iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When do you know you no loger need your mill?

Started by opticsguy, August 13, 2014, 10:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

I have the proverbial situation of having more wood than I can shake a stick at.
I see 50 more trees I want to cut for the special types of wood I like to work with, but no more room for more wood, not sure if I will even use all the wood I now have.

My situation;  Cutting wood as a hobbiest only, not into selling. Most of my wood is used for specialty projects in my hobbies.  The only reason now for cutting more wood is to build a shed to put my wood inside,  where does it all end?

So, when is it time to let go?  Or options?
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Chuck White

I never actually "needed" my mill, I just knew I wanted one!

I have set a time that my mill will go up for sale, and that is in 2018!

I will turn 70 in Jan of 2019 and elect not to run the mill after reaching 70, God willing!

Even though I would have some problems with the mill once in a while, I still love running it!

Opticsguy, it looks like your only choice is to either expand or quit sawing for a while and use up some of what you have stored!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

ddcuning

I haven't even got my mill running yet and already have more wood than I need. My solution has been to start giving away the wood that I have to make room for new. Problem solved! ;D

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

Deese

It's Therapy For Me.

This is me before sawing    smiley_dizzy smiley_dizzy smiley_dizzy smiley_dizzy

This is me afterwards   smiley_bandana smiley_bandana smiley_bandana smiley_bandana smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_hollywood_cool
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

YellowHammer

Lots of good, rewarding uses for wood and your time if you don't want to sell.
Donations or trades to local woodworking clubs, Scouting groups, kids with projects, church groups, etc. I try to help these good causes when I can.
For example, I have a "birdhouse" pile of  cedar lumber where people who build bluebird houses (bluebird habitat restoration is a big thing around here) can come pick it up for free.  It's a trivial amount of wood to me, but it always makes me feel good when peoples'  eyes light up when I tell them "no charge."
I also donate wood to the local Army Woodshop where they use the lumber to build things for veterans.
Having a sawmill and lumber is a very valuable asset and skill set to use to help others even if only occasionally.  I sell wood, no doubt about it, I'm in business to make money, but some of my most rewarding "sawmill" memories are when I did something for free or to help somebody in need. Maybe something to think about.
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

rooster 58

Optics,
     Send all of your sawn lumber to me. Then you will need to keep your mill and be happy ;D

Magicman

I am 71 and you will have to ask someone older than I am.  I'll be sawing a Poplar job tomorrow.   ;D

Sounds like you are oversawing your needs.  Maybe the best storage facility for the extra lumber is in the trees.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Quote from: YellowHammer on August 13, 2014, 12:54:34 PM
Lots of good, rewarding uses for wood and your time if you don't want to sell.
Donations or trades to local woodworking clubs, Scouting groups, kids with projects, church groups, etc. I try to help these good causes when I can.
For example, I have a "birdhouse" pile of  cedar lumber where people who build bluebird houses (bluebird habitat restoration is a big thing around here) can come pick it up for free.  It's a trivial amount of wood to me, but it always makes me feel good when peoples'  eyes light up when I tell them "no charge."
I also donate wood to the local Army Woodshop where they use the lumber to build things for veterans.

Having a sawmill and lumber is a very valuable asset and skill set to use to help others even if only occasionally.  I sell wood, no doubt about it, I'm in business to make money, but some of my most rewarding "sawmill" memories are when I did something for free or to help somebody in need. Maybe something to think about.
YH

Kudos on you YH.

I just donated a small stack of air dried White Ash to a promoter for the Wounded Warrior Program's "Ice Hockey" team.  They'll use the Ash to make some of the short specialized hockey sticks.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

terrifictimbersllc

Buying a sawmill because you like wood, is sort of like buying a restaurant because you like food.  ::) ::) ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

thecfarm

YellowHammer,you are a good man. You are so good,I would almost eat some grits with ya.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on August 13, 2014, 06:24:36 PM
Buying a sawmill because you like wood, is sort of like buying a restaurant because you like food.  ::) ::) ::)

It could be worse. Have you seen the cost of some of those bass boats people buy? :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 13, 2014, 06:27:31 PM

It could be worse. Have you seen the cost of some of those bass boats people buy? :D
No, are they up there with a diesel hydraulic LT-40?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Dave Shepard

You mean, is a Diesel LT40 up there with a bass boat? :D My point was, if one can afford a mill as a hobby, it's no worse than having a boat, motorcycle, or whatever other toy that is big bucks.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Magicman on August 13, 2014, 01:18:03 PM
I am 71 and you will have to ask someone older than I am.  I'll be sawing a Poplar job tomorrow.   ;D

Sounds like you are oversawing your needs.  Maybe the best storage facility for the extra lumber is in the trees.
Maybe make a storage facility for the mill, and get it out when you need it again?

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 13, 2014, 06:37:08 PM
You mean, is a Diesel LT40 up there with a bass boat? :D My point was, if one can afford a mill as a hobby, it's no worse than having a boat, motorcycle, or whatever other toy that is big bucks.
Agreed, and the mill probably uses less fuel.

Ianab

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on August 13, 2014, 06:32:55 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 13, 2014, 06:27:31 PM

No, are they up there with a diesel hydraulic LT-40?

Buddy's boat is ~$70,000 new, and the model he wants is more like $120k.

So yeah, a sawmill could be considered a "cheap" toy, and would burn less fuel.  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Piston

You had it right in your first post...YOU answered YOUR OWN question!! 

Quote from: opticsguy on August 13, 2014, 10:44:45 AM
The only reason now for cutting more wood is to build a shed to put my wood inside,  where does it all end?

That's right, there ya go!  Once you build a shed and get all your wood inside, then you can start milling more wood.  It's really very simple, you just keep building more sheds, to store your wood in. 

Eventually, you'll have so many sheds, you won't have enough lumber to fill them.  That right there my friend, is the point at which you know, you have reached the "equalization of wood".  This is when the ration of available wood to mill, equals the available space to store it. 

Once you reach that point, post back up here, and ask us what to do next... 
Glad I could help  ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

thecfarm

"equalization of wood"   :D   Maybe that should be in the FF dictionary.   :D

glassman_48

opticsguy,
How about a solar kiln?  I bet you would get a lot of local woodworkers coming out of the woods so to speak to get some kiln dried stuff.

bandmiller2

The minute you sell your mill you will need more wood for something. Build a good dry shed for the mill, it will never be worth less. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Peter Drouin

Quote from: thecfarm on August 13, 2014, 06:25:36 PM
YellowHammer,you are a good man. You are so good,I would almost eat some grits with ya.

:o :o :o :o :o Don't lose your head, Have a hamburger :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

sawdusty1

When the tax man comes to measure the square footage of all your wood sheds is when you'll know you have too many sheds.
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

ljmathias

Yup, happened to me last year and now the tax bill has gone up.  Oh, well, best answer is to build a shop I guess, at least that's worth the extra the county will get.  Going to try timberframing, see if I can get it right this time.

lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on August 13, 2014, 08:48:54 PM

Peter...I said it a long time ago....its just a matter of time.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 13, 2014, 09:51:35 PM

Peter...I said it a long time ago....its just a matter of time.  ;D
Ray will never open the box :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

drobertson

Only option I see is to start selling it, You can quit when you want, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

pineywoods

YH has the right idea ideas. Use your extra wood to help someone. It will open doors you never dreamed of. Then you will never "don't need" your mill.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

hackberry jake

Around here, if a building is open on one side, then you pay lower taxes. Also, if it has poles that seem structural it costs less because it is a pole building. I have actually considered building a few storage sheds for lumber and just building it up to call it my retirement. Fire would scare the jeebies outta me if I had that much stored up though.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

Here, if you put 4 poles in the ground and put a piece of tin roofing across it for your child to wait under before catching the school bus, it will be taxed as a shed.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Grits and hamburgers, that's some fine vittles.  Got my mouth watering, it makes me want to drive down to the the Waffle House. ;D
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Tom L

would it be possible to donate your extra boards to a non profit. if you can find one that uses wood.
then use the donation as a tax exemption at the end of the year?

there has to be some way to unload wood without having to go thru the problems of selling it, and still get some return for your effort.

hackberry jake

I didnt plan on selling wood either at first. But once you start selling it and see that you now have more money to pursue your woodworking hobby, you wont regret it.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

logboy

So, when is it time to let go? 

When your wife says "If you dont sell that mill, I'm going to divorce you and take the house, your truck, your guns and hunting gear, your boat and fishing gear, and all your woodworking tools."
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: logboy on August 15, 2014, 12:15:39 PM

So, when is it time to let go? 

When your wife says "If you dont sell that mill, I'm going to divorce you and take the house, your truck, your guns and hunting gear, your boat and fishing gear, and all your woodworking tools."
Well if that was the case I would not be sawing today, and she did ::) Some times you just got to cut the ol boat anchor free and find a new motor ;)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

thecfarm

My wife would not be that mean,but if I had a wife that was that mean,I would say I will miss ya.  :D

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Actually a while back my wife asked about the opposite question.  She asked; "what are we going to do when you can not saw anymore"?  My answer was that we surely would not be able to do all of the things that we do now.  Maybe by then, it will not matter.   Until then, I'll be sawing.   ;D

MrWizard

Ok New guy here, be gentle,

Your issue about not selling some of your milled lumber is personal and I respect that.  But to cut down and mill trees just to mill them seems unnecessary.  I get that some projects might call for a certain species of wood. Then I would make sure that that project uses all the lumber or you make multiples of the project and donate them to causes in your area.
If building storage for the milled lumber works for you using the stores you have then I think its a great idea.  Nothing worse then letting all that good wood go to waste.
  Closing down your mill for a while as you work through your stock pile is a solid idea as well.
Again as a novice just venturing into milling for my wood working, I am hoping to start with deadwood fallen trees. Table slabs and furniture, and trying to see all the different uses I will find for even a single log, seems like a lot.  Best wishes.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: MrWizard on August 15, 2014, 05:34:15 PM

But to cut down and mill trees just to mill them seems unnecessary.

Mr. Wizard....Welcome my friend. I agree with you to a certain point. I have always told people with yard trees, cities with trees, farmers with trees and basically anybody that has trees.......there comes a time in a trees life when it needs to came down. For what ever reason, if a tree is allowed to stand to long....its health and the safety of the surrounding area becomes an issue.
If you have a mill.....at least saw these trees down, even if you don't have a plan for the lumber, make an attempt at saving the lumber rather than let the trees just die and fall. :)
But on the other hand....I don't agree with just feeling trees that are not mature enough just for the sake of milling and not having a plan.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

36 coupe

Quote from: Chuck White on August 13, 2014, 11:31:43 AM
I never actually "needed" my mill, I just knew I wanted one!

I have set a time that my mill will go up for sale, and that is in 2018!

I will turn 70 in Jan of 2019 and elect not to run the mill after reaching 70, God willing!

Even though I would have some problems with the mill once in a while, I still love running it!
I ll quit when I am dead......
Opticsguy, it looks like your only choice is to either expand or quit sawing for a while and use up some of what you have stored!

tmarch

When I first talked the mistress of finance into letting me buy a mill it was "well ok, but really what are you gonna do with a sawmill"?  After some projects for her and her craft business it was "nice idea getting a sawmill".  Now after 2 weeks of cutting beetle kill pine and stacking them in the yard yesterday it was "are you sure you don't need a bigger mill". 
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Magicman

Hello MrWizard, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)

ljmathias

Not to get too serious but here's a thought that's been bugging me: I may have to slow down soon.  Scares the crap out of me as I've never been one to just sit around all day.  Oh, I take breaks to rest and catch up on the news and now the forum again, but mostly I'm a doer- and with 50 acres plus old vehicles to maintain, along with part-time teaching, I keep busy enough.  What's scary is that I might not have the energy I had before after I recover fully to build my dream woodworking shop and use if productively.  I've always maintained energy by looking forward to the next build- house for son's family, house for daughter's family, bigger barn and now a shop.
Just to clarify: seven years ago I had my aortic valve replaced due to bicuspid inherited defect.  Once I healed from the surgery, I was back at it full steam.  Conflicting reports on whether I wore that valve out being so active or it just died a natural death, but they generally last 10-15 years.  Now I have a new one and I'm worried I'll wear it out too soon if I work as hard as I like to.  Scary thought.
Oh, well, back to the good news: doc says no problem if he has to do another one in 15 years or so.  I thought he was joking but he said, no, you have the body of a 50 year old, which isn't bad for someone in their late thirties (just kidding).
Last thought: pray for all of us older members and keep your own situation in perspective.  Aging is not the same as getting old, usually...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Magicman

Thanks Lon for your uplifting perspective.  Your words of wisdom are "earned".

Now just to add a bit of humor and a glimpse of our Lon and his ability to enjoy.

How about just lying and enjoying the smell of freshly mowed grass.  Or maybe it was the crisped chickin.   :D

thecfarm

I would do what ever I felt like and have that valve replaced in 15 years when it wears out.  ;D   Good luck to ya.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: thecfarm on August 16, 2014, 03:39:03 PM
I would do what ever I felt like and have that valve replaced in 15 years when it wears out.  ;D   Good luck to ya.
sounds like you are working on a sawmill ;D "JUST" change it out every few years. ;) not sure that valve is an off the shelf part, may have to special order :P

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

36 coupe

Im 76 and still sawing.The oldest customer to buy a Thomas Mill was 95.He had been running a lobster boat but that made his children worry so he sold the boat and bought a saw mil.I knew a fellow who built a rotary mill when he was 85.Ill be back in the woods cutting fire wood and a few logs for my mill as soon a the weather cools off.

ljmathias

Thanks, all, but hey, MagicMan, no fair taking a picture like that out of context... but darned if I can remember what it is and where it was taken- your infamous chicken charcoaling way back when?

Speaking of which, should we start a thread for Southern Chapter get together this fall sometime?

Lj

Magicman

Yup, the very first one, and your belly was full of "Crisped Chickin".   food6

Pat and I are taking a Pacific NW Travels adventure next month, so I doubt that we would be able to host one this year, but surely next year.....maybe Springtime.   :)

Thank You Sponsors!