iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lube tank vent cap replacement?

Started by Ga Mtn Man, August 23, 2014, 08:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga Mtn Man

I've lost the vent cap for the lube tank on my LT40 and WM doesn't offer a replacement.  I've checked every cap on every bottle in my house and can't find anything to fit.  I'm thinking of threading the inside of the hole and installing some sort of a one-way air admittance valve.  Anyone got an idea or suggestion?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Dave Shepard

What, you don't like getting squirted on the head when the mill stops? :D I still have my original, I think, but the tank is long gone. Ordered two new tanks this summer, and put the caps in the toolbox. I bet something could be found a McMaster-Carr, or something like that. Let us know, I would thread mine and put a vent in there.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

I just screwed the top on tight and drilled a small hole in the tank beside it with my knife point.  If I lost the cap, I would use Goop or something to close that hole.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

leroy in kansas

Well, ya could measure the size needed then go to the supermarket or walmart and buy what ever has the correct size.   8)

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Magicman on August 23, 2014, 10:37:40 PM
I just screwed the top on tight and drilled a small hole in the tank beside it with my knife point.  If I lost the cap, I would use Goop or something to close that hole.

I don't think I could sleep at night knowing I had bored a hole in my mill with a knife and covered another with Goop.  I'm just a little too up-tight about things like that for my own good. :-\
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

LeeB

My lube tank came from WM with a hole already bored in it. Same with the new one I just bought. actually never noticied it until I got the new one. No vent valve. I must be missing some part of the equation here.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Nomad

Getting splashed with lube when the mill stops is annoying.  (I can't find a cap that fits it either.)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: LeeB on August 23, 2014, 11:18:45 PM
My lube tank came from WM with a hole already bored in it. Same with the new one I just bought. actually never noticied it until I got the new one. No vent valve. I must be missing some part of the equation here.

Mine has had a small screw-on cap just above the handle that is intended to be loosened to vent the tank.

sprucebunny

I don't know what the cap looks like but here's an idea.

Find a cap that is a little bigger. Cover the threads  on the tank with plastic wrap.
Put silicone caulk into the cap. ( you may need to thicken the silicone by mixing corn starch into it. This will also make it set up faster)
Put the cap on the threaded part and let it set up.
Voila ! ???

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

LeeB

Do you suppose that would be diesel resistant?  :D I sure could have used an idea like that the other day.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

bandmiller2

I would call wood-mizer  and ask who they buy the tanks from, that company has a whole bin full. Probibly some gas can top would work unless WM gets the tanks from Hong Kong Harry. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

petefrom bearswamp

I'm guessing that you fellows (and gals) must ride, walk or have the command control center in the factory position.
I have swung  my CC about 20 degrees inward as I got tired of craning my neck to look down the log/cant.
Board return is not a problem as i built a deflection piece to keep the boards from hitting me.
My lube/coolant bottle came without a cap.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Correct LeeB.  The older lube jugs did not have a screw cap, just a small pre-drilled vent hole.  I did not like the new one because I forgot to loosen the cap a few times.  Retrofitting it back like the old one was worked fine.

Loosen up Paul, a vent hole will not end the world.  Use your drill and it will make a neater hole.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: bandmiller2 on August 24, 2014, 08:00:48 AM
I would call wood-mizer  and ask who they buy the tanks from, that company has a whole bin full. Probibly some gas can top would work unless WM gets the tanks from Hong Kong Harry. Frank C.

I did call WM GA and WM Indy and was told by both that replacement caps are not available.

Quote from: Magicman on August 24, 2014, 08:35:54 AM
Correct LeeB.  The older lube jugs did not have a screw cap, just a small pre-drilled vent hole.  I did not like the new one because I forgot to loosen the cap a few times.  Retrofitting it back like the old one was worked fine.

Loosen up Paul, a vent hole will not end the world.  Use your drill and it will make a neater hole.   ;D

I can't do it Magicman.  This is a non-problem that requires an engineering fix.  I'm on it smiley_book2_page :).

LeeB

Go to a wine makers supply and get a spigot. You can then drill a 1/2" hole in the jug and affix the spigot. Open the valve for venting and close it for storage.

drobertson

Lost mine years ago, I just fill below the hole,  I have stuck a stick in it,  I kinda liked the idea of a larger cap filled with silicon,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

LeeB

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Jeff's probably got several Forestry Forum caps left.  running-doggy
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

LeeB

tjhammer

Ga Mtn Man I have on ideal what size the cap size is but if a wine bottle cork will fit drill a hole in the cork and install a clear plastic hose long enough to fall over so the saw dust won't be sucked in the tank wine corks are great tools tj
hammer

terrifictimbersllc

5/16 bolt coarse thread blocks the splash and spill but still lets in air
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: LeeB on August 24, 2014, 09:26:57 AM
This looks even better and I think I'll order a pack for all of my gas cans.

http://www.amazon.com/YELLOW-Chilton-Briggs-Rotopax-Rubbermaid/dp/B00MNC6L24/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1JD03J1NH957TX15FZGE

I'll have to check the inside diameter of the existing spout to see if these will work but, regardless, I'm gonna order some of these for my gas cans.  Good find!

LeeB

You got me started, but yeah, good find. may have to put this on the general board for everyone to see. We all hate the new style gas cans.

j-dland

A boat plug works well for me , and the hole is big enough for adding water from a hose.
David

beenthere

QuoteWe all hate the new style gas cans.

I must be different, or have a different "new style".  I have the "no spill" style.  No venting problems and like the cans.

http://www.amazon.com/No-Spill-1450-5-Gallon-Poly-Compliant/dp/B000W9JN4S
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

trapper

Quote from: beenthere on August 24, 2014, 02:48:53 PM
QuoteWe all hate the new style gas cans.

I must be different, or have a different "new style".  I have the "no spill" style.  No venting problems and like the cans.

http://www.amazon.com/No-Spill-1450-5-Gallon-Poly-Compliant/dp/B000W9JN4S
Fleet farm, and tractor supply now sell them.  I bought one at the logging congress a couple years ago and like it.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

bandmiller2

Rubber butt plug would probably work. Frank C.

Ga Mtn Man

I'm afraid to even ask...What the heck is a rubber butt plug? :o

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Brucer

Perhaps someone who hasn't lost their's yet could scan it and send you the file. Then you could go to your local library and 3D print it :D :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

bandmiller2

Ga mtn man, measure the opening and the outside thread. Hard to believe we can't come up with something. Even a tapered wood plug would work. Frank C.

Magicman

A golf tee would work well, but it would keep Paul from sleeping.   zzzz_smiley   :D

Ga Mtn Man

There have been several good ideas posted already.  I've ordered the vents that LeeB posted and in the mean time I'm going to try a 5/16" bolt as terriffictimbersllc suggested.  Ideally I would like something that lets air in but no liquid out.  There is a nylon check valve on mcmaster-carr that I think would work but it's $15 plus shipping.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#one-way-flow-valves/=tfkm5j

So you're not gonna tell me what a rubber butt plug is ???.

sprucebunny

Rubber butt plug that I am familiar with is used on a boat.
Usualley about a ⅝" or larger opening.
Famous for being forgotten  :D
Rubber sleeve between two washers that are brought closer together by a bolt /eye bolt sort of thing.
There is also a flipper with a cam to further expand the rubber sleeve.
:)

Sorry my threaded plug thing isn't useful. Ya... I'd just put a screw/bolt of some kind in it.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

beenthere

SB
Those plugs were used years ago for plugging a thermos bottle.
That delicate bottle in the lunch box that would keep things cold or hot, and used everyday for school lunch. 

Called Snap-tite IIRC.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

autotomk

first post here on the forum  ive only been registered since 09 hellow to every one  very impresed with forum.   hope to join in with topics  defenently could use help with strugling buisness.  my vent cap disapered in the saw dust long time ago  i just stuck small screw in hole  still vents and no splash  im not seeing spell checker that could be trouble for me, or i guess you guys ??? 
To God be the glory.

LeeB

Welcome autotomk. Don't worry too much about the spell check. You're assuming we can read.  :D :D

Ga Mtn Man

Never one to leave well enough alone, here's what I came up:

A PCV valve with 3/8" barb, cost less than $4.  Drilled the spout to 3/8" and tapped the valve in with a rubber mallet for a water-tight fit.

Upside down with fluid in the tank and no leaks :).

Magicman

Congrats.  Does this mean that you can now sleep at night ??   ???   8)

thecfarm

autotomk,google has a spell check,thank God!!!! But there are times I think all is well and I don't check it.  ::) or I get my words messed up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

autotomk

i guess i see your problem now  my lube tank has the vent in the back( oposite the handle) and sticking up,  2002 lt 40hd
To God be the glory.

Thank You Sponsors!