iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill planer

Started by stihlsawer, August 21, 2014, 06:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stihlsawer

Anyone have or have used an old Hermance planer? I am not sure about the model yet, but if I remember it is not frozen.

I have a chance to get it for $200. Any advise id greatly appreciated.

Trever
Trever Jones
Stihl 076 Super, 034, MS 260 PRO, MS 192T
Dolmar 116si
GB 44" lumber mill, Mini mill, Beam machine

stihlsawer

Planer is 8" X 24" and is tight but not frozen. I will price a rollback to pickup and deliver and counteroffer from there.

Pics are in my gallery under Hermance planer

Trever
Trever Jones
Dolmar 116si

hackberry jake

Everything appears to be there. It looks like it would probably bring that in scrap. I would give the man $200 as fast as I could.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

jimparamedic

I'd come pick it up for that and I'm in Southeast Ohio

stihlsawer

I am buying it tomorrow for $200. I will figure out how to load it later.

More to follow.

Trever
Trever Jones
Dolmar 116si

BmoreReclaimed

Quote from: hackberry jake on August 25, 2014, 11:00:42 PM
Everything appears to be there. It looks like it would probably bring that in scrap. I would give the man $200 as fast as I could.

Agreed

stihlsawer

On another site, I was informed this was a matcher (even better). Can't wait to get the model number and research the machine.

Trever
Trever Jones
Dolmar 116si

stihlsawer

The planer matcher is a Hermance No.2 serial number 3359.

Anyone have information or pictures they could send my way. I think there is another cutterhead that supposed to be with it, but I am unsure. Either way, I can still plane with it with no problem. I am making some ramps for my trailer so I can go get it.

Trever
Trever Jones
Dolmar 116si

FarmingSawyer

I used to regularly work with Hermance.....we could s4s a 6x12.....or a couple hundred in an hour.... We mostly set it up for s4s 2x and 1x and T&G 1x and 2x cardecking of all widths.  As I recall there is a knack to setting the infeed rollers so they don't spring the upper cutter head arm.....I know we cracked one once. There was a lot of home-made ducting and a crank-start 4 cylinder motor upstairs to power a chip exhuast squirrel cage blower. Running a set of 2x we could fill a dump truck in no time.

Even with a production mill, we would mill for days, to spend only a morning planning it all.

It helps to have a lathe for sharpening the side cutters and a jig for touching up the upper & lower heads in place. And when you get things set right, keep a test pattern for the next time! It also helps to have cull material to run in 1st and last while you make adjustments and finish a run...that way you're not unsetting everything to retrieve stock  unless you need to.
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

stihlsawer

Thank you Sir. I will make note of it. I will be on the look out for other heads for it.

Trever
Trever Jones
Dolmar 116si

stihlsawer

I have it on my trailer now and haven't had time to clean it yet. It is missing the bottom cutter head and both matcher heads. Oh well. I should be able to use as a one sided planer for awhile until I locate other pieces. It is missing a few odds and ends here and there. I guess this is a No.8 according to Hermance. Hermance said their records should it was shipped in 1916 to TN and showed up again in their ledger in 1952. Pretty neat and look forward to working on it.

Trever
Trever Jones
Dolmar 116si

stihlsawer

I have cleaned the matcher and have removed a few components. It is missing the bottom cutter head assembly, both side matching assemblies, and the bevel gear that is on the outside which is part of the bed control system.

I have a lot more cleaning to do and media blasting. I am sure I will have to try my hand at some small patternmaking for the cast parts needed.

I have the top cutterhead assembly removed and the chip deflector removed in these pics.

Trever
Trever Jones
Dolmar 116si

hackberry jake

It looks like you will get to try your hand at pouring babbit as well  8)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=78268.new#new

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

stihlsawer

Yes Sir, about eight of them.

Trever
Trever Jones
Dolmar 116si

woodworker9

Nice get!  In case you don't know, there's an OWWM website for old machines of this nature, (I'm a member and a fanatic) and right now there are 5 guys doing a "Matcher restoration race" with tons and tons of photo's.  I know 4 of the guys personally, and reading the thread there will give you a tremendous amount of insight on what they've already learned.

I don't know if any of the machines being restored is a Hermance, but they are all pretty similarly made machines.

Good luck with yours!
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

stihlsawer

Thank you for the information. Those guys are a wealth of knowledge, just like on this site. Look me up on OWWM under stihlsawer. I am learning a lot from them.

Trever
Trever Jones
Dolmar 116si

Solomon

Quote from: stihlsawer on September 05, 2014, 05:18:27 PM
The planer matcher is a Hermance No.2 serial number 3359.

Anyone have information or pictures they could send my way. I think there is another cutterhead that supposed to be with it, but I am unsure. Either way, I can still plane with it with no problem. I am making some ramps for my trailer so I can go get it.

Trever

Stihl Sawyer,  two web sites you should have a look at.  Folks on theese sites often aquire and do complete and total restorations on very old wood and metel working machinery.

vintagemachinery.com  and vintagemachinery.org
You can find very proffessional and knowlegable help there.
Like the forestry forum the folks on those sites are really awsome and more than willing to share thier expert knowledge.
Congrats on that find.  Looks like a stellar piece of machinery.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

hackberry jake

Just don't ask anybody over at the vintage site about selling an extra part they have laying around... I got my little PB Blaster spanked for doing that.

beenthere

I too made the mistake of asking a question on that site.  Kappoww!! I have an old Oliver No. 19 wood lathe that I was asking about. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hackberry jake

Let me guess... You asked what it was worth? that'll do it too.

beenthere

No, I did not ask that. Have never been interested in what it is worth.
May have been about getting additional tooling for it, as that has been my only interest.
Don't have the original tool rest for it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Missouriwildman

StihlSawyer,
I think thats an awesome find. A fun project to rebuild & when its done you'll never need another! I love that old stuff.
On order Timberking 1600 , 25 hp diesel, TK blade sharpener and setter. JD 5210 with 540 loader and 5 ton Braden 3 point winch for skidding timber. Bobcat S160 turbo hi flow with loader forks. Chainsaws ms 200t , ms 210, ms 250, ms 390, can't hook, Log waggon and other stuff..I love stuf

stihlsawer

Quote from: hackberry jake on October 06, 2014, 11:45:17 PM
Let me guess... You asked what it was worth? that'll do it too.

That's what I did. Not very pretty but I learn quick.

Trever
Trever Jones
Dolmar 116si

stihlsawer

Quote from: Missouriwildman on October 07, 2014, 10:49:06 AM
StihlSawyer,
I think thats an awesome find. A fun project to rebuild & when its done you'll never need another! I love that old stuff.

Thank you and it is part of my sawmill project: it, a Belsaw M14 and a 21" Corley Junior (wood frame).

Trever
Trever Jones
Dolmar 116si

woodworker9

The OWWM website is easy enough to get along in as long as you read the rules there.....first.  Just like any forum, they have their rules, and they have a zero tolerance policy about them.  Number one reason for it is to prevent the forum from slipping into chaos.

Once you learn the rules, it's an invaluable resource for restoring and repairing old machines that work great, but have no support from a manufacturer, because they've been out of business for 50 plus years.

My entire woodshop is comprised of OWWM's that I've restored myself.  I've got 30 plus restorations under my belt, and I would have been lost without the collective knowledge of that forum.......very much in the way that I would be lost about sawmills without this forum.

The guys that are members there are a terrific bunch.  I host a party in my shop every year the weekend of "Arnfest", the annual gathering of the mob, and we have a great time.  They put their pants on one leg at a time, just like everybody else.

Sorry to sound like I'm defending here, but I wouldn't want anyone who needs help with an old machine to shy away from that forum.  It's all about the machines, and once they're gone....well, they're gone!  Let's save them.  Nothing made today for less than $20,000 can come even close to the quality of the machines I have in my shop, and most of them are over 60 years old, and all given new life.......
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Thank You Sponsors!