iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woodmizer LT70 tripping power feed breaker

Started by BillSandusky, August 15, 2014, 08:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillSandusky

I own a 2005 LT70 and just up graded it to the accuset 2 last month.  since the up grade it has started to trip the breaker on the power feed. One thing that the accuset 2 does is run the up/down and feed off of one 70 amp breaker so when operating both the up/down and feed at the same time it tends to be too much for the 70amp breaker.....so...I was told (don't do that) so I don't. But in my last 4 or 5 jobs I've noticed after running for a little while if I run the feed too fast when cutting (Half speed) the breaker trips OR the accuset 2 displays ( voltage error ) any thoughts on this? I've talk to woodmizer about it and they aren't really sure what is causing it other than maybe the power distribution solenoid might be bad.

NMFP

Check to make sure the circuit breaker is not cracked.  If so, the resistance will heat up the breaker and cause it to trip.  I see this a lot on electrical conveyors, power feeds and hydraulic pump circuit breakers.  I also had the same thing happen on my mill as you describe. 

Magicman

I had a Debarker breaker to go bad.  Reset, but it would not hold.  A new one fixed the problem.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

Mine reads voltage error (original accuset) if I have a mechanical drag on the head, causing high amp draw (like a binding cam follower). Don't burn up your H-bridge :o
Too many irons in the fire

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: barbender on August 15, 2014, 09:54:22 PM
Mine reads voltage error (original accuset) if I have a mechanical drag on the head, causing high amp draw (like a binding cam follower). Don't burn up your H-bridge :o
That was my first thought as well other then the 2 eliminates the H-bridge ;) a big plus, but don't fry a circet either$$$ Check for a lead that could be shorting intermitantly as well as the condition of the brushes in the feed motor.
You can set the accuset 2 in dianostic mode and see what the draw on the feed motor is and compare it with the up down motor, they should be close to the same, you can get an under load reading when raising the head and free spinning when lowering the sawhead.

One last thing oil the rails, you can see the change if you have build up on the rails.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on August 15, 2014, 11:08:57 PM
Quote from: barbender on August 15, 2014, 09:54:22 PM
That was my first thought as well other then the 2 eliminates the H-bridge ;) a big plus, but don't fry a circet either$$$ Check for a lead that could be shorting intermitantly as well as the condition of the brushes in the feed motor.
You can set the accuset 2 in dianostic mode and see what the draw on the feed motor is and compare it with the up down motor, they should be close to the same, you can get an under load reading when raising the head and free spinning when lowering the sawhead.

One last thing oil the rails, you can see the change if you have build up on the rails, but crawl under there and make sure the rollers are all turning.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Beavertooth

I have a 2007 LT70 with remote station I don't know what kind of hydraulic switches your mill has but if the same as mine you can have one of the hydraulic switches loose it's spring back and be hanging down just enough sometimes for your hydraulic pumps to be running when on the contact strips. If it is the loader arms switch you will not know this is happening if your loader arms are all the way down when sawing and it will cause all kind of problems including the same as you are having. You can also get 1 bad lift assist cylinder and it will quit working when trying to go up and back at the same time and will show current error. But the cylinder should not be causing your problem since it does it when going forward alone. Just keep that in mind for future reference. But the hydraulic switch is definitely a possibility I have been there done that.
                                     Hope you find the problem soon.
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

BillSandusky

Quote from: BillSandusky on August 15, 2014, 08:22:09 PM
I own a 2005 LT70 and just up graded it to the accuset 2 last month.  since the up grade it has started to trip the breaker on the power feed. One thing that the accuset 2 does is run the up/down and feed off of one 70 amp breaker so when operating both the up/down and feed at the same time it tends to be too much for the 70amp breaker.....so...I was told (don't do that) so I don't. But in my last 4 or 5 jobs I've noticed after running for a little while if I run the feed too fast when cutting (Half speed) the breaker trips OR the accuset 2 displays ( voltage error ) any thoughts on this? I've talk to woodmizer about it and they aren't really sure what is causing it other than maybe the power distribution solenoid might be bad.

This morning I checked the voltage for the up/down and feed motors using the diagnostic program on the accuset  the voltage for the feed when going into the forward direction was approx 20-30 at the cutting speed I cut at and the up direction was around 80. I've checked all of the roller cams and they are free and turning smooth. The rail is clean. I ran it back and forth and up and down for a few minutes and it didn't kick the breaker but it wasn't kicking the breaker unless I was cutting at the time which I wasn't this morning.....anyway as I was returning the head to it's stow position for travel, and as the head hit the seated position I got that ( voltage ) reading on the screen again, so I raised the head and tried it again and getting the same (voltage) reading again. I did this 4-5 times and then I raised the head and placed a block of wood under the head to see if it would do it at a higher elevation and it did. I opened the control box and checked all the wiring and connections to see if anything was loose and couldn't find anything. Yesterday while I was cutting and the breaker kept tripping I changed the debarker breaker out with the power feed breaker to see if that would solve the problem but it didn't. The breakers are new so I don't think that would be the problem but even so I think I'll order a new 70amp breaker and see.....am I missing anything else or is there something else I should check?

Magicman

I just noticed that these were your first posts.  Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

You really need a clamp on DC ammeter to determine what is pulling too much current.  It will prove to be a very worthwhile investment.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

Take a look inside both motors, worn brushes, bad bearings could be the culprit, also fill both gear boxes feed has a fill hole, up down fill it full, Take the load off the gear box by setting the head down and check for bad bearings in the gear box, also chech all your top rollers while you have the head propped up so you can spin them by hand, change any that are rough turning.

drobertson

Welcome to the forum, and I have seen this before on a 3ph set up, 25hp lt-70, the hydraulics and power feed would often trip the breaker, not a bang bang kinda thing but couple times a day maybe, it was the relays in this case.  I'm sure you will get this one solved soon enough.  Take notes, with dates for sure. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

stavebuyer

You might want to look closely at the bearing inside the drive sprocket. Also we have had the terminals work loose on the drive motor cause a circuit breaker to trip intermittently.

MartyParsons

Hello,
Has this been resolved? I did read the post a few times but it never went any further.
Thanks
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

sparks

If the power feed and the up down are both run off the h-bridge you can not go up/dn or fwd/rev at the same time. One function at a time is all you can do.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Dave Shepard

That doesn't sound too convenient. I use the up/down and fwd/rev at the same time every time I use my LT40.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 20, 2014, 01:12:28 PM
That doesn't sound too convenient. I use the up/down and fwd/rev at the same time every time I use my LT40.

...on just about every cut.  I would consider that a design flaw.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

customsawyer

I have a 2005 LT70 with the accuset 2 and go up/down forward/reverse at the same time on a regular bases. So I must not have them both going through the h-bridge.
How difficult is it to push the saw head by hand?
I would check the bearings in the idler pulleys that the feed chain rides on. If that isn't the problem then there is two bearings in side the bracket that the power feed motor is mounted on that can go. You can't see these two bearings so you will have to take the motor and gear box off to get to them.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

MartyParsons

Quote4 or 5 jobs I've noticed after running for a little while if I run the feed too fast when cutting (Half speed) the breaker trips OR the accuset 2 displays ( voltage error ) any thoughts on this? I've talk to woodmizer about it and they aren't really sure what is causing it other than maybe the power distribution solenoid might be bad.
Hello,
I would guess from this statement that one or more of the cam bearings are getting tight. So when the power feed is loaded ( going into the log or cut) it is putting more pressure on one of the bearings causing higher amp draw. You can remove the weight off the lower bearings by lowering the saw head onto a post or pole in the location of the rest pin hole. Then lower the saw head a little this will tilt the saw head. You should be able to turn the lower bearings to check the resistance.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

backwoods sawyer

Today little Jo called me over. The feed would kick out a couple times per cut while milling large incense cedar making wide cuts.
The breaker was not tripping.
The electrical checked out so I finish up the log and checked all the bearings. When I did as Marty out lined and set the head down on  log-rite Pee Vee. I found the forward side bearing was bad.
(Use a wedge to hold carriage in place before unbolting)

Changed the bearing solved the problem.

backwoods sawyer

Today little Jo called me over. The feed would kick out a couple times per cut while milling large incense cedar making wide cuts. The breaker was not tripping.
The electrical checked out so I finish up the log and checked all the bearings. When I did as Marty out lined and set the head down on  log-rite Pee Vee. I found the forward side bearing was bad.
(Use a wedge to hold carriage in place before unbolting)

Changed the bearing solved the problem.

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

A few weeks ago I had an upper cam follower to seize while I was sawing.  Kicked the power feed breaker.  The strange thing is they were all replaced last year.  Anyway, 15 minutes later I was back sawing, and that included me getting a drink of water.  :)

Beavertooth

I have the H bridge on my 70 and I go up/down and back and forth at the same time all the time with no problem. I also have a real good battery. AGM from woodmizer. I don't run anything thru the old circuit board. I retro fitted with h-bridge after original board burnt out.
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

UpInATree

Maybe Wood-Mizer was saying you cannot go Up and Down....or Forward and Backward at the same time?  I also raise the head while reversing and drop the head while approaching the next cut.  I have a 2010 LT70, no breaker tripping for me yet (knock on wood)
Wood-mizer LT70HD D55 Wireless, Wood-Mizer ED-26, A whole bunch of Stihls. Alaskan Mill 74",  Bucket Truck, Log Truck, Chippers, trailers, dump trucks,   Kubota M9540, L3010D and B7510. Cord King.   Learning Timberframing under Jim Rogers

backwoods sawyer

Went thru checked all bearings again, the large bearings were running a bit dry as the grease was drying out. Cleaned the old grease out and packed with a good grade of grease. The cam followers are not repackable but are greaseable if installed with the fittings.

Been having issues with pitch build up on the top rail, so adjusted the wipers and added a spong on the rear of the roller housing to keep ATF on the top rail.

will add a small resevore with drip for the ATF to keep spong damp as it starts to dry out after about 2,000 bft.

Thank You Sponsors!