iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Power for wood processor

Started by Lazy logger, August 18, 2014, 09:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazy logger

I am thinking of building a processor capable of 22 inch logs. would a two cyl. deutz engine be enough to power it? I think it's around 30 hp.
I know the voices in my head aren't real,but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!

leonz

Its too small, unless you are repowering a
Chomper Simplex 14 firewood processor.

Hilltop366

Power will dictate speed, it will be enough power if set up with the correct size hydraulic pumps and/or motors and if you are happy with the speed it will produce.

SPD748

I agree with power controlling speed. If you'll be happy with a processor that will produce less than 1 cord per hour, I'd say 30 hp will run it. I'd imagine that you would have to set it up so that only one function at a time would be operational. I looked into building a PTO unit with 45 hp available with the understanding that it might produce 1 cord per hour. I found a nice power unit that makes 75+ hp which changed the game slightly :)

Hey, maybe we can learn together on a mutual path to a processor!

-lee

Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Ivan49

Is that Deutz an air cooled one. If it is I would be concerned with it getting hot from the dust clogging things up

Lazy logger

Thanks  guy's, I am now looking for something else to power it. I have a mf 235 I think it's around 40hp at the pto. Maybe I Will go with that. For me speed is an issue after all why build one of its not faster than doing it by hand. Lee I welcome the opportunity to learn about this project with you and any one else that wants to join in. Sounds like an adventure. How far along are you?
I know the voices in my head aren't real,but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!

SPD748

I'm still drawing. When I got started, I never imagined there were so many variables to consider. So far, I've ironed out my power source and hydraulic requirement (I think) :) I spent a few minutes on the phone today tracking down a pump adapter/plate for my engine. I think the next step will be to order the saw motor, pumps and valves.

-lee

Serving Since 2002

Corley5

My 14-12 Block Buster is powered by a GX 670 Honda 24hp.  Plenty of power.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SPD748

Quote from: Corley5 on August 18, 2014, 09:11:59 PM
My 14-12 Block Buster is powered by a GX 670 Honda 24hp.  Plenty of power.

What's the real world output of the 14-12?

-lee

Serving Since 2002

Corley5

Variable depending on the wood being processed.  Small stuff .75 cord an hour.  Larger straight wood 2 cords.  Standard cords not face cords  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SPD748

Quote from: Corley5 on August 18, 2014, 09:33:54 PM
Variable depending on the wood being processed.  Small stuff .75 cord an hour.  Larger straight wood 2 cords.  Standard cords not face cords  ;) ;D

Nice! I'd certainly be happy with that.

-lee

Serving Since 2002

North River Energy

I'd think you could figure the number of teeth in the cut for your maximum capacity, and then determine the horsepower requirement for whatever cutoff saw you choose, be it a repurposed slasher or something bought 'off the rack' like a Danzco.
Then add a bonus factor based on number of splitter wings and ram diameter.

For the sake of easy comparison:

MODEL 2025XP FIREWOOD PROCESSOR   
Production Rating:    4+ cords per hour
Engine:    John Deere Diesel /turbo 80hp, (68 kw) Liquid Cooled

Max Log Diameter:    22" (56 cm)

If you want consistent cycle time up to your max capacity, you need some oomph. 
80hp is probably way more than you need for your situation, but that number represents the 'high side' of power required to do that amount of work in 1hr.

blackfoot griz

My machine runs off a 38 hp Kohler running @ 2400 rpm. It can easily do 2 full cords an hour.  I find that I spend a lot more time messing with the split stuff than I do running the machine. :-\

Hilltop366

I would be more interested in saving my back than increasing my speed (just cutting for my own needs), I find blocking up the wood on the ground to be very hard on my lower back.

If I was blocking and splitting all my wood in one place I would build a blocking station with a hinge to mount the saw on and a large tray for the rounds to roll down with a decent splitter on the other end of the tray. I think doing one task at a time would be more efficient than block then split for each time for a lot less money using most of the same things I already have, however I get my wood from several different areas so I would need something more portable.

Lazy logger

Here is the setup I have. If you look way back there is a rack that I can put a couple of logs on at a time and cut them, then split them with the splitter next to it. It's a good system but I think a processor would be better in the long run.

SPD748

Quote from: Hilltop366 on August 19, 2014, 01:27:27 PM
I would be more interested in saving my back than increasing my speed (just cutting for my own needs), I find blocking up the wood on the ground to be very hard on my lower back.

That's exactly what started my interest in designing and building a processor. If I can sell a little wood, great. If not, the time I'll get to spend with my Dad will more than cover the cost of the build!

-lee

Serving Since 2002

glassman_48

My twister firewood processor has a 38 hp kohler motor and its rated at 2 pulp cords per hour.  If the wood is crappy and crooked its about 1.5 pulp cords per hour.  I have a triple pump, live log deck, attached conveyor, hydraulic wedge.  It is just powerful enough for my machine, if I was using it every day and trying to run a bunch of wood through a week, I would have chosen a 50 hp motor.  My size works perfect for me because I only process part time and do mobile processing occasionally. 

Thank You Sponsors!