iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

To mill, or not to mill?

Started by deepsouth.us, August 26, 2014, 04:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deepsouth.us

So I stumbled onto some 1800's hand hewn American Chestnut beams. Big, heavy beams. My original thought was to keep them as whole as possible due to the historical significance. I intended to utalise one for a mantle, and the others as solid stairs in my new home. However, I sliced a little piece off the end of one of the beams just to take a peek inside this morning. In doing so I discovered some of the most amazingly beautiful wood that I've seen. My new line of thinking is that I simply must crack these babies open, and turn them into cabinets.

So the question is; to mill or not to mill? What say you?
Timberking 2000

cutterboy

I say" mill them". Give them a new life as cabinets and furniture. Let people see the beauty of the wood.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

When you die....you can't take them with you.

Mill
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

How many beams is my first question, what size are these beams, which would determine to a point on the available bd footage. (apprx).  Then at this point figure your need for cabinets and if it works out get your mantel as well.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

woodworker9

I wouldn't hesitate to mill the beams and turn them into lasting furniture or cabinetry.  There's nothing historically significant about a bunch of dirty old beams laying in the dirt in a barn......
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Dave Shepard

How bad is the checking? If the beams aren't really sound, they usually don't make good lumber.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

BCsaw

Save a piece for the mantel and then...............................
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

WDH

Mill them and make furniture that will live on a long time. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

4x4American

Got any photographs to post?  I vote to mill also.  I bet that the folks from back in the day would be all about it!
Boy, back in my day..

kczbest

The beautiful wood you saw when you cut a little off the end has been hidden for too long. All of that beautiful has been waiting to be seen for a looooooooong time! Mill it a post plenty of pictures.
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

Delawhere Jack

Whatever you choose, make it something that will be around for another 150-200 years..

Ga Mtn Man

Here's some pics of a job I did some time ago sawing wormy American chestnut hand-hewn logs from a 130 year old cabin:

Some pics of the chesnut used in customer's home:

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

BmoreReclaimed

From a furniture makers standpoint, I would bust it all into 4/4 and 5/4 and not think twice.  You will be glad you did. 

Ianab

Boards don't have to be perfect to make good furniture, especially if you are going for the whole reclaimed look anyway. Mill some and see what it looks like. Even if you loose a bit trimming around serious defects you should still recover some good($$) stuff.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Nomad

If those timbers were mine I'd mill 'em in a heartbeat. ;D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dboyt

I'd mill, but leave the outside boards (with the hewing marks) a little 8/4 for the custom woodworkers to play with.  Nothing wrong with giving those beams new life!  Ga Mtn Man has set the bar high.  If his photos don't convince you, nothing will!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

beenthere

Quote from: deepsouth.us on August 26, 2014, 04:38:56 PM
So I stumbled onto some 1800's hand hewn American Chestnut beams. Big, heavy beams. My original thought was to keep them as whole as possible due to the historical significance. I intended to utalise one for a mantle, and the others as solid stairs in my new home. However, I sliced a little piece off the end of one of the beams just to take a peek inside this morning. In doing so I discovered some of the most amazingly beautiful wood that I've seen. My new line of thinking is that I simply must crack these babies open, and turn them into cabinets.

So the question is; to mill or not to mill? What say you?

From the pics in your gallery posted on this date just a year ago, looks like you milled the beams and have refurbished a kitchen out quite nicely. Will let you bring your pics into a post to tell about the project unfolding this past year.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

deepsouth.us

Well its been a year since I asked the question so figured I'd give an update.  A sincere thank you to those who weighed in on this. I'm proud to say I took y'alls advice. The project was both highly rewarding and educating.

A couple things I learned are as follows. I learned that this ole stuff is hard as a brick. I learned that there is only so much a cheap harbor freight metal detector will do. I learned that an old hand made iron spike will make a band saw scream bloody murder. I learned that when a fella orders a certain amount of bands from Timberking in a relatively short amount of time they'll send ya a hat or two. I learned that an ole handmade iron spike will also make a planer scream bloody murder (that section of lumber wasn't meant to go into the planer, but my help missed that part). I learned it's best to order more planer knives than ya think ya need (saves on shipping cost and down time). Last, but not least, I learned how remarkably rewarding it is to re-birth an old piece of history into something that will again be around for a good while to come.

I'm no Ga Mtn Man, but I think the project came out okay.

Timberking 2000

4x4American

8)   8)  great work!  glad you sawed em!
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

kensfarm

Nice kitchen..  that will make the Mrs happy. 

deepsouth.us

Thanks, guys.

Quote from: kensfarm on August 26, 2015, 09:25:20 PM
Nice kitchen..  that will make the Mrs happy.
It certainly has made the Mrs happy, but it should as she designed it. In fact she designed the entire house. That was the "official deal". We could live deep in the sticks if she could build the house she wanted.
Timberking 2000

johnnyllama

You made the right decision. Nearly 40 years ago I built a kitchen out of wormy chestnut and fell in love with the wood ($2 a bd.ft.).
Now, I see prices running well over $10 a ft. when you can find it so it only makes sense to mill it up and use it. Nice work!
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

Thank You Sponsors!