iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I could use a little encouragement

Started by Howdy, August 23, 2014, 04:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howdy

I am having a difficult time right now.

I lost my sister a month ago after her recurring illness jumped into high gear and she lost her final battle. The saving grace is she knew the end was near and was as ready as anyone could be at the end.

Last week a good buddy's wife send out an email revealing that he was suffering from ALS and the symptoms are moving just too quickly. I haven't seen him too much this year and it was quite a surprise to get the news. He was diagnosed in April and already his on assisted breathing and has a feeding tube. I am trying to get in to visit him but he is not up to it right now.

Then today my younger brother passed away from his heart problems. He was doing fine and this morning failed to wake up. I was his decision maker so his son's called me to help.

I am glad I have the strength of my family and friends to draw from in times of need, but I am feeling it might be a good time to check in with my Pastor for a chat.

So what encouragement do I need?  Several of you have received pottery at the Pigroast over the last couple of years, and it would be very special to me to hear how you are using the piece you won.  I am not looking for sympathy just hearing how something I made has benefited you would be nice.  Thank you, Kim

thecfarm

I have heard about your pottery. Never been to a pig roast,so I don't have any.
Sorry to hear of all the troubles that have been fallen on you. It's hard to loose family members. I lost a brother about 8 years ago. I still remember a birthday card he got me when I was about 12. He crossed out the "r" in brother on the front of the card.  :D There was a lot of others good times too,but that one really stuck to me. And times of being kicked,punched,pinched,pushed too.  ;D  Not much that I can say to heal the hurt and the pain that is upon your heart and soul. Sounds like you enjoy making pottery. Try making a piece for the ones you lost. You will be in my thoughts.    Ray
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LeeB

Kim,
I haven't recieved any pottery, but I know the feeling of losing loved ones and siblings. Know that my thoughts are with you. I hope in some way this can give you a small boost to keep you going. You are not alone out there. Take in a deep breath and realize that life is good even though sometimes the road is full of potholes and you might get a flat tire sometime, the journey is still wonderful.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

stanwelch

Kim,
I wasn't lucky enough to win any of your pottery at my first pig roast this year. But, want you to know as LeeB said you are not alone. Many of us have experienced what you are feeling and know we can't take away your grief. These next few days as arrangements and decisions have to be made are the hardest. It does get better. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

SwampDonkey

I know what your expriencing right now emotionally as I lost my uncle in 2012, then father in 2013, a little over a year apart.

I have received a piece of your pottery, Howdy, this past roast. I thought it was very generous of you to donate some of your work to the annual roast(s). I brought home a mug this year. I have it at the farm (old house) right now. I have moved temporarily to our newer house dad built in 2001, and have a mountain of dishes here. I've been selling some sets, but one set of dishes of my uncle's (he was a dish hoarder for 40 years) I am keeping for now, and your mug, is among the keep sakes.  ;D

It takes time I know to heal emotonally when you lose a friend and a family member.

From your avatar, it looks like you have lots of joy in your arms. Take care.

Appreciate the mug.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

timberlinetree

I'm sorry to hear about you losses. I have found that checking in with the pastor is always a good idea and it sounds like you could use a visit during these difficult times. You and your family our in our thoughts and prays.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Chuck White

I too feel that a visit with your pastor might be in order and would help to alleviate some of the stress and strain.

My thoughts will be with you Kim.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Cedarman

We have 2 bowls.  One bowl sets on a small wooden table in the kitchen and it became a nut bowl.  A larger bowl sets on a stand in the kitchen and it became a medicine bowl.  Seemed like a good place to put them as it is large and keeps the bottles in one place.  We really appreciate them.
By sharing, you have made the bowls even more special.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

sandhills

I haven't ever made it to the pig roast but do recall seeing some pictures of your work here, beautiful to say the least.  I'm very sorry to hear of your family and friends you will be in our thoughts and prayers as well, hang in there Howdy.

yukon cornelius

Psalms 105:4- 5 Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always.  5 Remember the wonders he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he pronounced

my thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Magicman

My heart and prayers are with you during this difficult time, and I wish you the sincerest condolences regarding the loss of your Sister and now your Brother.

My MUG pictured above probably would do well as a soup mug, but instead during the Winter, it is my Hot Chocolate mug.  During the hot Summer months, it warms my heart just being what it is.  A beautiful piece of art.  I think of you often my Friend.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerBrown

Howdy, your pottery is just beautiful!  I was at the pig roast, didn't win any, but would be willing to trade anyone for any piece for a Stihl cap.  (I don't wear caps ...   :D )

I strongly urge you to have a visit with your pastor, but his (and our) boss is the guy you really want to connect with.  The great thing about His company is that we are never alone.  He's there to give strength and encouragement whenever we ask for it, don't even have to have an appointment!  For those who truly believe, those family members and friends aren't "lost", they've only moved to an upscale neighborhood, and we will see them again someday.  We'll miss them until we see them again, just like anyone who's moved a long way away, but it will make the reunion all that much sweeter. 

In the meantime, to roughly quote a saying on my chiropractor's desk, "Good morning.  This is the Lord.  I'll be taking care of all your problems today, and I don't need your help.  So just relax and have a nice day!"

Praying that you find His peace ...
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Jeff

Kim, I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. It hurts. At this years pigroast I was struggling to maintain as I was getting calls through out those days updating me on my Sister Connie. She passed away the day after everyone left here this year. I was on the phone on the day before the festivities started when a UPS truck rolled up. We went out and there was this big box from you. We brought it in and it immediately helped me. We called our good friends and neighbors, the Daggers over to help us open it because they are a huge fan of your work. I think Jill may have won a mug this year in the drawing. Anyhow, we all kept ooing and ahhing as we unpacked the treasures.

Yesterday I just found out the my brother-in-law, who is as much of a brother as a guy could have, and who many of you know from the pigroast, was diagnosed with some sort of carcinoma of the stomach and esophagus. We don't know what the outcome of this will be, but I can't stand the thought of not having him, as he has been in my life since I was a teenager. He is like my brother.   Anyhow Kim, your Pottery and you, through it, have touched a lot of people and we treasure you for that.  I guess you and I have to find a way to understand these things and to know that its part of life. I'm trying, but not sure I can.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mesquite buckeye

This too, shall pass. :(

Sometimes it helps to know that off in the uncertain future more happy times await. :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

OneWithWood

Kim, I have seen your wonderful pottery at a number of pig roasts but was never lucky enough to win any of it.  However, the knowing that you took to time to make it and send it to people you have not met in person says a lot about you.  You are one of the good guys.
Life is like a book, full of stories, characters and chapters.  When someone we are close to passes away a new chapter in our personal book begins.  The only thing left to us is the cherished memories and the knowledge that we cannot interact with that person again.  But the memories stay with us as we continue to craft the story of our lives as we build on the richness of the knowledge cleaned from knowing others. 
Take time to grieve and come to peace with your new world, then continue on with your life and add knowledge and wisdom to others as best you can.
Peace.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Busy Beaver Lumber

Kim

Did not win any of your pottery, but did admire it at the pig roast. Wife did win the Stihl chainsaw and I won a nice table pigman made, and we are very grateful for both items.

I think at one time or another we have all felt your pain. Back in 1994, i lost my god father, father, and 25 year old cousin all inside of a 45 day span. I prayed for pain to stop and eventually it did. Time cures all my friend and the best way to make time pass is to do the things you love in life to keep your mind off the current sorrow. Go now and make more of that fantastic pottery that God gave you the gift to create.

Jeff , I am so sorry to hear of your loss and suffering that is going on in your family. Will pray for you and your family as well.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

starbits

When I did pottery a number of years ago one of the guys at work was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer.  I knew his wife collected bells so I threw two 10" high porcelain bells and while they were damp got everybody at work to sign their names or write comments on the bells in blue slip.   It got everybody involved in the project and they were presented to her at his retirement ceremony.  Signing something may not seem like much, but it showed everyone cared and that is locked forever in glaze. 

I am sure with your talent and creativity as a potter you could come up with a similar type project that would get friends and family involved.  In times of loss people want to connect, to be involved.  A memorial project may help those you include as well as yourself.

Prayers to you and your family.  Take care of yourself.

Starbits

WmFritz

Onewithwood could not have expressed my sentiments any better.

Kim, my thoughts and prayers are with you my friend. I was very fortunate to win a cup you made for us. Vicki said it would make a great soup bowl (its similar to Lynn's), but she claimed it for her hot cocoa in the winter. It's already at the cabin in the center of our dining table being used as a candy dish. We love it... Thank You.

Pig Roast eve, I was hanging out at Jeff and Tammy's, unknowing what Jeff was dealing with. As I was hanging with Jeff on pig watch, I got a phone call from my son that a close friend had passed.

It was my ex-wife whom I had stayed on good terms with and even held onto our friendship for the 25 years since our split. I had been spending a good deal of time with her this year, helping her and our two children deal with a terminal decease. The weeks leading up to the pig roast, I stayed nights at the hospital with her so she wasn't alone. I struggled all night Friday whether to go home. Saturday morning my daughter insisted I stay for the Pig Roast and we'd get together on Sunday.

Because of my daughter, I stayed that day and took home a wonderful keepsake.

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Southside

Kim,

I have not been to a pig roast yet, actually only became active on here over the past year, but I can say there is an  amazing collection of members here who are genuine in their beliefs and actions, I trust you are truly in their thoughts and prayers as you are in mine, I am sorry to hear of everything that is happening.  It does seem that when these dark times arrive we feel alone and overwhelmed having been there myself.  Just remember you have touched many peoples lives here and beyond in very positive ways and the pain will subside with time, but you can cherish the happy memories everyday.
Jim
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

32vld

When I was a teen and family members passed on I was sad though to young to realize that with there passing a piece of me passed with them.

Now that my parents and some aunts and uncle are gone. I am saddened more now. Though you as with me have good memories of your loved ones. They have left and those connections memories will never leave you. Recall and enjoy those good times that past.

Used the time you have now to make more good memories with the family you have now. You will live well and leave good memories with them. 

drobertson

Kim, your loss is a terrible thing to have to deal with.  And I am so sorry for your trials.  I too have lost siblings, and my mother.  It is hard, and leaves a bad gut ache.   But the pain does go away.  Your pottery would be very welcome here!  It looks very warming, with a craftsman's touch!  Be strong and keep moving on,  our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

moosehunter

Kim,
I know you told me to use the platter that I won at last years PR but we are afraid of breaking it so we just look at it! It does get used for very delicate things on special occasions, cookies or veggies.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

yukon cornelius

When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears, and rescues them from all their troubles." -Psalm 34:17

I thought I would share this as I could also use it. I know everyone could use a bit  of encouragement once in a while. some more than others  ;) I pray for you and all of those going through tough times. I take comfort in knowing our life here on earth is just a blip of hard times with an eternal life in heaven as a reward for your faith and trust in the Lord.

we recently watched the movie "God is not dead". I recommend it to all to watch. very inspiring!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

SawyerBrown

Quote from: yukon cornelius on August 26, 2014, 10:49:19 AM
we recently watched the movie "God is not dead". I recommend it to all to watch. very inspiring!
Haven't seen it yet, yc.  Thanks for the recommendation!

And thanks for the words of encouragement to all.  Great passage.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Howdy

I am warmed by the compassion and kindness expressed here.  Just reading the words of wisdom you have shared gives me comfort. 

What we all can take from this is that most of us have suffered and learned to deal with the loss of a loved one.  If you read the many messages you also can benefit as I have.  Pain is not a unique feeling and we will experience it in our lives sometime.  Be blessed by knowing others are traveling the same roads.

Roads that are smooth are easy to go down and we don't think about any problems,

Roads that are twisty, gravel, or dark, we travel with caution but do okay with care,

Roads that have the occasional pothole or rough patch give us concern so we travel at a slower pace and with greater awareness,

Roads even sometimes have a tempting turn and we end up over a bank or in the swamp requiring help to get back on the right path,

Roads that are the most difficult to travel are the ones that we need the most help and use every aid possible. 

Reaching out to others is not a sign of weakness, rather it is just a cry for help in difficult times.  If you were Buggs Bunny hanging onto the only bush after falling off a cliff like the cartoons of our youth even Elmer Fudd would be a welcome sight. 

I thank you for helping me get through my time of need.  This forum is filled with good people.

SawyerBrown

Quote from: Howdy on August 28, 2014, 06:37:20 PM
This forum is filled with good people.
Kim, you ARE one of the good people.  Anyone who is willing to share the fruits of his labor and talent with others demonstrates the nature of his heart.  You obviously have a very, very big heart. 

Hoping and praying you're able to deal with this difficult patch of road.

Pete

Howdy

Well the last few days have been a great here in the Wonderful State of Oregon.

First thing Saturday morning my most forgiving Wife and I went out on a rescue mission to the Oregon Coast about 65 miles away to retrieve the youngest grandson from the family campout. He was ready to come home after the first afternoon and we got the call "Are you doing anything Saturday?" So a fast trip over and we found them picking huckleberries in the rain. Spirits were high but he was ready to leave. On the way home we stopped at the beef jerky factory and blew the entire summer's budget on the best eats around.

Then after Saturday's family lunch get together I took a great nap awaking just in time for my buddy arriving to "take me out to the ballgame" where we attended a minor league baseball game. The field was in great shape, seats were good along the first base line, the sun was at our back, and the beer and hotdogs were only $6.00. Weather was great with the temp at 72* and a blue sky above. Our team won after a lively game and we had a great time.

Now soon I was sitting in the quite listening to crickets chirp and wondering where my wife was. Life is good! This was a great release of tension after with my brother's ex-wife's demands. All in all - I am doing good with "a little help from my friends".

Today I met with my Pastor and enjoyed a delightful chat.  Afterward I treated myself to lunch at my favorite restaurant and to top it off---THE GRANDKIDS STARTED BACK TO SCHOOL TODAY!!!!

WmFritz

$ 6.00 beers? That's all?
I'm moving to Oregon.  ;D

Our local farm team missed the playoffs. Glad you enjoyed a game.  ;)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

SwampDonkey

Kim, your pottery mug has been my hot chocolate mug of late. Cheers to you and your family in Oregon. Your gift is a reminder of the many generous folks on the forum.  The hot chocolate isn't bad either with 'mellows and cream. 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!