iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Takes lots of energy to get some power!

Started by ET, August 19, 2014, 10:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET

Spent most of the afternoon using the triple nickel trenching to get power back to the barn.  Hope to get the trench finished tomorrow, then I've got to glue together that expensive grey pipe that Edison made me buy.

Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Magicman

Looks like good dirt and not so tough digging.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Ayup,that does look like some nice digging there. Not a rock to be seen. Nice digger too.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandhills

I like the trench and really like the hoe, but I want the barn!   ;D

Andy White

ET,
Are you going to have to pull the cables, or is Edison going to do that? Are you going with three phase or single? Regardless,
that is a fine trenching job you have done. Bet you can't wait to "burn some kilowatts!"  8) 8) 8)     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

ET

Andy, yes my electrician friend will use a vacuum to suck what he calls a mouse through the over 400 feet of pipe then pull the wire through.  Been using a small 1000 watt gen for small hand tools and my 4000 to run my table saw.

The digging has gone well so far, the closer I get to the barn the more glacier stone deposit there is. Ill get maybe a few more pics. I also have to set the big transformer base too. Im trying to do as much myself as I can.

No 3 ph available, putting a 400 amp service which will also power my other 900 sq ft workshop and my other barn. Both those building are currently being powered through my home 200 amp service.  Then I can expense all the electrical usage for the farm and sawmill business
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Gadrock

From experience, consider installing additional conduits along the same trench. They can come into a great savings in the future. I know that putting down 400 feet of conduit can be expensive as well as digging another one in the future. But at least consider one for water, maybe another for "signal" source electrical.

Sometime the "code" monsters will declare that you must use separation between conduits where you can install them right after they depart and prior to covering. The reason you are putting down conduit is for protection against water and against foreign strikes (shovels, spikes) or you would be using "direct  contact---underground certified cable". If you used direct burial cable ALWAYS use a separate trench.

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

ET

David, can a TV cable i .e for direct TV be able to work at those distances?  Would be nice to get my hunting, fishing, and golf show out in new barn without buying a new service?

scleigh

My building is 350' from the house and checked on the direc tv thing as well. Seems like the best deal was to buy another dish and receiver, tie it to your current account for $10 a month.

shinnlinger

Run a length of water pipe after the inspector leaves.  You can pull Internet or what have you thru that   
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

StimW

While a Hoe is nice, using a trencher would have done the job in a lot less time.
The trenchers do an awful lot of work in a short period of time. (And they are FUN!)
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

beenthere

Which trencher are you referring to?  And is it ground without rocks/boulders/tree roots, etc. ??  Just curious.
;)

Pic pls.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

ET

Finished the trench today, and got into solid gravel. It was fairly hard going but got it finished. Next step will be setting the transformer base and getting the grey pipe glued up. Had to saw up an old boxelder which was blocking my path through a fence line, will make some nice firewood for years to come.

ET

Forgot to mention that my electrician warned me not to use a trencher because I had dozens of trees to get thru roots and the line needed to be down 3 feet.  He said that hes had nothing but trouble with trenchers.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brad_S.

Quote from: Gadrock on August 21, 2014, 10:30:44 AM
From experience, consider installing additional conduits along the same trench. They can come into a great savings in the future. I know that putting down 400 feet of conduit can be expensive...
Power company here MADE me put two 4" schedule 80 lines in the trench. The other is a "spare". Very expensive spare!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

ozarkgem

Quote from: Brad_S. on August 22, 2014, 10:40:09 PM
From experience, consider installing additional conduits along the same trench. They can come into a great savings in the future. I know that putting down 400 feet of conduit can be expensive...
Power company here MADE me put two 4" schedule 80 lines in the trench. The other is a "spare". Very expensive spare!
2- 4" sch 40!   why?  Bet that did cost a bundle
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

ozarkgem

nice looking trench. How has the Ford hoe been? I was looking for one when I ran across my Case. My old Ford Industrial tractor has been a real workhorse. I love it.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Holmes

Quote from: ozarkgem on August 28, 2014, 06:45:58 AM
Quote from: Brad_S. on August 22, 2014, 10:40:09 PM
2- 4" sch 40!   why?  Bet that did cost a bundle
2  4" schedule 80  is twice as much
Think like a farmer.

Al_Smith

It used to be the power company took care of all the underground  primary going to the transformer .The customer was responsible for the secondary IE-from the transformer  to point of usage .

It doesn't surprise me in the least the way the power companies wine and dine the PUCO they got that changed .

The 555 Ford was the first back hoe I ever operated ,nice old machine.

Thank You Sponsors!