iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Walnut Plethora

Started by Joe5986, August 19, 2014, 08:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe5986

Sold 13 gigantic black walnut trees a week or so ago- guy only wanted the lower portions- now i have a boatload of black walnut.

Question is: is it worth anything?! i honestly have no idea what to do with all of this week. i cleaned up all the trees and have it all stacked- there are some pretty big pieces. i just don't know what to do with it. do people buy this type of thing for woodworking purposes or just for firewood?

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Joe5986.  Adding your location to your profile might help with identifying an outlet.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Joe5986

Thanks Magicman- just found this forum and there is a crazy amount of information here! i've updated my profile!

Leigh Family Farm

Welcome to the forum! It looks like most of your logs are short in length to make good boards, but they do look good for pen blanks, wood carving, and other small projects. Do you have anyone near you that can square up the larger pieces to get a good block from? It might be too much money for the effort. Can you split the small pieces into firewood and bundle it for the upcoming winter season?
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

GAB

Joe5986:
Suggestion; before you go making firewood with it try and see if any wood turners might be interested in some of it.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

21incher

Welcome to the forum Joe5986. Looks like you could get some lumber out of them, and some turning blanks, but the small stuff I usually use for firewood. Most likely they are going to start cracking soon if you don't coat the ends of the larger pieces. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Magicman

There is good reason that the buyer only wanted the butt logs.  The second cut straight logs will generally do OK for lumber, but "limb logs" are not really logs and the  internal stress will deal you misery.  They will serve as several described above.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerBrown

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Joe!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Den Socling

When I see walnut limbs, I think of figured wood like this. What a shame to see it go as firewood.

mesquite buckeye

Walnut is highly valuable. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Brad_S.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

36 coupe

Quote from: Joe5986 on August 19, 2014, 08:37:30 AM
Sold 13 gigantic black walnut trees a week or so ago- guy only wanted the lower portions- now i have a boatload of black walnut.

Question is: is it worth anything?! i honestly have no idea what to do with all of this week. i cleaned up all the trees and have it all stacked- there are some pretty big pieces. i just don't know what to do with it. do people buy this type of thing for woodworking purposes or just for firewood? You need to find out what black walnut is worth before burning.it.The smallest pieces are prized by wood workers.Not much black walnut grows here.The logs you have would make gun stocks, grips for hand guns and all kinds of craft work.Kitchen cabinets and furniture come to mind.

goose63

This is happppy with his limb wood

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

I saw a lot of odd shaped Walnut and ERC for a taxidermist.

coxy

try finding some amish up there  heard they are doing good    good luck let us know how you make out ;D

julesfl

wOW! You have a gold mine!  Go on over to www.woodbarter,  maybe they can help you out.  But over on page 5 walnut is selling ......36" x 8.5" at 2" thick for 50 dollars.  Woodworkers love small pieces of wood!  You don't even have to dry it out!  People who use the lathe, use wet wood.
Hope this helps. 
Julesfl

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Joe.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Hello julesfl, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  How about starting an intro thread and sharing some of your "wood" interest.   :)

petefrom bearswamp

I was given some top wood a few years ago, sawed them into 3" slabs, live edge air dried and sold 25 for $700.
A good deal!
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!