iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ghost-Mizer

Started by Dave Shepard, August 22, 2014, 05:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I was playing around with my new cell phone tripod (actually, a piece of cardboard, two rubber bands a piece of Gorilla tape), ;D and decided to take a couple of vids of the mill running. I was reviewing the vids, and found it kind of funny to watch the mill cutting with nobody running it. :D I was salvaging some side lumber off of one of the rotten cull logs from last winter.

http://youtu.be/wacDqjavGZA
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rasman57

Thats good old fashioned engineering...  use whats available.   Neat!

WmFritz

That video makes my homemade manual mill look like a sorry excuse for a sawmill.  ;D

If I had one of those, I could sit in my lawn chair holding a cold beverage. :)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WmFritz on August 22, 2014, 07:33:22 PM
I could sit in my lawn chair holding a cold beverage. :)

Just sit in your chair, have a cold beverage and watch the video.....over and over.  ;D

WmFritz

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 22, 2014, 07:37:12 PM

Just sit in your chair, have a cold beverage and watch the video.....over and over.  ;D

Poston, if I had my druthers, I'd rather sit in my chair, with my cold one, watching YOU saw.  :) :)

I guess I'll have to settle for watching Dave's video over and over.  ;)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Dave Shepard

The other vid finally uploaded. Only took 78 minutes. ::)

16.5" wide 8'-6" long EWP. I figure it is right at 60 feet per minute. I've been wondering since reading the "sawing speed" thread.

http://youtu.be/TlMTxUwF-YY
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Raym

Now if you only had a ghost-off bearer......
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

mesquite buckeye

If you were cutting mesquite the video would be 15 minutes long. :'(

;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

JohnM

I love smiley_love my Lucas but that is pretty DanG cool. ;D 

Curious, how many passes (boards) can you make before you need to off load the boards?  Or can it do the whole cant?  Meaning, does weight of the boards above begin to pinch/bind the blade?
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

giant splinter

Dave did you add the wireless remote or was it set up with it when you bought it?. I like the "no dust" idea and have been thinking about setting my mill up with the remote wireless.
roll with it

John S

Dave,
Can you adjust the forward speed with the remote?  I mistakenly thought that the wireless remote was an add-on to the Stationary Command Control and was surprised to see in your videos that, otherwise, your mill is a walk behind.  How long have you been using that mill and how reliable has the remote been?  Thanks again.
John
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Magicman

I love my sawmill, but I still want one of those.  Especially when the wind is blowing the wrong way!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

If you had that, you could take your seat off the mill, set up a folding table and chair and drink ice tea while you saw.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

pineywoods

Nice  8) I cobbled up a home-brew version on my mill. Sadly it's just about useless without accuset, which I don't have....yet...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dave Shepard

I'll try to get to all the questions, hopefully I won't leave anyone out.

JohnM- You can saw all the way to the deck, or until you run out of clearance to the dragback.

giant splinter- This is the factory wireless option. Mine is one of the very fist mills to be shipped with wireless. Jeremy from WM NY personally installed the wireless option, and he thinks mine is the third mill to be shipped with wireless.

John S- This mill was delivered to my former employer 4/8/08. I am the only person to ever run it with the exception of Jeremy from WM NY. After about 30 hours, the remote developed some jerkiness, and Jeremy came out and installed a new reciever/remote and Accuset2 panel. I think the final determination was a programming issue between the mill and the remote. I have had to replace two speed pots on the remote. They are about $7 with shipping, and it takes a half an hour to replace. I keep spares. Yes, the mill is a standard walk behind, in all other aspects. A Command Control is limited to a 6' extension, and I have a single 24' now, with plans of adding another in the future.

Magicman- Being able to get out of the dust has been one of my favorite features of the wireless. I also like being able to walk around the log and watch the sawing from different angles.

LeeB- You don't want to get too comfortable, as you still have to get up and set the Accuset. ;)

pineywoods- Yes, without Accuset, the remote would be greatly hindered. I think setworks is important on any of the Super and higher series, as the up/down is so fast, it is hard to land on the mark, not like the manual LT40's I used to run.

I am glad that this thread has generated so much interest, I don't think people are that aware of the Wireless, and what it can do. I personally wouldn't want to ever saw without mine. In fact, when the first speed pot failed, I stopped sawing until it was fixed. I think I have a pic of the remote loaded, and I'll detail that in the next posts.

Dave Shepard

I cannot run any of the hydraulics from the remote, nor can I run anything on the Accuset2 panel. If I set an Autodown option, then it will drop that amount every time I hit the down joystick on the remote.

First switch on the left is to power up the remote. Second is Autoclutch.  Third is board dragback. Fourth is Debarker in/out. Fifth is Debarker on/off.

Joystick on the left is forward/reverse and blade guide arm. Joystick on the right is up/down. You can hardly see it, but on the right is the speed pot to control head travel.

Darrel

Thanks for starting this thread Dave, now a wireless remote is on my wish list if and when I can afford a new mill.  Never saw a need for it before.  My used mill came with a seat, I still don't see a need for it, but then again, I haven't tried it yet.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Dave Shepard

I've only been able to find one YouTube of the WM wireless, and that is the short clip from WM. I think there would be more interest in the Wireless if people knew more about it.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

That trick is done with smoke and mirrors. I've seen David Copperfield saw Pecan like that.  ;D

Magicman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 23, 2014, 02:31:00 PMdone with smoke and mirrors.
Without a doubt, Dave has that sawmill smokin' but my worst nightmare would be to look into a mirror and see you !!!   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

@JohnM,I've seen the Thomas guys saw a cant like that at a show. But that is a manual mill so you have to crank it up at the end and drop down at the beginning and crank up at the end and so on. Too much cranking for me. Just as easy to take of a board at a time. They was doing it just to show what the mill could do.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John S

Thanks, Dave, before this thread I considered the wireless remote to be unneccesary, now it has me thinking about upgrading to a super!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Thank You Sponsors!