iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bar Burr

Started by Pete and Jesse, August 17, 2014, 09:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete and Jesse

Put a new bar on my saw.  A burr developed on on only one side of the bar.  The chain is about half filed away. Why would this only occur on one side of the bar?

John Mc

Is your chain sharpened evenly, or are the left hand cutters different than the right (different length, angles or sharpness)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

clww

I would wonder if it is cutting straight, or not. If one side is sharper, I have found it will pull to one side when cutting. Really noticeable if you are cutting a log and have to saw it on both sides. I flip my bar over after every fourth fill-up. Improper chain tension could also be a cause.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

JohnG28

Do you mean on one side left to right or top to bottom?  If the latter, which is what I'm thinking you mean, then lack of flipping the bar over could cause this. Where in CNY are you?
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Pete and Jesse

I have had burrs on saw bars before and file them down as necessary.
This time it appeared only on the left side of the bar.  I filed it down and turned the bar over.
I spend a lot of time working on the chain, keeping it sharp, making sure the teeth are consistent in sharpness, size and angle.

Chain tension:  I generally keep the chain tension so it will snap back into place when pulled on and released. 

A logger I was speaking to yesterday suggested that since I was using this chain on the bar I replaced that the drive links on the chain may be worn. 

JohnG28

OK, I was picturing your situation wrong. I would say to let the chain be a little looser,  want to me able to pull it around the bar by hand and I like it to "coast" a little when I let it go. No sag, no drag.  ;) I'm just outside Utica.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Pete and Jesse

Thanks, I will loosen the tension a little and see what happens.

LeeB

And I thought we was gonna talk about haircuts.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SawTroll

I wonder what sort of bar this is about. It it is a laminated bar, and specially a cheap one, I guss it could be that the side laminates aren't equally wide, and maybe not equally hard?

On a  compact bar, it is of course possible that the slot is offset to one side?
Information collector.

Pete and Jesse

The bar is an 18" Husqvarna Farm Tough laminated bar.

SawTroll

Quote from: Pete and Jesse on August 19, 2014, 11:19:25 AM
The bar is an 18" Husqvarna Farm Tough laminated bar.

I don't really know what exactly that is, as they aren't sold here - but they aren't expensive....

Keep an eye on rail hight (that they stay equally high, and file off the burrs/"wire edges" then they appear.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!