iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New technology leaves a normal lad high an dry

Started by cutter88, August 23, 2014, 08:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutter88

Has anyone else noticed all this newer technology on equipment can sure leave you with a "dumb" stare when somthing goes wrong... My remote controller for my winch screwed up on my skidder today and there was nothing I could do but park it and call the company that installed it to send a tech on Monday...
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

chester_tree _farmah

Yup. Just like the new trucks and cars. There is something to be said for simplicity. Technology is awesome until it breaks. ;-)
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

1270d

its a challenge I enjoy trying to figure out things on the harvester.  The tech support people do most of the troubleshooting but will teach a lot as well.

redprospector

I guess on a harvester a computer might be needed. But I really don't want anything to do with a piece of forestry equipment with a computer. The only one I have right now is a Bobcat with a forestry mulcher on it. It's an 08 so it's not as bad as the new stuff. All the rest of my equipment, with the exception of my 05 Dodge, is old enough there are no computers anywhere near them, and I like it that way.  ;D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Woodboogah

There are times when technology is helpful and saves some time.  Other then that it's out of control, IMO.  I could go without and try hard to.  I am young(er) and have no use for it. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

barbender

Cutter88, is that a radio remote for your winch, then? I always though one of those would be slick, especially in a thinning where you are continually walking back to the machine to run the winch. 1270d, I actually enjoy troubleshooting the electronics too. More so than laying under the belly pan with hydraulic fluid running down my face. I've often wondered about a "backwards" technology processor, for small time guys, firewood and such. A measuring system set up like an old speedometer/odometer etc. I usually have these thoughts when broke down with an electronic problem ::)
Too many irons in the fire

Autocar

Nothing against the new stuff but myself I love my older equipment. If my stuff stops give me a few minuites and I can figure it out and the away I go again. This past summer I pulled up to a busy intersection wanting to cross a state highway,just as I started it was like someone shut the truck off. There I sat blocking both lanes with a truck load of logs plus the tag trailer was loaded. I put the truck in reverse and used the starter to push it off the intersection, do that with a new truck [ I don't think so ]. Popped the hood and turned the fuel celenoide to manual and away I went  ;D.
Bill

ely

seen that new tech on a brush cutter at work a couple months back... it is a terex brand and it worked great until it warmed up good then it would shut down. it would idle, but everything else locked out. the lift arms were up just a touch so the door would open to let the operator out.ac would not cool enough to get the sweat off of you inside the cab. the tech came out and looked at it for us and found nothing... he would come out while it was cool in the morning and leave before it got hot enough to lock out.
I did some checking and found out the crew that had it before us overfilled the hyd system, it runs down the radiator and dust clogs the air flow. then it gets hot and shuts down.... I used 3 gallons of degreaser and a pressure washer and we were back to going great. it is frustrating when the computer system says lockdown and that's it.

sprucebunny

I would prefer that fancy electronic things stay away from gas/diesel engines.
I would be the person trapped in a machine with too much hyd. oil with no one to call and the door won't let me out....
Already had a wired remote snap a 7/16 inch Amsteel line 'cause a trailer hitch fell on it ::) Just imagine the trouble I could get into if I had any wireless controlled stuff  :D

Remote control window fan is the only thing I want.

Love my dumbphone  :) And won't buy a new car. Ever.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Dave Shepard

I heard a story about a new Deere dozer, a pretty big one I guess, about the size of a D7. It broke the coupling between the engine and drivetrain. The computer saw there was a problem and shut the whole works down, including setting the brakes on the final drives. ::) They got it out by lifting the blade up with a D4, and pushing it dead a mile and a half with another bigger dozer in the rear. Then the JD tech told them they could pull the axles to get the tracks to move. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

cutter88

Yes it's a small remote you hook on your suspenders... Does all winch functions, plus idle up and down and start and stop engine works really well especially when cutting and skidding on your own even unhooking in the landing is quicker
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

BargeMonkey

If you avoid the "computer" altogether your equipment choices are getting slimmer by the day. Remember, emissions and pollution control will finally kill the 2 stroke, and alot of other older machines. I havent seen it in logging yet, but to bid certain state and federal excavation jobs your equipment will be tier 3 or higher. I know in the maritime world your getting hard pressed to avoid the computer, makes my life easier, you dont give us the software we park it till they fix it.

Ianab

A lot of the issue is poor fault reporting. If all you have is a red light, fault finding is a struggle. If the computer can display a useful error code, then you have a place to start.

For example you can plug a Bluetooth enabled reader into a modern car, and read the computer's info on your cellphone (computer). It will then tell you what info it has from the various sensors. Overheat? Right, start looking at the radiator / fan or temp sensor.  Misfire? It will tell you what cylinder, so you look at plugs / leads etc. Or was that fuel pressure? or cam position sensor?

What you do need is the service manual of course....

We have been helping one of our IT clients install new timber finger jointing system. All heavily computerised, like 3 fridge cabinets of electrical / electronic gear. It runs it's own internal ethernet network for the various components to communicate on. All this is remotely managed from Germany. This isn't some crazy scheme, it's an upgraded version of the gear they have been using for years.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dave Shepard

In '05 the place where I was working bought a new Bobcat T300. My boss started looking through the owners manual and found page after page of fault codes in the book. I thought he was going to send the machine back. :D It was a good machine while I was there, but a couple of years later it went kind of nuts while being loaded on a trailer and kept poking the outrigger on the back down through the trailer deck. They now have the biggest Case and Takeuchi skid loaders to replace it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

lopet

It's not much different with big farm machinery. You see them stranded in the fields or on the road left and right. As long stuff is new and gets used on a regular base i don't think it's that bad. But once it gets  eight  nine  ten years old, wires are getting brittle or getting exposed and damaged , relays and sensor are worn , that's when the fun begins.  Yes , one little thing can throw you  off and shut you down.   To me it's like you have three choices , you either stay away from it, you deal with the gremlings  or you keep buying new stuff with all those extended warranty and maintenance packages  and your never done paying.
just my 2 cents
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Thank You Sponsors!