iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Mill Coming!

Started by jrose1970, August 22, 2014, 01:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrose1970

I get my new Mill delivered Sunday at 3PM. I can't wait!
It only took me 19 years to get one. It is a Hud-son HFE 36.
Just wanted to share the excitement.
HFE-36; International 424-37HP; McCullogh Pro 10-10

Dave Shepard

Congrats! I only had to wait 14 years to get my mill. I can't image waiting 19.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

goose63

Congrats Christmass in Agust 8) 8) 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

Congrats on the sawmill.   :)

Does that mean that I had to wait 59 years  ???   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jrose1970

Thank you all very much!
  So, I'm not the only one that waited. Good things come to those who wait. :)

goose63

Not the only one waited till I was 63
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Chuck White

Congratulations on the new mill!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

kczbest

Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

POSTON WIDEHEAD

It appears no matter how long one waits on their first mil.....its well worth it.  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

You will like it.  Got a Logrite? cantdog or a peavey??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tmarch

65 here, but remember I'm retired, YEA RIGHT!!!!!!!!!! :D
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

jrose1970

Sounds like some of you fellow fellers waited longer than me. LOL
Thank you all for the warm welcome!
I have a cant hook I bought from my father.
I don't have the other equipment though.
What do they do?
I know I need a chain. Would 30 feet be a good length?
It is about $3.50 a foot.

Darrel

Congratulations on the new mill!  19 years is a is a long time for sure.  In 1988 I stopped by Wood-Mizer in Portland Oregon and the lusting for a mill began.  Now just 26 years later, I got my mill.  So glad that you didn't have to wait any longer. 

8) HAPPY SAWING  8)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Knute

Congratulations! You will have fun. I saw a woodmizer in a magazine back in 1982 and wanted one. Waited until 2010.

jrose1970

Boy! You all did wait a long time!
  I made a road to the sawmill site and pulled a log down there with the tractor. It was a 20" oak log about 9 feet long.  The mill is still in shipping, but that's okay. It gave me more time to prepare.
Thanks!

Magicman

Quote from: jrose1970 on August 23, 2014, 01:21:55 PMI know I need a chain. Would 30 feet be a good length? 
I regularly carry two 20's, a 10'.  Both of the 20's have a cable hook on one end which allows them to tighten when a load is applied.  There is also a large and small set of tongs on the truck.

There are also four Logrite cant hooks and a peavey in the truck.  Plus, plus, plus.

Not saying that you necessarily need all of that.  Wait until you are reasonably sure what you need before buying.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

downsouth

Congrats on the mill!
A choker chain or heavy strap comes in handy.
      Have fun! Be safe!

jrose1970

Thanks very much! That is all very good advice.
The main thing is to not get hurt.

YellowHammer

The best thing to stock up on before a mill gets delivered is the hardest to acquire---it's a good night's sleep! ;D

Congratulations and enjoy the new mill. We are looking forward to hearing all about it.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

mad murdock

Congratulations on the new Sawmill! 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

schakey

Real happy for ya 8)
I will soon be 63 waiting for 12 years but my day is coming  smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup in the mean while I am enjoying everyone's stories of new and used mills.( and learning as much as I can)
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

jrose1970

Thank you all so much for the well wishes! I will definitely keep you posted on the mill.
Hang in there Schakey. Your day will surely come. smiley_thumbsup
My mill still hasn't arrived, but the dealer is letting me know the status. Our little girl (four weeks old)
loves to go the the sawmill site with her Daddy! LOL

beenthere

;D :D
Amazing what a 4 week old can do to show her love for a sawmill site.   ;)

Enjoy as they grow up way too fast.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Next year she will be in the saw dust pile.  ;D Mama will be happy about the sawdust in her clothes.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jrose1970

I'm sure Mama will be overjoyed about that. LOL
The mill arrived! I may not have any time to set it up for a few weeks.
It is a nice one!

Magicman

Congrats on the arrival.  It will be kinda like "sugarplum memories".   8)

jrose1970

You're right!
Thanks again for the advice. I will have pictures in about two weeks!

Wintergreen Mountain

Quote from: jrose1970 on August 25, 2014, 01:44:31 PM
Thanks very much! That is all very good advice.
The main thing is to not get hurt.

Congrats on the new HUDSON mill! You are going to enjoy it.
  LEON

1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

JustGreg

Congrats on the new mill. I have a new Woodland Mills mill thats been un-crated and sitting in my shop for nearly a month. Hopefully when the weather cools, I'll have some time to get it set up.
Woodland Mills HM126

bandmiller2

Congrats my friend, you will soon  be looking at trees the same way a pussy cat looks at birds in the feeder. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

jrose1970

LOL  I already am.  Every tree has a log of a certain length and diameter. :)
I mainly want to figure out the largest square beam at the small end of the log and multiply by the length to figure the board feet. Thank you all very much! Dan'l Boone used and axe and we can use a band sawmill. In my head I am designing cabins and everything.

thecfarm

JustGreg,welcome to the forum. What's all the lumber going to be used for?

JustGreg

Thanks for the welcome. Im in need of a couple of out buildings. Also, my wife is a woodworker so, hopefully, I can keep her supplied with lumber.

.....sorry for the thread derail jrose.
Woodland Mills HM126

jrose1970

That's alright JustGreg. :)  Welcome!  It is a great group of people to answer questions.  My stepson and nephew helped me set the sawmill on the rails yesterday!
We leveled the rails on Sunday. They are almost perfect. It sure does roll easy.
Now I need a torquewrench to torque the blade and a chane to drag a log up and then it will be ready!

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, JustGreg.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dboyt

Welcome to the forum & good milling to both of you.  Jrose with the sawmill and that young 'un, you're going to be sleep deprived, for sure (you probably already are).  There's nothing like seeing the inside of a log for the first time.  After 12 years, I still love it!  Just be safe, and keep a few extra blades handy for when you hit the log stops.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

GAB

Quote from: jrose1970 on September 18, 2014, 01:28:41 PM
LOL  I already am.  Every tree has a log of a certain length and diameter. :)
I mainly want to figure out the largest square beam at the small end of the log and multiply by the length to figure the board feet. Thank you all very much! Dan'l Boone used and axe and we can use a band sawmill. In my head I am designing cabins and everything.

In answer to your question:"I mainly want to figure out the largest square beam at the small end of the log" the largest square, assuming a perfectly round log, is .70711 x diameter inside the bark at the small end. 
Hope that helps.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

jrose1970

Thanks! Yes, we are in our early forties and having an infant is different than it was 20 years ogo.  :D  Okay great. Thanks for the math advice.  That's the easiest way that I have found to estimate the board footage. I'm a few weeks away from seeing the inside of a log. But it will happen!

jrose1970

Okay! I finally saved up enough for my 20 foot chain and a torque wrench. LOL
I hope to see sawdust tomorrow!

Okrafarmer

You can get one of those log scaling sticks from some of our Forum sponsors, I do believe. If not, search for "log scaling stick" on the internet, but I'm sure at least one or two of our sponsors sell them. I personally found that the International Scale is the most accurate scale for estimating the amount of bfage ("board footage") in a log when milling with a thin kerf bandmill. Of course it's just an estimate, and various factors will increase or decrease the actual total.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

woodweasel

congratulations there nice toys / machines

jrose1970

I brought a coffee cup full of sawdust to work this morning to prove that I actually crunk up the sawmill! LOL
There was a lot to learn. I'm pretty sure the square side of my log dogs are backward. If the scale and crank handle is on the right with the adjustable end of the blade guides on the right, it seems like the square side of the log dogs would be on the left, but mine are on the right.
   Plus, I hit three nails. arg. :) 
Thanks for the information about the "log scaling sticks".

Okrafarmer

Got it all figured out now?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

jrose1970

Hey Okrafarmer,
  A little more. I did turn my log dogs around so that the square side is on the left. Opposite the crank handle and the scale. It is a lot better.
However the small 1 inch tall blocks are still on the right. I think one day when I have some stout young fellers around we will have to pick the sawmill up and turn it around. Then, of course, I'll have to turn the log dogs around again.
It works fine until you get down pretty small.  I love raising okra myself. Sweet potatoes grow good in the same type soil. :)

Thank You Sponsors!