iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First time sawing Beech

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, August 14, 2014, 09:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Never milled a Beech before and wasn't sure what I had when it was dropped off in the yard.
After my pic was identified in the "Ask the Forester" section......I sawed the logs this morning.

I put 2 big 12 footers on the forks of the backhoe at once and the rear end come off the ground.  :D :D :D
I'm like...."This Beech is heavy!".  :o :o :o.......and full of water.
We just don't have much of this stuff around here......but it sure turned some nice 1-1/8" boards.
I'll finish up in the morning and have a buyer waiting to air dry it.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

I have only sawed Beech a couple of times, and as you found out, it is beautiful.

This was my first Beech.  About a 30" butt. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

A Beech with a 30" butt?  :D :D :D :D :D Got my Goat.  :D

Your logs Magic or a customers? What did he do with the lumber?

mikeb1079

will someone please tell poston that he behaves like an attractive young lady so that i don't have to see that goat barkin at me?   :D :D

i've always wanted to saw beech, nice stuff there goaty.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: mikeb1079 on August 14, 2014, 10:08:46 PM
will someone please tell poston that he behaves like an attractive young lady so that i don't have to see that goat barkin at me?   :D :D

smiley_thumbsup

Magicman

Customer's logs, and I have no idea what the lumber was used for.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

That was just a little beech David, wait till you get into a big one.  ;)

(Quarter saw it.....  :))

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 14, 2014, 10:19:27 PM
Quote from: mikeb1079 on August 14, 2014, 10:08:46 PM

smiley_thumbsup

Gotta be a little more specific. Could you name an attractive young lady the David resembles....? ???

David, should I offer a suggestion?  ;) Perhaps a very recognizable cosmetics model?  ;D

Magicman

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on August 14, 2014, 10:44:21 PM
That was just a little beech David, wait till you get into a big one.  ;)  (Quarter saw it.....  :)
Or the son of one.  I did QS the largest one that I sawed.  Good stuff.   :)

Peter Drouin

I make a lot of grade stakes with it, Works as well as oak . And we have a lot of it in NH ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on August 14, 2014, 11:14:21 PM
I make a lot of grade stakes with it, Works as well as oak . And we have a lot of it in NH ;D

It looks like Birch to me.....but boy its got the juice in it!

hackberry jake

Some beech somewhere at postons house
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

loggah

Beech is as heavy as any wood we have here in N.H.,I know of  one trailer load quite a while back weighed in at over 130,000 !!!! ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

bandmiller2

Beech is very good fire wood but you gotah split it, left with the bark on it will rot before it dries. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

NMFP

Not easy to air dry and will dry fairly well with control weight and proper air flow.

Poston...why not grade saw it or were you looking to just get wide boards? 

rooster 58

I likes Beech for firewood. It makes good railroad ties and blocking. I also saw it in a very, very, VERY upscale house, getting acclimated for use as flooring, in The Plains, Va. They wanted something durable because they had very large dogs running-doggy

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: NMFP on August 15, 2014, 08:11:45 AM
Not easy to air dry and will dry fairly well with control weight and proper air flow.

Poston...why not grade saw it or were you looking to just get wide boards?

Actually I have a customer / woodworker who buys lumber like....Beech, Birch, Magnolia, Elm, etc. thats out of the ordinary for our area.
I called him and he said he'd take it a $1.25. He said saw in into 1-1/8" thick. This tree came in from one of my Tree Service guys. I sawed it per customers order, stacked and stickered it and got back on my custom sawing Pine orders.
These odd logs for my area....I call my weekend money.  :D Its a fast dollar and have customers waiting on them.

mesquite buckeye

Man, that ugly old goat is worse than the supersquirrel. :o :( >:( ;D

Please put a beautiful young woman there so we can recover from the traumatic experience. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

barbender

I'm surprised the old goat didn't chew the tree service guys out for dropping off logs without identifying the species. You know, sometimes he doesn't know whose they are, what kind they are... ::) He needs the details, or he gets a bit riled  ;D
Too many irons in the fire

backwoods sawyer

Was the ol goat out eating all the signs he just put?
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

mikeb1079

the reason why he's so easily riled is that he's been out eating tin cans again.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

pasbuild

We have a lot of curly beech in this area ( for now ) here's a  table top using curly Beech

: https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10524/BEECH_062.JPG
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

POSTON WIDEHEAD

pasbuild.....very nice table!

Magicman

I love wood that talks back to you.   smiley_thumbsup

Thank You Sponsors!