iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine Logs

Started by Bruno of NH, August 13, 2014, 02:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Got some pine logs from a logger up the road from my shop today .
Paid $75.00 bucks for 13 logs .
They are left over on the landing .
The last truck to the pine mill in Springfield NH didnt have room .
Pics of my first load .

Load 2 pics

I should get some nice clear lumber when sawn .
I havent sawn any pine yet .
Got it all unloaded before the hard rain started .
Jim Bruno of NH
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

hackberry jake

Those look like some mighty fine logs. What species of pine? They look funny compared to what we have around here
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Dave Shepard

That's Eastern White Pine. It's the predominant pine species in most of New England. There's some plantation, or red pine here and there. I've never found any use for red pine. A nice healthy red pine will rot before you have a chance to shut the chainsaw off. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Deese

food1 popcorn_smiley food1 popcorn_smiley

Looking forward to the progress. Nice looking straight logs.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Bruno of NH

I use the pine for interior/exterior trim , wall paneling , furniture and beams for special projects .
I might cut some into bar or table slabs .
Jim Bruno of NH
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

Its nice to get the logs loaded at the landing with a log loader .
Unloading at the shop with a trailer with fenders is not fun .
I pull them off the back with nylon chokers .
If i knew i was going to get a mill i would have got a deck over trailer.
Jim Bruno of NH

Piston

Is that a Hudson trailer? 

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Bruno of NH

Piston
Yes it's a hudson trailer
A 5 ton
Got a great deal on it
It's been good so far .
Jim

Piston

I have a 4 ton, it's an excellent trailer. I wish mine was 6' longer though  :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

thecfarm

Good find on the logs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Looks like a nice batch of W/Pine.

You'll enjoy sawing them.

Look fresh enough so you won't have to use a lot of lube.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ljmathias

You were lucky someone else loaded them for you.  I still haven't figured an efficient way of collecting logs- have to haul my front end loader there on the trailer, load the trailer and pull it home, but wait! My front end loader is back at the loading site!  So I chain a log to a tree and try to drive out from under- works sometimes, sometimes not, then things get interesting.  I either need two trailers or two front end loaders, a big crane tied off between two trees near the mill.  Either way, retired means no more big purchases, so I got to get a new trailer, I guess.  Life is great!

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

pineywoods

LJ, do a search on DanG Fladeadheader loader. Cheap, simple and you don't need the tractor to load the logs...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

ljmathias

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that.  Need to get my son or son in law to weld something up for me that will go in two of the trailer fence post holes (??) so I can take them out when I need to load the FEL or one of the tractors on to haul.  Problem with trying to make a trailer do everything is the very reason I have three tractors- one with backhoe and FEL, one with finish mower attached, and a big brute with bush hog.  That way I'm not spending all my time swapping out attachments, but can just jump on and go do work.

Hate to admit it, but that's also why I have two trucks... plus a few cars.  Never hurts to have a spare when you're running old paid-with-cash vehicles.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Magicman

Lj, you surely are a breath of fresh air on here.  I smiled big time when I saw your post.   ;D   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ljmathias

Thanks, MM, just happy to still be alive and kicking.  Well, mostly kicking- doctor's appointment in the morning to see if two weeks healing is enough after having my chest split open.  Probably not, but I'm going stir crazy not being able to do any real work...

Lj

thecfarm

Real work will come in time. Just sit back and enjoy the FF for a while. Let the Doctor's work heal up. Those logs will wait for ya. You need a small trailer and small grapple.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Holmes

lj great to hear from you :)  I hope all goes well for you.
Think like a farmer.

WDH

Good to see you again, lj. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ljmathias

Thanks, guys, good to be back.  Been rethinking retirement and what to do with myself when and if I ever grow up.  More and more I seem to be moving to sawmilling, lumber prep and woodworking.  Problem is, with ADHD, I tend to jump around a lot from task to task which is fine if you're working on lots of stuff at the same time.  Problem with that is it takes up lots of room- desk in process over hear, new clamp rack over there, grandkid projects on the new kid-level bench I made over there... and now I'm running out of room.  Oh, well, that's why there's always the next barn or workshop to build.  At least I've got plenty of posts, beams, joists, siding ready and dry.  Guess I'll start that next after whatever is on my honey-do list...

Lj

Bill Gaiche

Good to hear from you Lj. Haven't heard much from you since I saw you at the chicken crispen. bg

ljmathias

Thanks, Bill; didn't mean to steal this thread but it is good being back- open heart surgery (and not waking up dead afterward) puts the wind back in your sails and makes the need to make sawdust an ache you can't satisfy (at least for 5 more weeks the doctor says).  Has anyone scheduled the next crispin? Be happy to have it on our place but we southern mississippi...  Of course, that puts us closer to the WM dealer and maybe we could prevail upon him to do a demo or two here?  I still remember how fun it was to watch the demo at MagicMan's place.

Lj

GDinMaine

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 13, 2014, 02:51:35 PM
A nice healthy red pine will rot before you have a chance to shut the chainsaw off. :D

Now. That is funny. :D :D :D
...and I also learned something.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

BCsaw

Sorry, but I broke out laughing when lj mentioned the ADHD thing. Both me and my son have ADHD. If I don't have 26 things on the go at the same, something is wrong!! :D :D :D

Makes life challenging sometimes trying to complete a project start to finish.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Dave Shepard

ADHD sucks. I have the attention span of a
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!