iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice on Buying ~ J D 648 E or 648 D

Started by H60 Hawk Pilot, August 18, 2014, 10:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H60 Hawk Pilot

Hello All,

I'm looking at a 648 E and it's been rebuilt.. or claimed to be rebuilt. It does have a good appearance and looks A Ok. 

My No# 1 Question, is the 648 E a problem child and may have electronic problems or not ?

I read that the 648 D was favored over the 648 E model but I did not see the reason why. 

Both the 648 E and the 648 D mode are priced about the same, in the $15 K range. 

The 648 E has AC and that's a plus in FL. No, it does not work but all the AC components are there.

The biggest draw back on both skidders is 25% to 30 % rubber and tires are expensive. I won't be using it much and the tires should last me quite awhile. 

I'm logging my own timber and don't need a fancy or high dollar machine for my own use.

Thank You,

Avery
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

BargeMonkey

Single arch ? Dual arch ? Conditions of pins and centers ? Major repairs ? 30.5's on both machines ? Winch ? Pictures go a long ways in judging over the computer. Parts are readily available for both those machines, its just choosing which one isnt tired. Have you checked the axles in both machines ? Those are both inboard axle machines, can be lots of fun to do a seal, so check those too. You can usually tell alot just from a 10 min look. Pop the floor boards. Bring it up to temperature and see if it smokes real bad under a load.

H60 Hawk Pilot

1. Double arch on both 648's.

2. Center pins have been done on 648 E, the 648 D has a little wear but not excessive {per owner).

3. I will be looking at the 648E tomorrow and will test it and buy it if it's A Ok.

4. I did not know about the in-board seal design and will check for leakage (everywhere).

a. A John  Deere mechanic owned the 648 E and rebuilt it completely (per owner), the trans., center pins, and engine. I've worked as heavy equipment (mostly on engines) and retired now. I don't know that much about skidders and looing for pointer's on the JD 648's.

b. Both have winches and the drive line is connected and reported to operate A Ok. Neither of the 648's have welded patches on the framework. The 648 E has a weeping cyl. on the blade, other wise No leaks... per owner.

It always a risk to get a straight story from a seller on the phone. I have to travel 260 miles to see/ buy the machine 648 E. I'll be one unhappy camper if it's junk and drove all that way for nothing... we'll see.

*** Really, I wanted to know if the JD 648's (D's or E's) had some faults that were real problems and perhaps... a machine to stay away from ?!?

It's a buyers market for the older skidders; the trick is finding one that has some life left in it without major repairs. I need about 250 hours from it and I done with timber cutting job.   

Thanks in Advance,

Avery
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

BargeMonkey

Call "heart of dixie equipment", be nice and ask one of those guys, im sure they can give you a few pointers. A leaking cylinder isnt a major thing. The D series machines will be around with the cockroaches and 240 jacks till the end of time. The 640E wasnt the odd critter for the E series, the early 540E's where known for trouble with transmissions and only having a 4cyl.

tj240

ive ran them both the e series has a more friendly hyd controls no real issues with either. make sure the pins for the front end are ok you can do this by putting down the blade to check for up and down movement. then put pressure on the blade and turn the machine if the front end moves side to side you have issues. good luck
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

H60 Hawk Pilot

Barge Monkey & T J  240

*** Barge Monkey, I use to work on the big barges (1970's) that were based out of Pittsburgh, PA. I worked for Cummins Diesel at the time. We had our (twins) VT 1710's Cummins Diesels in the big ocean going barrages.

1. I called Dixie Equipment today, they have several J D 648's that are being parted out.

2. I called Flint J D in Dothan, AL, the 648 E is still carried in the J D Parts inventory.

3. I will check the JD 648 E out for pin wear. I understand your the method of applying  down force and raising the front end and turning side to side. I know about inspecting the center hinge mounting area for wear { this machine has just had the center hinge pins rebuilt/ replaced.

Now, I'm guessing... about the front end-in wear check You're talking about. I take it that

I'm "  Checking for Front Axle Wear Mounting on their Attachment Pins. "  I think this is the area your addressing in your post ... am I right or wrong ?

4. I found out from J D Parts Department, that the J D 648 E has minimal electronics and that's a big relief. I used to work on late model excavators and this was constant battle with electronic problems. I have 100's of hours of troubleshooting time i.e. bad grounds, bad wiring harness, bad sensors, fried box, open circuit, etc. .

Thanks,

Avery

qsloggingil

The D model is a lighter and a much better hyd system than the E. I have a D and never to many problems but I worked around a 548e I hate the grapple "not being 360 spin" with exposed hoses and the hydraulics were very slow and didn't take long for them to heat up when working them good. The replacement parts f

HiTech

That's a lot of skidder for logging your own timber. Unless you have very long hauls and the timber is huge perhaps a smaller skidder would be better. Parts would be cheaper. Well....sometimes anyway. lol

H60 Hawk Pilot

The White Pine Timber that I want to log is in the thirty inch range in size. It's located in a fairly hard spot to get too. I have to deal with some rocks for about half of the big WP to skid out. It will take a 2nd length (100 ft.+) of cable too connect to the skidder winch cable to winch in some these WP trees.  Once I get the big WP moving... it should come down off the steep part A Ok. Yes, I will have a some hang up and re-hooks but that's the price I'll pay to get my hands on this big WP. I have some nice oak that have not been cut for the same reason (not easy to get to). So, I need a skidder that will handle a big trees with a good sized winch drum. A few of these logs will be cut in long (42 ft.) lengths for beams for a log house.

The nice JD 648 E was sold two days ago. I could not arrange for a truck to pick it up fast enough and it was sold to the first man there with the money. I could have bought it (paid for it) and left it set there but that's too risky for me.

I got burnt that way, this was about 30 years ago. I bought a 5th wheel retriever on a Friday and it was gone on the following Monday. I asked the guy... where's the 5th wheel retriever that I bought from you. He said, hey, I don't know... I thought you came back and picked it up over the weekend. I said, that's impossible, I told you that I'd be back here Monday. You agreed to use your forklift to load it on my truck... he smiled at me. I called the police and they could do nothing. They told me that he and his three son's were professional crooks. So, I lost $ 2,200.00 for the rip off of the 5th wheel retriever {it's used for towing semi trucks). It took me about three years to square up my account with this bad guy. He ended up paying a fair price in another way for being a pro. crook. Remember the old saying, " what goes around, comes around; "  I understand the meaning of this old saying and works for me.   

2. The J D 648 D is still avaible and seems to be fair machine @ $ 13.5 K (firm). It has (1) tire that's damaged but may last for a while. I just found a Franklin 170 that has a dual arch and winch set up. The Franklin 170 has a 4-71 Detroit and it's suppose to run A Ok. It's been used for farming and has a hitch welded on it to pull a chopper. The price is $ 7.5 K and seems priced about right. However, the brakes don't work but the parts ($ 400.00) are still available for the transmission to correct this. The center pins are reported to be worn but not excessive wear. I've heard some good things about these old Franklins, there're slower but get the job done. The GM 53's & 71's are good on fuel. I've worked on the GM's as a diesel mechanic. The GM's are great engines, simple and not expensive to fix.

I called around and found out that Franklin made their own rears, etc. and the like on the later model Franklins. The good news, lot's of Franklins are being parted out and used parts are still available. 

I have to travel 200 miles (GA) to see the Franklin 170. I'm wondering if the seller of either of these skidders...may be a creative liar. You never know about a machine until you see it for yourself. It will cost me a whole day's time and $ 60 bucks + in gas. The J D 648 D is 240 miles from me and in the same (GA) direction. I could/ would look at both of the skidders on the same trip. I should/ could luck out with the Franklin 170 or the J D 648 D; it will be a long drive back if both of them are junk and just my dumb luck. 

I need a skidder for about a year or so and then I'll resale everything. If I don't have major break ($$$) down, then, I should be able to get most of my money back out and not lose a lot of bucks on my little logging venture. I say this hypothetically and with a smile. Does one's (best laid) plan's ever workout that well, it's not been the case with my long term luck (another closing smile).

chester_tree _farmah

They sound like good prices for those machines. Considering what the good  real old iron goes for nowadays.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Southside

Unless it was re-powered I think that Franklin would not have the Franklin custom built rear ends in it, that should be an older machine.  Mine is a '92 and has the Cummins in it with Eaton rears, I remember a crew that ran a number of them from early to mid '80's (if I remember correctly) and they had the Detroit engine in them.  On the surface that sounds like a good price for the Franklin, I have not had any issues getting Franklin parts for what that is worth. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

H60 Hawk Pilot

Thanks All, for the Last Info. on the Franklin 170.

I have deal over the phone to buy the Franklin 170 this coming week. I will call around (today) and get a truck scheduled-in for pick up. The year of this Franklin is believed to mid 80's.  S. Side Logger told me that I'd be Ok with finding parts for this older (80's) Franklin.   

Sunday, I talked to the man that actually owns the Franklin 170. He replaced the engine when he bought it, this was 3 years ago. He had the radiator re-done and replaced all the hyd. cyl's. on the blade & pivot cylinders.

I asked about the... no brakes issue. The machine has brakes when you fill the reservoir with fluid. I assume that he meant the brake reservoir that applies the braking action at the transmission. I've never been around a Franklin Skidder to know how the brakes work.

I was told by a Franklin parts man, that the brakes work thru the transmission. The transmission has a brake pack set up that cost's around $ 400.00 to replace. The Franklin does not have wheel type brakes... is that right or wrong ???

The only... other concern is a (just) noticeable vibration in the highest gear. This vibration could be from coming from the drive line (worn) universal or (?). The vibration is not noticeable in the 1st, 2nd gears... just in the top gear. I assume it's 4 forward and 2 reverse powershift transmission.

Has anyone had this type of traveling vibration in their Franklin in the highest gear ?  

Hopefully, this deal will go thru A Ok. If it does, I'll post pictures of my newest prize procession. All my stuff is from the 60's thru the 90's. I prefer older iron.. no computers and lower prices on parts. I can repair it without the high tech. guys coming out @ $ 85.00 (+) / hr., plus travel mileage for the truck. I have read about (here & elsewhere) the big bills that the guys are paying to maintain modern day equipment. I'd have chest pain to pay $ 1 K and higher service calls $$$$ for fixing computer glitches and the like.   

Thanks in Advance,

Avery     

Southside

You are correct there are no wheel type brakes on the 170's.  I have not had to do any work on my brakes so I can't say any more than that.  Forestry & Construction in Lynchburg, VA is very resourceful and fair with Franklin parts.
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

chester_tree _farmah

Most of the older machines have that brake setup. It works. Not as good as internal wet disc but u don't need to slip case cases to fix them.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

H60 Hawk Pilot

Hello All,

I started a new post in regard to the Franklin 170 I bought today, have questions about some things on the 170. 

Thanks for all the advice on the J D 648's. If tried to buy the J D 648 E. It sold before I could get there to look at it and haul it on the same day.

Avery

H60 Hawk Pilot

Hello All,

I drove to GA and looked over the Franklin 170 and bought it. I've never been around a skidder of any type. I was in for a real surprise. I've worked on 4WD loaders and expected the Franklin to turn about the same... I was wrong. It takes 40 acres to turn this thing around do to the locker axles. I need (1) tire replaced and bought a 75% tire from the seller for $ 400.00 and a good deal.

The Grapple was removed to pull a chopper but looks good. I was lucky enough to get the drive (disconnected) line for the Winch, it was removed to pull chopper.

The Franklin 170 operated A Ok with exception to the Vibration in 4th Gear. 1st thru 3rd felt good... just the 4th gear had a noticeable vibration. My 1st thought was worn drive line universals and will check this 1st when I get the F-170 home.

The Grapple (turn) Chain Drive Hyd. Motor had a small leak at the seal just below the sprocket.  Does anyone know of vendor/ supplier that can provide a seal kit for this grapple hyd. motor. 

Has anyone had a similar (vibration) problem with their Franklin or similar machine. I forgot to mention... it's a powershift transmission.

I took some pictures and will try to up load them tomorrow.   

Avery

H60 Hawk Pilot

I got messed up on trying to post this picture to my Recent Post about Questions ref. the Franklin 170.

Bear with me... I'm getting the picture posting procedure down... I have not posted any pictures for a long time.

Avery

bushmechanic

Hello Avery it's good to see you back here! The vibration you speak of is most likely the driveline that is out of phase. This happens a lot on skidders when the u-joint fails the mechanic or owner assembles the drive shafts incorrectly and then you get a shudder through the machine. The vibration gets worse the higher the speed and the more you try and turn it. Hope this helps.

mad murdock

Congratulations!  Just wait till you "walk" through for the first time sitting in that machine. It is a amazing feeling, much more sure of a feeling than being on a tractor in the woods.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

David-L

Looks like that old girl will pull some pine. Good luck, Always fun to get some new iron.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

H60 Hawk Pilot

I think this F-170 will suit my needs and has been well maintained.

Bush Mech.

I think you're correct about being out of phase on the Drive Line. I've worked on big trucks and other equipment and have run into out of phase drive shafts before. 

Also, he went thru this machine (3 yrs. ago) and had these drive lines re-done, along with hyd. cyl's. and new engine.  Yesterday, I asked how long have you had this Vibration. The answer, ever since we bought the machine but only noticeable in high gear. The transmission shifts good, no slippage when I pushed up against a tree with the blade.

I'm still surprised with the non-turning ability of the F-170. I had a big loader, a Yale 4000 (?) that had a 7.5 yard bucket. It weighed around 29 ton and was a big machine.  The Yale loader turned a little better than the F-170. I did not understand about the 2 locked-in axles would affect the steering... but I do now.  Also, I have a 4WD IHC hoe (3800) that turns on a dime compared to the F-170.  No F-170 complaints... just different to what I'm use to.

I've been watching a lot of old skidder video's on UTube. I was wondering (before) why the guy was jacking around in his turn. He was backing up and going thru a lot of effort to pull through a turn with a grapple load. I saw one of the wheels come up in one of the videos and did not understand why.. now I'm in getting the idea why.

Yesterday, when I was testing the F-170 and turning around... the man said... because of the locker rears... it won't turn like your use to.  So, I'm backing up and going back-in forth to turn around. He said, the best way is go thru the woods and make a big circle. So, we did and ran over some small trees in the process. All in all, I can't wait to hitch up to some logs and give it a whirl.           

Avery

Southside

Avery,

Couple of safety points when running that machine, especially in the conditions you have described.  First, if you run a run over a stump the rear wheel will rock over it a lot easier than the front wheel.  If you notice where the machine articulates it also floats (not the right word but I am sure somebody else will chime in) side to side as the axles are fixed to the frame.  Run the same stump over with the front wheel and you will definitely know you are going over something, just the way she rolls. 

Also, and this is a big one, if you hook onto something that won't budge and have just the slightest bit of turn in the machine it will climb up onto itself quite quickly, not sure how else to describe it but the outside front wheel will come off the ground and you will think you ran over a giant stump suddenly, its not long and you think she is going over.  I have never rolled mine, but it comes up fast and more than once I have gotten that "oh $***" feeling in my gut as a result.  Immediately let off the throttle and gently back up just a bit and she will go back down, then re-evaluate how to get that wood out of that spot.   The same thing can happen if you are going around a turn and the hitch fetches up hard. 

My machine has a switch on the dash to unlock the lockers, any chance you have that option but it not connected?

Jim
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

H60 Hawk Pilot

Southside Logger and All,

Thanks' for the Safety Tips. I had a lot of woods experience with dozers and farm tractors in the woods but this was 45 years ago. I'm a different guy today and sort of slow with health issues. I'm going to be very careful with these big white pine. I have plans to train my 19 YO son on straight drags to the sawmill landing. I don't want him hurt, nor myself in this deal. If any of the WP's... appear too tough to get out... I won't cut them.

I saw some of skidder's standing on their back legs (UTube) and going for a distance like this. They were dragging with their winch. The skidder were coming up a slight grade and wheel standing. Anyway, once he moved the load to flatter ground.. the nose came down. I would have dropped the load and winched it up the grade in a series of pulls without the wheel stand tricks.

Perhaps, I missed the point..  it was UTube Video and would be boring without the wheel stands.. now, I get it. 

H60 Hawk Pilot

H60 Hawk Pilot

Skidder Tire Direction for Best Traction:

I see the tire's reserved in direction on some of the skidders on UTube and Adds for Sale.

The Front Tires are Mounted with the V's Turning Forward >>>> .

The Rear Tires are Mounted with he V's Turning Backward <<<< .

I assume that the Rear Tires are Mounted Backward <<<< to help backing up...  is this the reason why ? 

I have seen farm tractors mounted with the V's Backwards and it wore the tires down quicker on the outside corners. I have to change the Rgt. Rear tire out due to tire shredding (12 inch spot). I was thinking about mounting all my tires in the (running) forward >>>> direction.

I will bring the left forward Tire (50 %) back to match up along side the 75% tire on the left rear axle that I just bought. The nose (when changed around) tires will be around 30% .. when all the tire changes are made.     

So, should I change the Rear Tires around.. with the V's >>>> turning forward or not ?!? 

beenthere

QuoteSo, should I change the Rear Tires around.. with the V's >>>> turning forward or not ?!? 

Depends on which direction you want the most traction. Sometimes reversed to get traction going in reverse.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chester_tree _farmah

Most often the tries end up in the wrong direction because the shop mounting the tire did not know which direction the rim rolled to move forward and they guessed wrong. Typically the skidder is not brought in for a tire. It does no harm really.

Those Franklin axle articulate in the rear don't they? The front is fixed? I think they were the only one. I am surprised about the lack turn ability. Going forward? With no twitch? I know the locked rears do suck going backwards for turning.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Maine logger88

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Maine logger88

One thing that helps with a skidder that's locked full time is too start to turn a little before you actually want to turn as they will crab walk some , tire chains on all 4 helps too. As far as the direction of the tires I like to run them in the correct direction as you want the traction pulling.  Plus I like the looks of it better all facing forward. As chester tf said they probably just ended up that way when they got changed also as he said I don't believe it hurts anything
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Thank You Sponsors!