iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cooks duel set tooth setter

Started by backwoods sawyer, August 16, 2014, 01:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backwoods sawyer

We ran a couple boxes of Cooks saws on the mill and when we went to set the teeth we were getting readings of 24 one side and 29 on the other with the pushers backed off. Pulled a fresh saw out of the box and got the same readings. used a section of old saw clamped high, got 0 on both dials.

We were a bit pressed for time and needed to get the whole batch of 18 sharpened so we set one saw at 29-29 (saw is .050) and skipped setting the teeth on the rest of the saws. That one saw was pulled off after one cut and we got about 1/3 the run time on the second run out of the rest of the saws.

This weekend we will be sharpening saws again while MM is off fishing or something because he uses resharp ::) so wanted to see if I am missing something on zeroing the duel tooth setter before down setting a batch of saws.

How do you guys set the setter up?
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Chuck White

I have a Cat Claw setter (single) and I use the piece of flat steel that was provided with the sharpener!

Put it in the clamp and move it into the clamped position without the pusher touching it, then adjust the readout dial to ZERO.

I assume you'd have to do that twice since yours is a dual-tooth setter!

Once the setter is zero'd, put a blade in the setter and adjust the pusher to your desired set, I adjust mine to set between .028 & .030".

Lots of times a tooth will spring back, requiring adjustment of the pusher, if that's your case, just remember a little adjustment can make a big difference in the set of the blade!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

slider

Backwoods sawyer I back off on both anvils and zero to what ever thickness blade I am sharpening.Then reset the anvils.I do this about every so often to be sure things are not out of whack.
al glenn

NMFP

The cooks setter is good but remember that you really aren't exactly setting them but rather springing the steel out to a certain point and releasing.  If there is any spring in the steel or if you need to push the teeth to add more set, you might need to run the band more than one time. 

Watch the wear on the setting anvils on the cooks as they aren't hardened steel and the setting angles on the end will wear down and not allow as much set.   No issue, just remember to check the adjustment and make sure your still setting where you want to.

ely

Can't say for sure on the dual but on my single setter I have to make sure I am pushing only the tip of the tooth. If I get too low it doesn't set properly.  That being said I only set about every 3rd sharpening.

NMFP

All commercially manufactured setters I know of are the same in that, you set the bottom of the gullet even with the top of the holding plates.  Basically, the only thing above the holding plates will be the tooth.  If you set the teeth from the base of the tooth, your set will be ridiculously high and if you set too high, your set will be very low.  Each setter is a little different but, they all do the same thing.  Provide clearance for the band body!  Same as swaging a circular saw on a circular mill.

barbender

NMFP, what brand setters do you run in your shop? A setter is in my future, and I'm trying to figure which one to go with.
Too many irons in the fire

NMFP

Where I do most of my setting in my shop, I have a Suffolk dual tooth setter and I have a cooks there as well for specific bands.  In my basement I have another cooks setter and another Suffolk setter that I have modified to set 3/8 - 3/4" tooth space bands.  They all have benefits and disadvantages but from my opinion, I have better control over set with the Suffolk setter than I do with the cooks.  They are both descent setters, just have a preference of Suffolk.

barbender

I am considering the suffolk's as well.

backwoods sawyer

Found the issue, I was using a .055 section of saw to check for Zero. When I used a .050 saw it was not clamping firmly adjusted the setter so it had a firm grip on the saw and little Jo went to town setting teeth to 27, and double checking each saw, and I have been playing catch up on the grinder all day ::)
We set then sharpened 20 .050 saws, then changing back over to .055 saws.
Got a full schedule for sawing so wanted to get good batch of saws ready while we have the time.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

bandmiller2

NMFP, I was told the Suffolk setter was made by Cooks are they the same.?? I have found different bands spring back differently and require small adjustments. I've found as long as both sides are within several thousands they work fine. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

redbeard

Good info here! Thanks its very helpful. One Question can you rely on the raker tooth for finding zero?
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

NMFP

I may be wrong but I do not think the Suffolk setter is made by cooks.  Completely different animal, both do the same job but I find that the Suffolk is much more exact than the cooks but with some modification, the cooks is descent.  I was told and another person told me as well that the Suffolk setter was engineered by a retired ford engineer.  Don't know if that's true or not but its very simple and easy to use.

I would not recommend using the straight tooth to find zero.  Sometimes, on a setter you can miss a set and accidentally hit the straight tooth and set it in the incorrect direction or sometimes, if you hit metal, it can slightly bend all of the teeth in one direction.

I am actually designing a machine to down set all bands that have hit metal.  Usually when people send bands to me, I have them write on them if they hit metal so I can easily pick them out but then again, when I clean them, I find all the metal damage anyways.  Sometimes it adds set to the bands and sometimes it eliminates it.  For the bands that it adds them to, we usually down set each tooth and then reset so that we don't have a straggler out there making heavy marks on a board or cant.

Probably giving too much information but I have lots more tricks I use to make the bands better than new.  If you keep following my posts, maybe you will learn some more! :)

Chuck White

Frank, When I set my bands, I set between .028 & .030, a couple of thousandths is good, I've tried a little wider and it shows up on the lumber, but 2 thousandths is good!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

NMFP, I wonder if you placed two flat surface wheels with an adjustable gap on the feed side of your setter to reign in wild set teeth. If adjusted right the normally set teeth would just spring back to where they were. Frank C.

bandmiller2

Chuck, I rarely set much over .022 per side, sometimes I have problems dodging around knots wouldn't hurt to try a little more set. Frank C.

slider

I also have the cooks and a suffolk setters.I use the cooks most of the time because it"s faster and has dial indicators for monitoring the set.I like the cooks and you can get a deal if you watch for them to go on sale but in my opinion the suffolk dual tooth is just a little better built.I think the new models come with the indicators .They are so close in quality and cooks being a sponsor here If I were buying one now it would be a cooks.
al glenn

ely

I wouldn't worry too much about giving away sharpening info. It takes a different person to want to do that for a living. I do all my own sharpening because I am tight...I see it as a Ness carry evil.

NMFP

The cooks and Suffolk machines are descent, but like I said, the cooks has more moving parts and more things that need to be adjusted.  The cooks is just a tad faster but I find that I can set just as good, if not better with the Suffolk setter. 

As far as cam wheels, that's exactly what I am doing to push in some of the teeth that have set too far for one reason or the other.  just haven't had as much time to work on it as I would like. 

I am thinking about a design that would set the tooth with an anvil and push it against a pre determined set such as .025" set each side.  A way to effectively set them almost exactly each time but haven't figured out the system yet as I would need some more time researching spring in the steel

More to follow someday as I have more time on that one.

barbender

What about something like Cook's band roller for taking set out? I'verk never had much concern about blade cupping, but I thought it might work good for taking kinks out of bands I've damaged. A blade de-kinker, de-setter machine :)

NMFP

Yeah, you can build something simple like that too, my only concern is straitening them too far and breaking the teeth.  There are all sorts of possibilities for sure!

backwoods sawyer

on the cooks you already have two seperate Adjustable clamping points happening at the same time (anvels/Guadges) simply add a third for down setting.

Anyone have pictures of the two machines?

slider

here is your comparison 

al glenn

Thank You Sponsors!