iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawdust removal idea, any suggestions?

Started by Tom L, August 21, 2014, 09:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L

I moved my lt40 super into a shed over last winter, and being inside has accumulated a lot of sawdust to be sure

there is a guy down the road from me with a blower for sale, can pick it up cheap, gasser

I was thinking of making a trough, with a piece of corrugated pipe in it, the holes in the pipe would draw in sawdust out of the mill and deposit it via the outflow of the blower into a box. I have found a canvas supplier that can make a cover for the box to act as a big filter. then I can lift the box with my tractor and move it to my pickup truck and take it to the horse lady around the corner, who takes the sawdust for free.

has anyone tried a pipe with holes in it to get rid of sawdust? I know I can hook up a flex pipe to the outflow of the mill
and pump it that way, but that technique seems to have a lot of moving parts that may not last. and some modifications to the mill, that I am hesitant to do.

Alligator

I'm pretty good with ideas, and have a good bit of experience with planer blowers. I made a small dust collector / blower for my shop. Post some pictures, and dimensions and I will draw some idea. They are always free and no  guarantees. 
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Ljohnsaw

What about that video that was on here a while back.  Have a bin on the saw head that collects the sawdust.  When you return to the beginning of the log, it dumps the contents from the last pass onto a pile (or in this case, in a large box).  Have a few boxes that you can use to store and haul.  How much sawdust can does a saw make in one pass (CU-FT wize)?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Tom L

Quote from: ljohnsaw on August 21, 2014, 11:00:25 AM
What about that video that was on here a while back.  Have a bin on the saw head that collects the sawdust.  When you return to the beginning of the log, it dumps the contents from the last pass onto a pile (or in this case, in a large box).  Have a few boxes that you can use to store and haul.  How much sawdust can does a saw make in one pass (CU-FT wize)?

on wide material if I collect dust in a 5 gallon bucket, I have to clear the bucket every pass.

I am trying to get rid of as much airborne dust as possible also.

Dave Shepard

To get rid of airborne dust, you really need to have the vacuum hose attached to the mill. If you let it blow into a trough, you will have plenty of airborne dust. Before the vacuum, I couldn't saw red oak in the mill building. After, it was amazing how much better it was. There was only dust under the mill that fell off boards and cants. In the pic below, you can see the contraption that I made for a '94 LT40. I had to do this to leave room to service the edger. If you didn't need access to that side of the mill, you could attach to the original outlet. Bibbyman has a hose that attaches to the outlet of the mill, and might not require anything more than a couple of holes. This particular mill had two holes already on the bottom, and I screwed a board across the bottom so I could remove it to blow on the floor if needed. On my '08 LT40, the chute is on a hinge, which I think is bolted on. If so, you could unbolt it and attach your adapter there.

My special low cost swivel. SDR35 fittings. I removed the gasket from the elbow and greased the inside of the fitting. The spring keeps the elbow from falling off.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

YellowHammer

I'm pretty conventional when it comes to sawdust removal.  I've got an electric blower that I turn on in the morning, a dump trailer that gets emptied every day, and a few runs of steel stovepipe and plastic flex.  The end of the flex hose is split and slipped right over the hinged dust chute of the saw.  A swivel similar to Dave's or a store bought version allows the flex hose to spin and follow the saw head and not twist the hose, so it lasts a very long time. 
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

bandmiller2

Fine dust is hard to control, sometimes its a product of cutting too slow and can be improved upon by a faster feed. Sawdust handling with my bandmill is a simple its blown out on a cement floor behind the mill. It takes me no time to push it in a pile with a snow pusher, simple is good. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!