iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawdust reaction

Started by Percy, July 20, 2004, 07:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

Ive been cutting WRC for about seven years now, prettywell full time for the last 15 months. When I had the walkalong. LT40, I ate/breathed copius amounts of sawdust. I wore masks when I could but on real hot days, it was near impossible. Anyhow, these days, the sawdust  is makin my nasal thingies all plugged most of the time and yesterday, I edged about 6000 bd ft for Mark(Lucas owner). I was feeding so I had to work hard. Sweating like mad. The wind changed and blew that real fine dust at me and before I could get a mask on, I was having a hard time breathing. Coffing like a chainsmoker.
  I reget not being more carefull when I first started milling and was warned by others about the "DUST" but didnt give it the respect I should have. Now that things are comming together, milling wise, I have this to deal with >:(
 Does anyone else suffer from this and how do you deal with it.? I love milling BUT I also love living, which includes breathing properly. Any help appreciated......
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Jeff

Percy, I am now severely allergic to Ash sawdust. It is taboo at our mill. THe owner found out the hard way that I was really allergic. I guess he thought he would be cute one day when I was gone. My back up sawed ash the day before I came back from being off. I walked into the mill that morning, not knowing, and within moments was having a severe asthma attack. My throat constricts and I break out in hives. Never used to be that way.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

EZ

Hi Percy, I know what you mean about wearing them dust mask. I wear them alot down at the shop cause most of the time it's mandatory. I do hate them but I know it's for the best.
When I cant saw away from the dust, I use a wet handkerchief, which is alot more comfortable. I wet it to keep me a little cooler and it helps keeping the dust out better. This is probably not as safe as a dust mask but it sure fill alot better.
EZ

Percy

Heya Jeff,
Sounds like we suffer the same thing only you get it worse. Ive never cut Ash so I dont know if Id react. Has it always been like that for you with Ash or did it develope?

Heya EZ.
Im gonna try the wet hankwerchif thing next time you bet, Might werk ;D

PS. My holidays start tonight, Im goin to Vegas, eeeehaaawww, My niece is getting married at the Flamingo so Unka Percy is showin up. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Jeff

Percy, the Ash allergy progressed from nothing to severe. Used to saw it all the time. I started having breathing troubles what I attributed to colds at times but never made the association because we usually sawed mixed hardwoods. I now keep benydryl in the sawbooth because if one gets through accidently, just the debarking of it will set me off. The debarker guy is pretty good about catching them and taking them to the west mill but sometimes one will fool him.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

PackRat

I've been re-cutting a lot of salvaged 100 year old redwood from a house I've been remodelling.  It could just be a coincidence but I've noticed that after I've been working in the dust for a long period I tend to develop a persistent cough.  I've since bought dust collectors and a Dustfoe Dust Mask (highly recommended, but apparently no longer available).  The coughing has definitely become less frequent.  I don't own a mill yet :( but I will certainly be wearing my mask when I am cutting.

florida

Here's what you need.  http://www.allergybuyersclubshopping.com/care-flo-60-portable-respirator.html

It's not cheap but it might turn out to be real inexpensive in the long run. I've ruined my hearing, eyes and lungs from 30 years of exposure to loud noises, wood dust and who knows what else. Redwood and cedar both are terrible for causing woodworkers cough and allergies. I know many carpenters and woodworkers who can't work with either one any more because of exposure to the sawdust.

I put my earplugs around my neck as soon as I get dressed every morning. It's such a habit that I even put them on Saturday and Sundays.  I tuck them under my shirt and I always put them in whenever I'm around and loud noises. It's too late for me but I figure I'll keep what I have left.

http://www.elvex.com/reusable-ear-plugs.htm
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

hiya

As I get older I have trouble with wood dust. I build a lot of out door stuff out of red wood & ceder.Some times my nose run faster than a sprinter. I guess my nose runs & mt feet smell :o :o
Richard
RichardinMd.

Fla._Deadheader

This may not be what y'all wanna hear, but, my B-I-L nearly had his nasal passages stopped up with sawdust. He had a Roto- Rooter type thing done and said you would never believe what gets trapped in yer noggin. Helped HIM a bunch, and wasn't as bad as it sounds. ::)  He refuses to wear ANY protection, HUH, WHAT ????????
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Cedar Eater

WRC. Is that Western Red Cedar? If so, there might be nothing you can do. I had a carpenter doing work in my house when I lived in California. This was after I had panelled a ceiling with T&G Western Red Cedar. He looked up and wouldn't even come in the door until I assured him that it had been triple coated with urethane. There's something about the dust that can even get you through your skin if you're allergic.

Cedar Eater

Thank You Sponsors!