iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 HYD (Cat) Hydraulics quit today, any thoughts.

Started by Kipper, August 19, 2014, 09:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kipper

I had to make four re-saw cuts today so I loaded the boards on the mill, ran the hydros with out the engine running (didn't notice them running slow or sluggish). Started the engine, made my cuts and after the last cut I tried to release the moveable arm and it wouldn't budge, I shut the engine off, switched the key switch to the 3 spot and tried to run the hydros to release the bottom boards at this point I also tried all of the levers and nothing moved. I can hear a clicking sound and what sounds like the pump running but of course the cylinders don't move. I was able to get my bottom boards out by working them back and forth. Had to leave the mill due to delivering some wood and getting back home for a meeting. The manual is out at the mill so I plan to look at it tomorrow afternoon after work, just looking to see if anyone else has had the same issue.

Also, I did look to see if the carriage would go up and down and forward and back and it does so it makes me think the problem is isolated to the hydros.

Any thoughts or words of wisdom would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Kip
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Your engine running should have no effect on whether the hydraulic motor runs, but it definitely will determine how long the battery stays charged enough to keep it running.  Remember, low voltage means high amps, and you can blow a fuse or worse very quickly.

It's a matter of troubleshooting to determine for sure if the pump motor is running.  If not it could be as simple as the contact button on the power strip.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

If the pump is running, and none of the functions respond, then I suspect you are low on oil.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Have you cleaned your copper strip? Move your head to different locations on your copper strip and see if you get things to work.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

slider

I don't think your pump is running.My mill did the same thing a couple of times and it's most of the time the z fuses going bad.If they are not completely burnt into the solenoid will click but the pump won't run.
al glenn

Chuck White

Could also be that the brushes in the hydraulic pump motor are shot!

I had to have mine replaced a couple of weeks ago.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MartyParsons

Hello.
Clicking usually indicates that the contact button needs adjusted or the strip needs cleaned. Also check the bottom rail to make sure the ground is making good contact.
We are training a new tech. I was just showing him how to check one that was clicking. We took battery jumper cables and went from the battery + to the solenoid and then from Battery - to the ground in the hydraulic box. Then we removed one at a time to see where the issue is. Remove the ground and it works then it would be the + power to the solenoid. Remove just the + and then it would be the ground. The clicking would indicate a low amp or voltage issue. There is enough volts to engage the solenoid but not enough power to run the pump motor.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Kipper

Thank you all for the help! It was the copper strip and it needed to be cleaned. We were up and running in a few minutes.
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Thank you for reporting back.  Solutions will help the next person that may have the same failure.  We all learn together.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

When my mill was fairly new I had to adjust the positive contact as it was not making a good connection. I also chewed up that contact strip by running the hydraulics while the head was still moving.

Magicman

Oh no.  I'll bet it was sparking big time.   electricuted-smiley

Dave Shepard

I'm not sure, you can't see the strip when standing in front of the levers.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!