iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Metal Detector Question

Started by Dracomeister, August 18, 2014, 11:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracomeister

OK, so there I was getting ready to saw up a Walnut log my brother had given me when I saw a tiny glint in the bark.  I dug around it with my trusty Gerber and lo and behold what should pop out but a piece of barbed wire.  There was no outer indication of wire, no swelling or scars of any sort but the wire was still there. My question is this, what is the best metal detector for use on logs and standing trees?  I have many trees standing in old fence rows but I don't know which ones were used for fence posts and the Walnut log had to have been small when the wire was trapped inside.  Thanks again for all your help!
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know!

logboy

I use a Fisher F70. For slabbing it is great because it will easily pick up anything within 3".  Barbed wire, conduit, gate hardware, I've found it. It has easily paid for itself. I scan after every slab.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Magicman

I have a Garrett 250, but the handiest thing that I have is a Bounty Hunter Handyman Nailfinder.  LINK  There are many others.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sawyer697

Bought a Lumber wizard 4, and found out that it will not stand up to moisture, They replaced it, so it stays in the Workshop. Now I have a Garrett Super Scanner V. It is very good, and holds up to Moisture. This is one like they use at the Airport. 8) 
1997 LTHD40G24 WM Mill. 640 Bobcat. 555 ford Backhoe, Husky 365XP
40 Acres Foresty
Custom Sawing in Geauga and Lake County
Build my own solar kiln
Build Furniture, Out Buildings
Bee Keeper, Love My Lord

Magicman

Yup, my "wizard" also conked out.  A forum search on metal detectors should find many.

Someone showed an underwater unit that looked really nice and was reasonably priced.  I am sure that they will read this.   ;)

edit: here it is  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dracomeister

Thanks for the info and the links, I'm shopping today!  I hacked the base of the log up with an old axe and found the wire wrapped around about 4" from the center (log was 24" diameter) and about 6" up from the cut (surprised my Bro didn't hit it with the chainsaw).  I used my "treasure hunter" style metal detector to find one more batch, cut the log off above it, and went happily to work! Hate to lose 4' of Walnut but I'd hate to lose a blade worse!
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know!

BCsaw

MM, how do find that Bounty Hunter Nailfinder?

Is it accurate? What is the cost? Would you buy another one?

The small size must definitely make it handy!
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Magicman

Google it.  Some sources show it "out of stock" but some show it available.  Here is one that appears to have it in stock:  LINK

tcg

Magicman

How deep does the bounty hunter nail finder detect metal objects in the wood?

Tom

Magicman

I have had trouble trying to locate metal in a log after it was loaded because of the sawmill.  It has to be done before the log is loaded.  Get within 6-8" and it is buzzing.

The last nail that we found was 3-4" deep.

tcg

Magicman,

Thank-you, I will definitely order one.
I have attempted to use a very old metal detector a friend gave me but with sporadic success.

Tom

BmoreReclaimed

I'm in the reclaimed industry so metal detectors are valued tools.  I've found the ones available at wood stores{lumber wizard brand I think} work, but you get what you pay for, get yourself a Garret Super Scanner if you want the best.  150$ on amazon, and you can play bouncer at your next party!

Thank You Sponsors!