iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

another one man operation

Started by lopet, August 23, 2014, 08:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lopet

Hi everyone, old new member here.
My name is Peter and i am from Ontario. I have been reading on this board for over nine years, meanwhile pretty much everyday and if I can't  for some reason I always have to catch up later on.  As I think, I " know " most off you guys, I figured it's not more than fair that you should know a little bit my self too. Why it took so long to jump on the wagon ?
Well, I guess the main reason is , that i am a europeen immigrant and of course english  is not my first language .
I wanted to improve my grammar first, so you guys know at least what i am talking about, even when the spelling isn't correct.
Now 16 years living in Canada and counting it only can get better. Learning a new language was pretty tough at the beginning, specially when you didn't had any english at school.
Other than a couple  of years in the 80's  i never worked full time in the woods as i always farmed also, but we  cut and sold firewood  in the off season since i was a teenager. That makes it pretty well 40 years now.
Yes, i am in my mid 50's now and i don't work as hard anymore as i used to, or don't put that many hours in anymore as i used to.  Wear and tear showing everywhere.  Everyone who's trying to make a living year around from cutting wood has my deepest respect. Logging is almost like farming, it's like go big or go home.  I decided to stay small and don't have big payments . Anyhow , we than downsized our operation when the boys moved out. I guess they figured ,there 's gotta be a easier way to make a living. I always loved the woods and still do, and i  always loved to scratch my land also  and put a crop in the ground, and still do. That makes me think, that i must have sawdust + dirt in my veins and that would explain , why not everything i do, makes sense or has made sense.
I have two tractors with front end loaders and winches for the logging and i have a 80's C5 Tree Farmer , witch i bought in 2009 of a FF member  sitting in the shed. I call it the " money pit "  Looooooooog story.
Than there is Blockbuster firewood processor ( 3rd owner ) a whole bunch of farm equipment and probably as many unfinished projects , as i have fingers on my hands and i still have them all, i mean my fingers.  To make it a little easier for you to categorize me , i have to tell you that i am a cheapo and like to build my own things out of old farm machinery  or whatever i can find to make it go. But also have to admit, that it doesn't always turn out the way i was hoping.  To avoid the Mrs. comment " I told you so " I have also learned over the years , that i just say " well, i guess it just needs some more improvement " and all is good.
Anyhow, that's a little bit myself and I am planning on staying and look forward to have lots of good conversations.
Yes, i'll be working on the picture thing.   
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

cutter88

Hey Peter I'm from Ontario to! What part of Ontario are you from and sorry bout your luck owning the tree farmer :P hahaha jk
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Dave Shepard

I would say your spelling and grammar is no worse than the average high school graduate these days.  :D You are very easy to read. I am always impressed when somebody can learn another language. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

lopet

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.

lopet

Phfuuuuu!
Now I don't remember, how i did this
practicing  practicing   right ?

thecfarm

Tractor!!! What kind and how many hp? Looks like a twitch of ash?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ohio_Bill

Welcome Lopet , Good job on the picture . With that size of a twitch who needs a skidder . I am also a one man operation with a few more miles on , because my age is 64 .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Your posts read fine to me. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

lopet

Cutter 88   I am about half way between Toronto and Lake Huron . How far North about you are ?

Thanks Dave

tecfarm    the tractor is a Deutz 6807 about 65 Hp  close to 10000hours on it .  I bought it with about 7500  and I just put the last 2500 or so on , but that was all working in the woods. She's getting pretty sloppy and has about a half of dozen leaks and deserves to retire, can't let her. Not now anyways.
Was cleaning up a ditch bank this summer, the township wants to clean out the ditch this fall ,  yup lots of ash around here

I will try to put some pictures on tomorrow. It probably will take me hours to sort that mess a have with my albums.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum lopet

Your command of English and grammar is quite good. Very good effort on your part. smiley_thumbsup.
Not necessary, but helps us to understand what you are getting across in your posts. Look forward to more of them from you.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BigJim2185

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 23, 2014, 08:45:30 PM
I would say your spelling and grammar is no worse than the average high school graduate these days.  :D

Come on now - no reason to go insulting us English teachers. Although...can't say I disagree.  :D

Lopet, I made a run at learning French in high school, and pretended to try and learn Latin in college (there was a girl involved - now my wife).  I didn't even come close.  Your communication is crystal clear.  I wish I could learn a second language so effectively.  I hope the tractor holds up for you.  I'm looking forward to your posts. 

P.S. Dave - spelling and grammar are...just sayin :)
-Thomas 8020 w/10' extension
-New Holland TC45D w/ fel and farmi jl501

Southside

Lopet,

Welcome to the forum, as the others have said, your English is fine.  I too am a one man show and farm to make ends meet.  The plan is to one day park the skidder for the last time and work with the cows full time - we will see.  Looks like you have a good setup there. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

cutter88

Muskoka... 2 hours north of Toronto
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

lopet

Glad, others make mistakes too !!!!!!!!!        Not that i already have noticed it. 
Watch out guys    English teacher is watching !!!!!!!!

Thanks for the welcome

lopet

I think i have this picture thing figured out, let's see

There should be some pictures off my backyard and the blockbuster.  O

ne from my other tractor, i am using in the woods, a Deutz Allis 6275 with some modifications and the Farmi winch. The winch still has all the paint on, only used for a couple of rescue missions. btw , my first brand spanking new piece of equipment in all  my career. Other than chainsaws and a couple of pressure washers i have never bought anything new.  Needed some backup, as " money pit "hasn't worked out yet. The tractor is also used for other chores, so the winch is only on it, when needed.

And than , there should be a picture off my ''poor man's ctl processor " and " money pit "

lopet

chester_tree _farmah

Nice. Fill us in on the c5. Maybe it isn't as bad as u think? What is running under the hood?
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Autocar

Welcome to the forum , great looking wood pile also that old tree farmer will have alot of life left in it . There built good and after you get her repaired your never regret getting it fixed up.
Bill

Dave Shepard

Quote from: BigJim2185 on August 23, 2014, 10:42:23 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 23, 2014, 08:45:30 PM
I would say your spelling and grammar is no worse than the average high school graduate these days.  :D

Come on now - no reason to go insulting us English teachers. Although...can't say I disagree.  :D

Lopet, I made a run at learning French in high school, and pretended to try and learn Latin in college (there was a girl involved - now my wife).  I didn't even come close.  Your communication is crystal clear.  I wish I could learn a second language so effectively.  I hope the tractor holds up for you.  I'm looking forward to your posts. 

I don't blame the teachers, I blame society. I call it No Child Properly Educated. Make everyone learn at the speed of the slowest student. ::)

Thanks for the correction, I am always trying to improve. I write mostly by "feel", and by that I mean that I write what feels right. I don't actually have a very good understanding of what is correct. The fact that I actually have a high school diploma has been something of a mystery to me. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

chester_tree _farmah

Don't feel bad. I love it when my phone or MS word spell check says "I have no clue what you were trying to say - I got nothing!"
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

lopet

Thanks for the welcome again and I am not giving up on that TF yet.

I know what you'r saying Dave . We saw our boys growing up here and go to school and noticed , that they where taught totally different.
Even , if you consider different time, different continent, so much has changed.  Well,  they made it trough school, speak English with no accent and their spelling is actually pretty good.  Now they are on their own and i am off the hook. That's all what matters for me.
I too wouldn't blame the teachers for this misery.  We have two high school teachers living on our road , and when you hear their stories, you don't have to wonder, why things are falling apart.

lopet

As we have a few C5 owners here, I thought I may as well share my skidder story just for entertainment or maybe it makes you guys not feel so bad, when you throw money at your equipment.
First of all, I can't say anything bad about the seller. I got what I paid for and everything is fixable.
Yes, I bought it on the phone, but I knew, that 3 planetary drives were leaking, I knew ,the 5 cyl Deutz  spits oil out of the push rod tubes, I knew the blade cylinders need packing, I knew there is a rattle in 5th gear, I new, It was starving for fuel with a load on it and apparently the Can Car 20 was acting weird.  I didn't know the person  on the other end , but he sounded very trusting. We agreed on a price. Done deal ,  no return, no refund, no warranty.
First year my buddy and I resealed the 3 hubs. So far so good and we carried on to the fuel system. Changed filters and some of the poor looking lines. Didn't do it. Next, put a new lift pump on, no change.  Pulled the tank, lots of crap in it and a broken strainer, thought we got it .  Wrong again.  Started leaning towards the injecters but tried something else, before pulling them. I strapped a cherry can of fuel on top of the hood and had the system gravity fed and it seemed to run that way. For some reason it didn't get fuel sucked out of the tank . Tank is clean , filters and lines are clean, new lift pump, the only thing I haven't replaced, is the two short lines behind the articulating point.
Well, it was kinda running and I was able to brake a few new trails. After that, I started tinkering with the winch. and that thing was giving me all the grief it was able to absorb.  One time it will free spool fine, next time it won't. I tried a few more things, got frustrated and parked it. Maybe it's just me, but what i have read here earlier, some guys love them and some don't have much luck with them either.
I am not giving up, it just got parked because a lack of funds right now.  Now get this, a few days ago i have noticed  number 4 planetary started leaking just from sitting and being looked at.  Maybe I should kick it once every while, when I walk by , or what do you think ? 
I forgot to mention in the first post, I have pretty thick skin and for all the TJ guys. Don't hesitate to pick on me. 

btw what do I have to do to get the smilies working. I can't seam to get them going.

chester_tree _farmah

Why pick on u? That thing just needs some time and loving unless u want to pay somebody a lot if money to fix it. I went through the same stuff with mine. Now I have maybe 4000 in it and it is reliable. All small inexpensive stuff if u can do it yourself. Sounds like farming is your priority right now.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

beenthere

Quotebtw what do I have to do to get the smilies working. I can't seam to get them going.

They are in a line right above the posting window. Just click on one while in your post or modifying a post to get them. And there are [more] if desired.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lopet

It may makes me look stupid, but when I click on the turning smiling guy , i get this :) :) :)
When I click on the kicking guy in the middle, i get this  8) 8) 8)
And when I click on the Happy New Year guy , I get this by clicking three times :new_year: :new_year:
I thought, they probably pop up , when I click on preview, but they don't.
Let's try again
Sorry for being trouble, still learning

lopet

I guess it does make me look stupid  :D

beenthere

There is no stupid smiley guy...  ;D ;D

And didn't take long for you to catch on either.  ;)

The code is seen, and that code can be manually entered from the keyboard too.
south central Wisconsin

lopet

:D :D :D         Thanks for the help bt

Chester    I am not so sure, if some tlc and resting will do the trick, but will give it a try. By kicking it, I was just kidding, I would never beat a dead horse.  ;D
4000 you have in yours   wow,  I passed that a long time ago.  Is it a C5 too and what are you using it for ?
Yes mine has low priority , we have wheat coming off this week and next week I wanna start deliver firewood. Can't wait for $$ rolling in,  I am as dry as a bone.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chester_tree _farmah

I have the predecessor. C4B. I cut wood with it. :-) I have 90 acres up here and I manage it myself.  Slowly but surely. Your c5 is a heavier machine.  Heavier running gear. I have heard that Duetz is a good motor but if it is porked u have a lot of options that will probably cost less. I think that winch is a relabeled gearmatic. Simple to fix. U fix that up u will be twitching loads 3 times what that tractor is doing and pull it through more tight situations.  :-)
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

mad murdock

Welcome lopet, officially! 9 years on here before joining, wow :o that has got to be some kind of record!  Where is the "old country" for you?  Being from eastern canada, English could almost be a third language for you, eh? Je parle frances? That TF is a diamond in the rough, though from the looks of your tractors, you don't let them sit around as yard ornaments either, that is a pretty good haul of ash in that one pic you posted of the deutz 8) how much ground do have planted? That is some amount of firewood there, looks like you process quite a bit of that too!  Thanks for sharing your story and pics with us!! Your English sounds pretty fair to me as well!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

lopet

Chester   I meant, do you cut wood for a living or just firewood for yourself.   90 acres is pretty good size lot and will keep you busy.
Those Deutz  engines  I know fairly well and all my tractors have those german air coolers in it and we had good luck with them.  It's kinda like what you grew up with doesn't let you go. Pretty easy to fix and i am not to worried about. With the winch i am not so sure about, as  I don't feel like wrestling with that big main line and it's too big anyways, for what I am doing. I am thinking more like of a grapple boom or a combo with a smaller winch, once I get it going.  All the big trees around here are gone  and I am not really looking for more production just for a way to make things easier.

Yes , I have received your message  ;D

Thanks Murdock        Sorry for taking so long      I have german background and back in high school we could chose between french or english. Never thought  I will need it some day ;D   The french I have never used and totally lost it.
About our operation. We used to be in pigs, couldn't make money, just spinning the wheel, old barns, nobody interested.  Tried To work more land  and sold more and more firewood ( no blockbuster back than ). Now we have downsized to about 200 acres of crops and I process between 120 and 150 cord. What I can't sell, we carry over and mix it with the new crop while loading it. I am not a real logger just a clean up guy and used to get the tops out of the bush when the loggers have left. I also used to pay for those tops. Now today you have to pay me to do that.  It's all thinning jobs, taking out old fences, square off field, stuff like that and it's all just for the taking and I just have my labour  and fuel in it plus I have about 60 acres of bush myself.  Work is all within a few blocks and everything is done by tractors. I don't have a truck license and i am happy they still let me drive a car or my one ton. ( poor vision )  All in all it's a small operation and small numbers but big enough to keep me busy and some days I don't even wanna be busy anymore ;D               

Thank You Sponsors!