iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Progress update on my Garrett 20

Started by tantoy, August 25, 2014, 11:22:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tantoy

Progress update on my Garrett 20. Original thread here when I bought it in February. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,73068.msg1104831.html#msg1104831 .
Just to recap , when I purchased the skidder, the previous owner told me that the engine had been recently overhauled and that it was allowed to freeze without antifreeze. When he added water to the radiator water poured out from around the head. The skidder was parked for 2-3 years after the freeze damage.
When I got it home I  was giving it a close look over and noticed that the muffler was covered, but that the top of the muffler was rusted out. I took the muffler off and saw standing water in the manifold. Bummer, at this point I realized this was not going to be a "paint job rebuild" project.
I pulled the  engine/transmission out. The engine was seized so I removed the head. Soaked the pistons in penetrating oil for about 2 months and was able to turn the engine over enough to remove the pistons.  One of the liners was badly pitted even after honing. I removed all 3 liners even though I planed to reuse 2 of them because I wanted to replace the liner o rings. I sourced a good used liner from an acquaintance of my dad. Even with the pistons removed the engine had a stiff spot when rolling it over which turned out to be a split lobe on the blower rubbing the other lobe. I later learned that this is a common problem if water gets into the blower and freeze breaks the lobe. The skidder purchase came with a spare parts engine, so I tore apart the blower on that engine only to find the exact same thing.  I was able to take the good lobe from the parts engine and the good lobe from the skidder engine and make a working blower. I also installed new blower seals. There was also one freeze plug missing on the head behind the exhaust manifold, and the oil cooler housing was freeze cracked.
Fired up engine and ran it for an hour. Painted the engine, installed new input and output seals on the Warner t-98 transmission. Relined the parking brake band.
The rear right wheel was flopping around so I tore into the planetary and found the wheel bearing adjusting nut striped out. Repaired nut and re sealed planetary.
This weekend I split the frame because of the slop in the center pins. Turned out the Torrington ball bushing was mostly disintegrated. 

1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

terry f

barbender

Well, for all your time and effort you will have a nice machine that you know inside and out, and there is really nothing out there new being made to replace it. That engine looks nice! I have an idea what the whole machine will look like when you get done ;)
Too many irons in the fire

chester_tree _farmah

Yeah looks good! Bummer she was so rough.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

jd540b

Good going on the rebuild.  I'm running into similar problems.  I traded my skidder even for one that was "all gone through and redone". HA!  Had a nice paint job and some new chains-other than that she was pretty much junk!!!
Been wrenching on it pretty much since day I got it.  Gaining though and will be a good machine.  I will never get another one without taking time to dig into it a bit.

thenorthman

Excellent, good to see ya making progress. 8)

Keep it up, and keep us posted, I may have to talk ya into let me do some hot laps when its all done :laugh:
well that didn't work

mad murdock

Thanks for the pics and the update tantoy! That is going to be a sweet machine when you git er done 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thecfarm

Keep the pictures and updates coming. Kinda intertesting to look back on it in a few years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sprucebunny

Good for you for keeping at it.
Thanks for the pictures and I hope to see more !

Ya, I'm thinking if I ever buy anything else, it will be worth it to pay about a Grand to have a real mechanic check it out ::)  :)

And I bought something that ran  :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

tantoy

Thanks for the support guys. Very fun project. Its so cool to be able to buy parts for this machine and no be held hostage by a dealer.
Also question for anyone has run one of these smaller Garretts. The service brake on this machine is on the back of the transfer case, seems like it is a little small for the size of this machine. Do other Garrett's have 4 wheel brakes? I bought a new set of linings and am re sealing the transfer case to keep oil out of the drum.

1968 Garrett 20 Skidder

MT logger

Most Garretts of that period had the parking brake on the transmission and a service brake disc and caliper on transfer case and front drive line. Both brakes had locking levers and the service brake operated with pedal.

brendonv

I dont need one, buy would surely buy a skidderr like that if i ran across one.

Nice job
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Holmes

Think like a farmer.

tantoy

Quote from: Holmes on December 20, 2014, 04:49:49 PM
How is it going?
Holmes,
Making good but slow progress. I have been meaning to make an update and pictures. Will do so tomorrow morning, thanks for the interest!
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder

bushmechanic

Good job on the rebuild and at least you will know what's in under you when you go in the woods. My TJ 201B  had that same brake setup and nothing else so I fabed up a rotor and caliper from a dodge dakota and installed on it in place of the drum brake, works perfect.

tantoy

Quote from: bushmechanic on December 21, 2014, 07:16:42 AM
Good job on the rebuild and at least you will know what's in under you when you go in the woods. My TJ 201B  had that same brake setup and nothing else so I fabed up a rotor and caliper from a dodge dakota and installed on it in place of the drum brake, works perfect.
At least I have no grade to speak of at our property.
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder

tantoy

So I dint like the upper pivot bearing support that had one patch welded over another patch.

So we cut that out and made a new support out of 3/4". 

Painting the frame.

Assembled the engine transmission into the frame, got the hydraulic tank filled, a few new hydraulic lines for the steering and fired it up. At this point I took my first ever drive in a skidder! This was about mid October.

Drove into the shop under her own power. Note the Garrett and Skidder my Dad painted on the frame for me.

Some body work.

And this was just the last few weekends. We put the blade on to determine the stroke of the new hydraulic cylinders. The original ones were not worth rebuilding for the cost of new ones from surplus center. 

Fitting the cab and building new mounts. I am not a fan of the look of tis cab, but its what I have. My guess is sometime along the way someone fell a tree on the original one so they built this one.

Next up is the winch, gearmatic # 9. I bought another one with visibly less hours on it than mine, but it will still need a going thru. Well that's it for now.
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder

JoeB

One of my favorites from long ago.
You should be commended 4 taking the time and doing it right, and NOT sending it to china! Good Job! Merry Christmas!

Holmes

Think like a farmer.

Lazy logger

I know the voices in my head aren't real,but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!

sandersen

"Make every step count."

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lopet

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Ron Scott

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!