iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tips on quartering a big tree

Started by slowzuki, July 21, 2004, 08:45:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowzuki

My mill isn't yet finished being built but I have access to a 54" diameter sugar maple trunk.  It was cut a week ago and they stopped where they ran out of bar, leaving about 16 ft of it.

The bottom 4 feet likely has taps burried inside.

I'm thinking of quartering the log with a chainsaw.  I think this would be an all day project even with the tractor to help moving pieces.

A neighbour may help out, he has a big husqy with a 40" bar for making discs for woodworking, he wants 3 thin slices.  I'm hoping he would rip for us!

No we don't have any powder available! :o Although that would be fun.

Do you need to rip the whole thing or can you rip from the top then use wedges to split the other half?

Thanks

EDIT So far the mill is looking like it will take a trimmed 42" log and about a 30" cant.
EDIT2 No I don't know any swing millers.

Furby

You can rip from one side and split the rest, but if you want a good cut to work with, rip it from both sides.
Spend the $$$ on a good ripping chain, it takes a lot out of the saw and yourself with a crosscut chain. It really don't take that long with a bigger saw and a good chain. The taps might slow ya down though.  ::)

Grawulf

Slowzuki,

In the sugaring industry the "taps" are called spiles and they generally remove them every year and plug the hole with a dowel so you may be OK. If whoever cut the tree cut it close to the ground, and you can see where the larger roots were, the spiles should be 2 - 3' directly above those. Doubt if you would be able to see any metal staining because most of the older spiles were galvanized.

rebocardo

How safe is it freehanding with a ripping chain?

I have been tempted to do it once or twice, but, I am seriously afraid of the kickback potential.

MemphisLogger

rebocardo,

I do it all the time. When we get oaks that are shorter than 9', I'll just rip each end of the log vertically. The 48" bar will leave just a little holdingit together in the middle to be nibbled out from above. It's not as pretty as ripping it with a Beam Machine but goes A LOT quicker.  
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

slowzuki

Could I sharpen a regular chain to 0 degrees? I don't have a ripping chain available.
Ken

QuoteYou can rip from one side and split the rest, but if you want a good cut to work with, rip it from both sides.
Spend the $$$ on a good ripping chain, it takes a lot out of the saw and yourself with a crosscut chain. It really don't take that long with a bigger saw and a good chain. The taps might slow ya down though.  ::)

leweee

Yes you can. Keep the hook angle about  55 degrees. I use square edge  chisel  chain sharpened this way. Works  for me. ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Furby

That's what I was going to do, but I really don't have the time to do one for a 72" bar, so I gotta order one.

smwwoody

The best way I have found to quarter a large log is to cut it into 4 equal pieces   ;D
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Jeff

QuoteSlowzuki,

In the sugaring industry the "taps" are called spiles and they generally remove them every year...

I wish somebody would tell somebody that up here. I have hit a lot of them over the years.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

Sometimes they forget a few, huh ???  :D

Oregon_Sawyer

Check out the post that I just brought back up.

A Real Man's Chainsaw!

Loren
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

slowzuki

Well I finally got around to fighting the big old tree...

AND THE TREE WON  :D

It had been chunked at the 4 ft mark so I figured I'd try ripping that first.  Ripped one side ok, ripped other side, about 6" left in the middle.

Drove 7 wedges in one side, lots of cracking, no action, and all my wedges are now stuck in tree!  Rip accross the butt, still nothing.  So I rip down to a quarter and remove the 50 lb chunk and my wedges.  Bury the bar to cut the 6" that had been left in the middle.  Spend 30min trying to break the chunk off with the tractor with no luck!

Tank and a half of gas, 2 hours neat-o around and I was beat!  

VA-Sawyer

OK, slowzuki,
Now that we have gotten the halftime report.... when you gonna finish the game ?  :D    It's ok to let a log stump you for a while....but in the end, you have to come out on top.   ???
Sometimes you need a new plan or even a new tool, but don't walk off the field with time on the clock.  

Now get back out there and win one for the Ripper !   ;D

Kevin

You can cut a block out and use a jack.

Danny_S

Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

rebocardo

Slowzuki,

Sounds like the first 4x cuts I did  :D

I did follow that link and use ripping chain for this tree I learned on.

Cross cut safety chain.

This is the technique I now use, I cut the tree in the middle by standing on one end and ripping it top to bottom in as far as my saw can go (28 inches). I hold the saw up at an angle so the top of the bar nose is always clear. This will throw a lot of curls, make sure your saw does not jam up.

Once the saw is close to the ground I kind of plunge cut it while holding the saw tight so I have a clear cut top to bottom. I would not recommend this as it is sort of dangerous and I have had a few minor kickbacks.

Now ripping chain

Then get at the top of the log standing to the left of the kerf, and use this kerf as a guide to rip from one end to the other in a straight line. My biggest problem. Which is why I use that first cut.

What I have found is going at an angle not all the way down and regoing over it again so the saw is almost vertical works best for me when using my 28" saw on a 48 inch log.

Once done you should be able to see from one end of the log to the other through the kerf.

Now roll the log so the vertical cut is now horz. and then quarter it above using the same tech. If done correctly you should be able to move it off the log (making sure the log is chocked so it does not roll) with a long pry bar.

If not, roll the log slightly so gravity will do most of the work, especially if you have to wedge it free.

Instead of getting a perfect quarter, cut two inches into the intersection and make sure your saw is cutting well past the first kerf.

I have done it enough times now (maybe 12) so I can usually do a "fair" cut down the middle without a lot of wood tearing and being able to easily move it with a pry bar without anything hanging up.

Doing a perfect 90 degree, without going sideways and not meeting in the middle of the log, is learning experience. I had almost the whole tree done before I learned how to cut/rip straight so the two kerfs meet.

ScottAR

Take that saw and make you some wedges out of scrap or firewood or somthing...  Take a big sledge and pound em in...

I like the jack Idea as well....

Good luck!!
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Arthur

You need to get yourself a swinger. 8)

even a baby one would have finished milling the log in the time that you spent playing with the chainsaw.

worth the money just for these occassions. ;D

slowzuki

As a follow:

Well I was really beat badly, an escavator with thumb burried the tree while I was at work one day... The owners didn't realize I was regrouping my attack!  I was worried about dragging a 4 ton log across their lawn but they didn't tell me it was gonna be dug up anyways!

Gilman

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

submarinesailor

Been there, done that.  Only ours was a big bona fire instead of being buried.

Bruce

woodbowl

There is a pic somewhere on the forum of a jack in a log. I can't seem to find it now. Maybe someone can find it and post it.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Gilman

Here's a photo.  The jack is orange and at the bottom of the log.  This log had a huge limb that got burried into the ground.  Duncan and I had a heck of a time getting this white oak halved.

Step one, take a photo

Step two

Step two point five

Step seven  Notice one of the wooden wedges on top of the log.  We had to use a lot of these.

Step eight, sit back and take photos of people, other than youself, working.

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

D Martin

mmmm  blow it up     pyrodex ,fuse ,boom!

Thank You Sponsors!