iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

used husky 359, or new echo cs590

Started by Wild Man Jack, August 15, 2014, 02:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild Man Jack

Hi guys, just joined up today tho I have been reading this site for a while. Awesome to finally post. Hey so I'm looking to buy a better saw, don't have a lot of cash, but  I found a used husky 359 with only 10 hours on it, was only used for chainsaw safety training, looks brand new in the pics and comes with a 16"bar with 3 brand new extra chains and a case.  Price is 400 for everything, option 2 is a brand new echo timberwolf with either a 20" or 18" blade bought from a local dealer for 399, on sale. This saw was on sale last year for 499, but the dealer was saying echo wants to make a name for themselves so they just want to get saws out there. To put things in perspective on pricing in my local, a new husky 555 they had with an 18" bar (which by all rights looked like a better saw to me) was 710. In researching the husky 359 looks like hp is 3.9, echo I think is 3.8.....what do you guys think?  Echo has 5 year warranty as well.

7sleeper

If you can get the 359 in the condition you mention then I would be highly tempted to take that. But only if the dealer throws in some kind of reduced warrenty(like 1/2 year or something like that). I see it as the better saw of the two you list.

The Echo is no doubt a good saw but needs some "love" to bring it to it's full potential.

Then again I donot own either saw so we will have to wait for someone with real hands on experience to comment here.

celliott

I'd personally get the 359. I have a 357xp (very similar saw, bit more power) and I love it. I also don't hesitate to buy a used saw because I do all my own maintenance and repairs. If you aren't comfortable wrenching on a saw yourself, probably best to buy new. I have heard the echo 590 is a very good saw, but out of the two, I'd take the 359 due to my experience with similar huskys.
My 357xp rocks with a 16" 3\8 B+C, 359 ought to do good too  :) And can handle a 20" 3\8 bar without much trouble if you're so inclined.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

ladylake

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

21incher

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Wild Man Jack. I am hoping to be a Echo 590 owner soon. I just put my Stihl MS290 with 5 bars and 10 chains, and a poulan on craigslist and when they are gone I will be heading to my local Echo dealer ( sold the poulan in a hour and have some responses for the Stihl allready). Seems like we need to get Echo to be a forum sponsor.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

Not that it matters,but I only run a 18 inch bar on my 372 husky. Chains are cheaper and a little quicker to file.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Wild Man Jack

Cool, thanks for the replies everyone. I have to call back the guy selling the husky tomorrow, he promised it to a guy but if he ends up not wanting it for whatever reason or something else happens he said come down and have a look. I'm not overly optimistic it will still be there but I'm for sure going to pull the trigger on the timberwolf on monday if it's gone, and prob pick it up Friday after work. If money was no object I'd buy that husqvarna 555, felt lighter, you could see into the casing where the motor is isolated on springs...what a sweet saw, even if that timberwolf was 500 I'd prob drop the extra 150 on a stihl ms261 new from a different dealer, but for 400 I can't look past that timberwolf. I'll post tomorrow how it goes with that husky as well as my impressions of the echo. I've cut a lot of wood with an ms362 wih a 16" bar and used an ms361 with a 20" also. If the echo keeps up wih the 361 from what I remember of it, then I'll think I got a steal. 362 was its own beast. With the bar buried the saw torques up from an idle like nothing. Current saw now is a poulan someone gave me a few years ago after I cut a couple/few chords with a swede saw. Actually. At least I'm going in with a real appreciation for it. Life in the bush is good.

Wild Man Jack

Oh and by swede saw I mean big bow saw, not a high quality Swedish built chainsaw ;)

Andyshine77

I own a CS-590, owned a MS362 and have ran and worked on a few 357/359's. All of them are fine saws.

The Echo is a well built product, just as good as the other brands IMHO. The only real downside to the Echo cs690, is the weight and overall size. Out of the box the echo will be a little stronger than a 359 or the 361, and about par with the ms362. Air filtration will be about the the same, which is pretty darn good for a firewood saw. The spring AV offered on modern saws is quite effective. Vibration is really no longer much of an issue.

The $399 price on the Echo is standard, your dealer was just trying to make you think you were getting a special deal. The price of $710 on the 555 is around $100 more than MSRP. A reasonable dealer will be able to sell a 555 well under MSRP. In fact, the 562xp normally sells for less than $700 if you know where to look..

I'm sure you'd be happy with any of the saws listed. However the Echo is the best bang for the the buck out there right now, when talking about a new saw.     
Andre.

Wild Man Jack

Well, looks like I'm going to put my money down on the echo on monday. As far as the prices, the 399 in Canada is extra special. Everything is more money up here, last fall they were on sale for 499, the msrp is 550, and echo and stihl and husqvarna send out flyers to the dealers so the set the sales etc and the dealers are all the same price as the box stores for the models the box stores have. For instance right now I have a husky flyer open that I picked up when I was there 3 days ago, a 455 rancher is 499.99 consistent with our big box store canadian tire, and consistent with the other dealers. 550xp is 699.99, 372xp is 999.99, and a stihl ms261 is 650....It always drove me nuts reading the US prices on these forums lol. And it doesn't stop at chainsaws it's everything. I always even tend to order stuff at the American cabelas and just pick it up at the border 100 km away because just driving there the trip pays for itself if I fill up with American gas and time the trip to have 1/4 tank or less. 30 gallons of fuel is about 40 dollars cheaper give or take.

SawTroll

Have you picked up the saws, to check how the feel, weight and handling compares?

If not, it might change your mind if you did....
Information collector.

Andyshine77

Quote from: Wild Man Jack on August 16, 2014, 10:29:48 AM
Well, looks like I'm going to put my money down on the echo on monday. As far as the prices, the 399 in Canada is extra special. Everything is more money up here, last fall they were on sale for 499, the msrp is 550, and echo and stihl and husqvarna send out flyers to the dealers so the set the sales etc and the dealers are all the same price as the box stores for the models the box stores have. For instance right now I have a husky flyer open that I picked up when I was there 3 days ago, a 455 rancher is 499.99 consistent with our big box store canadian tire, and consistent with the other dealers. 550xp is 699.99, 372xp is 999.99, and a stihl ms261 is 650....It always drove me nuts reading the US prices on these forums lol. And it doesn't stop at chainsaws it's everything. I always even tend to order stuff at the American cabelas and just pick it up at the border 100 km away because just driving there the trip pays for itself if I fill up with American gas and time the trip to have 1/4 tank or less. 30 gallons of fuel is about 40 dollars cheaper give or take.

Sorry didn't see you were from Canada. I hear Stihl chainsaws are actually less expensive than Husky's in Canada, it's normally the opposite here in the U.S.
Andre.

Andyshine77

Niko the Echo isn't design to be a dedicated limb saw, although mine balances nicely with a 20" b&c. It was designed to be an all around firewood saw, and it is just that. A high quality, easy starting, powerful and reliable firewood saw.
Andre.

Wild Man Jack

Ya up here the stihls are less, usually by about 50 dollars for equivalent models. And the echo was noticeably the heaviest saw but I'm pretty large myself so I don't think I'll have much of a problem with it. That used husky sold this morning so I'm picking up the echo probably with the 20" bar. I'm pretty excited, put in nearly a year of research waiting for this day! Lol sure glad I didn't buy the echo last year or in the spring when the were on sale for 100 dollars more, I considered it but then thought for 650 instead of 500 just get the 50 cc pro stihl ms261. But this new deal on the echo changes everything. Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll keep you posted on my impressions of the echo. I'll prob start cutting next weekend with it.

ladylake

The Echo CS590 is aimed at taking away sale from Huskys 455 Rancher and Stihls MS291 but runs real close to their pro saws.   Why anyone would buy the 455 or 291 besides blind brand loyalty.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SawTroll

Quote from: ladylake on August 17, 2014, 08:11:46 AM

The Echo CS590 is aimed at taking away sale from Huskys 455 Rancher and Stihls MS291 but runs real close to their pro saws.   Why anyone would buy the 455 or 291 besides blind brand loyalty.   Steve

Yes, I have no trouble at all with that - but that wasn't the topic here.  ;)

Edit: I just found out that the CS590 now is sold here (but it isn't really cheap), and that the power spec is 3.0 kW (4.1 hp) vs. the 3.3 kW (4.5 hp) of the CS620.
Information collector.

7sleeper

Quote from: SawTroll on August 17, 2014, 10:41:01 AM
Quote from: ladylake on August 17, 2014, 08:11:46 AM

Yes, I have no trouble at all with that - but that wasn't the topic here.  ;)

Edit: I just found out that the CS590 now is sold here (but it isn't really cheap), and that the power spec is 3.0 kW (4.1 hp) vs. the 3.3 kW (4.5 hp) of the CS620.
I just saw. And look they still have the CS-1201 in the lineup! Didn't expect to see that one.  :D

Btw they seem to have a funny mix of 60cc saws (590, 600S, 605, 610, 620)  :o like they just can't deside what to present!  :D

ladylake

Your all giving Shindaiwa way to much credit.    I think the 600p came out quite a while before the Shindaiwa merger, also the older CS510, 520 and 530 saws have more power than the new Shindaiwa based CS500p but the CS500p is the lightest 50cc made now.  I own and run both series.  Steve

SawTroll

Quote from: ladylake on August 17, 2014, 06:04:00 PM
Your all giving Shindaiwa way to much credit.    I think the 600p came out quite a while before the Shindaiwa merger, also the older CS510, 520 and 530 saws have more power than the new Shindaiwa based CS500p but the CS500p is the lightest 50cc made now.  I own and run both series.  Steve

The current Echo 50cc saw is the 510 here (very different from the earlier 510), and according to specs (yes, they post power specs here) both power and weight is decent, but not stellar. I don't know what the truth is, but the specs are 2.6 kW (3.5 hp) and 5.1 kg (11.2 lbs).

I am aware I may have given Shindaiwa too much credit for the current improvement in the Echo line, as Shinny never really was a great brand either - specs were much "better" than actual performance, according to independant tests, and ergonomics not very good (KWF).
What remains a fact, is that Echo engine design has improved a lot lately - from bad to decent. No more clamshell engines in alledgedly pro saws is one of the changes.

So far this only concerns the latest 50 and 60cc saws, as far as I know. It still isn't top notch though.
Information collector.

Andyshine77

Shindaiwa focused more on blowers and trimmers from what I have seen. Shindaiwa has always impressed with the quality of their products. The cylinder castings are about the best I've seen.     
Andre.

ladylake

Quote from: SawTroll on August 17, 2014, 07:50:43 PM
Quote from: ladylake on August 17, 2014, 06:04:00 PM

The current Echo 50cc saw is the 510 here (very different from the earlier 510), and according to specs (yes, they post power specs here) both power and weight is decent, but not stellar. I don't know what the truth is, but the specs are 2.6 kW (3.5 hp) and 5.1 kg (11.2 lbs).

I am aware I may have given Shindaiwa too much credit for the current improvement in the Echo line, as Shinny never really was a great brand either - specs were much "better" than actual performance, according to independant tests, and ergonomics not very good (KWF).
What remains a fact, is that Echo engine design has improved a lot lately - from bad to decent. No more clamshell engines in alledgedly pro saws is one of the changes.

So far this only concerns the latest 50 and 60cc saws, as far as I know. It still isn't top notch though.

Over here it's the CS500p and listed at 10.6#, mine weighs 14# 9 oz on a good balance scale ready to cut which is the lightest 50cc saw I've weighed beside my 488 Shindaiwa which is gutless compared to the 50 cc Echo saws. I can believe the 3.5 hp on the CS500p as mine doesn't pull near as well as the older Echo 50cc saws.  The CS500p would be a great saw to port.   Steve

101mph

I have a 359 E-Tech and I couldn't be happier with it. Like the one you looked at, I bought mine used and it's been the best investment I've made yet.

Hope you have good luck with the Echo.

Mooseherder

This thread has been cleaned up and sanitized from the personal attacks, the responses to the personal attacks and copying and pasting from other forums to here.  If your posts have been removed it falls in one of the mentioned categories.  H 2 H, all of your posts have been removed.  Keep it up and see what happens.

Thank You Sponsors!