair trade to put the photos up in exchange for being able to pole the audience...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

qbilder

I don't have a smart phone, either. I refuse. Wouldn't know how to work it, anyway. I got one of those unbreakable flip phones made for contractors, that can be dropped, ran over, thrown, flushed, etc. & still works. Everybody makes fun of me for using a flip phone but I'm never the guy complaining that my phone is acting up.
God bless our troops

Magicman

I am also "face free" and I have a flip phone.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rasman57

After 30 years of Criminal investigations and arrests for every type of crime from Murder to Fraud, it just amazes me that people will go to those "social" sites like Facebook and just blab all kinds of personal and family information.  I hate being negative as most folks are good people but that is EXACTLY the type of prey the bad guys love.  Identity Theft, Burglary, Sex Offenders,,, you name it and the idiots go after it.   Craigslist is DANGER CLOSE if you dont pay attention to protecting yourself.

At least most people try and protect their kids now.  Always assume the public information is being read by people that have been locked up or should be.  Common sense should always be the fundamental guide.  Too often people think it is "just my friends and family" who pay attention to Facebook etc. 

The WEB is a great resource and offers untold windows to the world if used right but it is hard to have much privacy we learned over the years. 

There is my free counsel worth what you paid!   The world is full of good people.  Just have some perspective always on the dark side of things lying in wait.   Take comfort in the fact that people go to work hard everyday to keep it safe and try to protect the American way.    Keep The Faith!

rasman57

Pictures here are the best!

Larry

Just think of all the business you will get when you post your Walnut Burl picture here and it comes up number one on google images every time somebody does a walnut burl search.

You will have to add another sawmill, an accountant, and bigger kiln to keep up with business.  Probably need an armored car to take the money to the bank.  The east coast specialty hardwood mills will die from lack of business as you have it all.

No facebook hooey for me...I use the kids login!
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

GAmillworker

Here you go for those wanting pics

Thank the Lord for second chances

beenthere

Oakiemac
I think your original thought would be good.

QuoteIm thinking of slicing it about 6/4 or 8/4 and cut the smaller pieces into turning blanks.
south central Wisconsin

Autocar

Cool looking burl the next question dose it have in grown bark and carpender ants. The one I had sawed up last winter was three feet in diamiter and looked like a ball but when we sawed it between ants and in grown bark it wasn't so great plus mine had a lot of sap wood [ white ].
Bill

woodyone.john

Me thinks sell whole as a burl[list ,offer widely] then offer to slice or dice by the hour.
cheers john[/list]
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

oakiemac

Ok sorry, didn't mean to start an anti facebook campaign. Not sure what the "drill" is I guess-just mentioned they were posted on facebook.
Anyways, thanks Gamiller for posting them here. That one picture looks a little x rated I was told by some but it was just taken at a bad angle. I cut a little off the edge with my chain saw, maybe 1.5" thick, and it was all sapwood. I think I'll cut into with the mill it and see what it looks like. I'll post the pictures here as well (and just forget I mentioned FB). ;D

rasman57

"Ok sorry, didn't mean to start an anti facebook campaign."

I did not mean to criticize your specific FB reference if that is how it was perceived.  Again, I think if the wide open social sites are used with common sense then they are great for the users that choose to participate.  Offers a very connecting place for lots of folks when reasonably careful.  That's what I was trying to put forth...the caution based on my experience.   Still a bunch of people that just choose not to and I was just putting forth one of the concerns I have.  Heck, some people just like simple still. 
    Many of us that do not use those sites have a variety of reasons for not doing so and I think the crowd here was just saying they did not want to miss out on your neat photos and burl story. In this fast paced web world sometimes we forget that everyone is not all hooked up and gridded in.   It's what makes us great in the USA.
Glad we got to see it here!  Cool piece of wood!   Sorry to swerve your thread a little.  :)

oakiemac

Update on the walnut "burl".
I found it was not a true burl but did have a lot of very interesting grain patterns. I cut it into 5/4, 6/4 and 8/4 lumber and left a big 3" thick live edge slab for a table top. The slab is 3x54x43.
Even though not a burl-still pretty neat wood. Should sell quick once I get it dried.

Thank You Sponsors!