iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

auction finds

Started by hackberry jake, August 18, 2014, 01:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I went to an auction saturday and bought a few things.

Roughly 1,000 board feet of walnut. Half of it is tongue and grooved into 3" wide flooring and the other half is band sawn rough lumber. All of it is dry.

A 20" powermatic model 81 band saw that needs some tlc. The cast iron table came with it.

a powermatic model 160 planer. I think all it needs is a fresh set of blades and some rust removal.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Larry

Cool 8) 8)

I really like my 20" Delta bandsaw and I know the Powermatic is a heavier/higher quality machine.  I bet you will like it.

Does the planer have a segmented infeed roller?

Pea green is the best flavor of Powermatic.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

hackberry jake

The planer has a solid infeed roller. I think im going to save up for a byrd head for it. The bandsaw was $80!

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Bruno of NH

Jake
Nice score on lumber and tools .
Old tools are the best .
More pics when you have them tuned up .
Jim Bruno of nh
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

drobertson

You where at the right place at the right time!  nice find!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

clww

Looks like you might want to get a shorter trailer next time. ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

goose63

Why owhy cant I find an auction like that???????
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

StimW

Check the planer blades to see if they are reverse-able.
Some items with tool steel blades are.
OR you might be able to get them sharpened.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

ozarkgem

I bought carbide blades for my PM 16" planer. I think they were `140 bucks. I would like to have a sprial head for mine. These are sweet planers. Not much chatter.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

redprospector

I love auctions when everyone has an idea of what things are worth. Around here, most people get caught up in the competition of winning an item that they wind up paying more than new retail for older stuff.
The last auction I went to I tried to buy some 2 3/8 oil field pipe. It was going for $2 a stick more than I could buy it for at the pipe yard in the same town. I left the auction, went to the pipe yard, loaded up and came home. I did get a good deal on a skid steer post hole auger at that auction though.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

SPIKER

Quote from: redprospector on August 18, 2014, 10:26:09 PM.....
The last auction I went to I tried to buy some 2 3/8 oil field pipe. It was going for $2 a stick more than I could buy it for at the pipe yard in the same town. I left the auction, went to the pipe yard, loaded up and came home. I did get a good deal on a skid steer post hole auger at that auction though.

Should have loaded up and headed back to auction and sold it lol...
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

mesquite buckeye

Better watch out or you will become a restored power tool dealer. ;D :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

justallan1

Great score, Jake. When you start running out of room for it all I'd be willing to get that cnc engraver out of the way for you. ;D
Goose, I think you have the same problem in ND as we have here. No where for folks to spend money, so they get crazy at auctions. I've almost given up on them, ALMOST!

Allan

shinnlinger

I have your bandsaw in my shop.  It is a great unit.  Good score!
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Al_Smith

You gotta know the crowd and the auctioneer .There's a little thing called "shills ", plants in the crowd to raise the prices .Stick them a few times,they'll back off .

That said looks to me like you did allright .

WmFritz

Quote from: justallan1 on August 21, 2014, 06:09:48 PM
Great score, Jake. When you start running out of room for it all I'd be willing to get that cnc engraver out of the way for you. ;D

And I can find a spot in the corner of my shop to store your jointer!

No charge either.  :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

hackberry jake

Quote from: WmFritz on August 21, 2014, 09:35:17 PM
Quote from: justallan1 on August 21, 2014, 06:09:48 PM

And I can find a spot in the corner of my shop to store your jointer!

No charge either.  :D

You guys are just too good to me!

easymoney

around here scrap dealers will run things out of site especially if they see copper or aluminum.
i was at an auction a few years ago and was bidding on a big air compressor. every time i would bid someone would raise it $25.00 i finally gave up and quit bidding no one else would raise it. one of the people working for the auctioneer cam around an tried to get me to bid one more time. he assured me i would get it if i would. i will always believe that he was running it up on me and i dropped out dropping it on them.

sawguy21

The major players here, Ritchie Bros and Michener-Allen, frown on 'shills' and sellers running up the bid. Anyone caught gets run off and black balled, they want to keep it clean and do a good job.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

You have to know how to "read" the crowd .A lot of times if you jump the bid a bunch many will back off of it .

I dead give away of a shill if they try and sell you an item you were bidding on for slightly more or in some cases the same as they bid .Stick them with it  ;D

Ron Scott

One never knows what they will find at an auction, especially if they go often enough.
~Ron

hackberry jake

I have been working on the planer all weekend. Its finally making shavings!

Here is a picture comparing it to the dewalt... 80 lbs vs 1,240 lbs.

This is what took the most time

Bearing replacement, set new knives in the cutterhead, clean and grease pretty much everything, go through adjustment procedure, and shes eating  digin_2

Bill Gaiche

Great, I bet that you can't feed her enough to make her happy. bg

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I admire your knowledge Hack! Very good job.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hackberry jake

I wish I would've done a Magicman style write up on replacing those bearings. I never think about stuff like that til the job is done. I thought I was going to break my three jaw puller taking the old bearings off of the cutterhead. I put the new bearings in the oven at 200 degrees (dont tell the wife) and I put the cutterhead in the shop freezer. They slid right on  8)

It took me the better part of 4hours to go through the adjustment procedure. It was the first time I had used a dial indicator to set planer blades, bed rollers, feed rollers, chip breaker, pressure bar, etc. I am very impressed with it's performance. Now I want to reset the knives in the jointer with the dial indicator.

Thank You Sponsors!