iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice needed on joinery

Started by New Brunswick, August 20, 2014, 07:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

New Brunswick

Hi all, I was wondering what is the best way to brace in between my posts to top of band. Posts are 7x7 and top band is 2x12 and there are 2 of them. I have seen many different ways people have made this brace. Thought I would post and see what you guys think. Thank you for any help.

Joe

venice

Joe,

hard to tell from your pic´s, are you using two 2x12 with a 3" gap between them as headers? Second question, did you join all the headers at every post or are some of them spanning over 3 posts?

edit: what are your plans for roof construction?

venice

venice

I put a quick drawing together how i would proceed, based on that my assumption about your construction is correct.

From a structural point of view there are two things i would change. At first i would ad a 3rd member screwed or bolted between the two 2x12 to reduce the risk of sideward bowing under load. Create a full header so to speak.

2. joning the headers directly at the post is less than ideal and creates an weak point. I would put some horizontal bracing over the joint using threaded rods.

The bracing between header and post could be bolted between the two 2x12 and fastend with bolts or screws to the post. Mortising them into the post is an option but i think bolts will do.

Question to the Mod´s: Is there a way to make the drawing more visible? I´ve been playing around with the file but i could´nt get it any better. Thanks.

beenthere

Seems hard to comment on bracing without knowing what the roof structure will be above the rim boards (bands, headers) and what the future plans are for the openings between the posts. As well, have the same question as venice about the rim boards.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

New Brunswick

Thanks for the input Venice! The posts are all 12' feet apart ish, with exception on the gable ends, where as one gable they are 9' and on the other gable end I have a span of 18'. All 2x12 used for top band, and posts are 7"x7" and they are notched in to receive the 2x12 that are nailed and liquid nailed at every post. did not span 3 posts. I added cross bracing this weekend and will post a few pictures, I will take some close ups pics tonight to show you better what I did. For the cross braces, I measured from top of band, down and across 4' in each direction and made the braces to fit in between the top band...total length of 2x7 brace was around 70" ish and I notched that to slide up between the band and nailed it to the band and just nailed it to the post...I used 4" galv ardox nails..The rafters are 28' shed style rafter with about a 3/12 slope...I plan on putting them at 3' centers and strap with 2x4 on 1" centers and steel roofing. On most of the side openings I am considering having doors on front and back so I can drive through.

New Brunswick

New Brunswick

Rafters have a 2x8 bottom cord and 2x6 top cord and 2x6 webbing. These are trusses that I salvaged from taking down a building that was to be demolished. These rafters were actually attached to another building when I took them off and they were at 2' centers. I may be pushing the envelope by spacing them at 3'??

venice

Thanks for the update. Looking good.

Try to find out what kind of load your rafters are designed for. Check with your local building dep. what snow load to expect and space them acordingly. Err on the safe side.

There was a thread about a shed collapsed under snow load here on the forum not that long ago.

Thank You Sponsors!