iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS 250

Started by Hitchcock Woods, August 12, 2014, 05:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hitchcock Woods

My buddy is looking to get a chainsaw for home use on around 3 acres.  He is looking at buying from a local guy, in Greenville, SC, a MS 250 that he says was used 5 times in 5 months for $200. I told him i thought that was a pretty good deal if the saw wasn't dogged too much.  What are yall's thoughts?
Chain Saws         Vehicles            LogSplitter
MS 192TC          6100D x2     TimberWolf TW3
MS 391               L2800
MS 441              HPX Gator
346XP           Honda4x4 Rancher
372XP              4x4 Frontier
HT 101 x2
MS 311

isawlogs

I have one and it is a great little home owner saw. I carry that saw on the bike on the farm as it is light and will cut what ever needs be cut along the fence. You can't get much now a days for 200$, he is basicaly getting a new saw, I don't think it is broken in yet with only five tanks gone through it. If that same deal came up for me, I would buy the saw ( after trying it out first )  ;)  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

msjdgman

I've got a 250 thats well over 10 years old now.  Great little saw for limbing and smaller work.  It goes to the woods with me every time I go just because it's so light, and has been dependable period.  Yes, I only cut for firewood, and it is up to that task. 
Stihl MS250, MS290, MS391
JD 80EV

SawTroll

Someone said it is a great model - but it is very far from that. At least make sure you avoid any variant with a "C" after 250 in the model designation!

It is a cheaply made "homeowner" class saw, with quite excessive vibes for its size,  and a bad air filtration system. A pain to work on as well - but still a servicable model for the intended purpose.
Its best feature is the light weigh.
Information collector.

isawlogs

I said it was a great home owner saw , and still beleive it to be so.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

celliott

Quote from: SawTroll on August 13, 2014, 05:07:26 PM
with quite excessive vibes for its size,  and a bad air filtration system.
Its best feature is the light weigh.

I ran an MS250 for a fellow doing some brush\small tree work. His saw. I have to agree with these points. It is a light saw, but the vibes bothered my hands even wearing padded leather gloves. Excess vibration fatigues you faster as well. I did not like the saw and would not buy one solely for the AV issue.
I'm sure they work fine for many people, any may for your friend, but it's not for me.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

WmFritz

I don't notice the vibration in my saw.
I use it for limbing and bucking firewood. I work that saw hard and its held up.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

HolmenTree

I did some treework for a customer a while back who brought out his MS250 for me to give him a few pointers on. He had a hard time starting it seeing it had no decomp, so I showed him the ground technique with foot on the rear handle.
Also found his fuel was bad as he mentioned he gets 2 years out of a gallon jug. So I steered him to the Stihl premixed fuel that come in the quart cans that the dealers sell now. Years of shelf life after opening and very high quality .
I was impressed with that little part time saw when I tried it out in a log, it had a new Stihl .325 chisel chain on and it cut very nice.
Great saw , more then enough quality for the amount of wood he cuts, good value too.
Don't remember any bad vibration.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

H 2 H

MS 250 are great for what there made for

Working on them is NOT a problem

With a few simple mood's they will run with most 50 cc saws

With anything that has Stihl on it Saw Troll will say the worst about it (just look at the history of his post about Stihl products)

I have a couple MS 250 and they have been ran hard and are still running just fine

Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

SawTroll

Quote from: H 2 H on August 14, 2014, 01:06:56 AM....

With anything that has Stihl on it Saw Troll will say the worst about it (just look at the history of his post about Stihl products)

Not true at all, but I do dislike a lot of Stihl products for good reasons, and like others - as I do with all brands that count.

On the flip side, you have a notorious history of saying "great" about any Stihl model, regardless how bad it really is. I believe most reasonably regular members on the forums you post on have notised that.

I dislike many models from all brands that I know, but you only notise it when it is about a Stihl model.

There is nothing "great" about any plastic cased Stihl chainsaws - they are cheaply made, even though the price doesn't always reflect that.
Information collector.

celliott

I'm not one to get into Stihl VS Husky. I have mostly Huskies, but certainly respect that both manufacturers have good and bad models. There is definitely some Stihl's I would like to add to my fleet.
Maybe the MS250 I ran had worn out AV mounts. Don't know. It's the only one I've ran and I wasn't impressed with the vibration. YMMV  ;)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

SawTroll

:)

No surprices here!
Information collector.

joe_indi

On the 250  it is better for bar lengths over 16" to use  low profile chains such as the 63 Picco, or the newer 63 PS. good cutting speed with low vibes. If you use .325 chain on the 250 stick to the semi chisel RMC chain.

beenthere

I sure don't notice any bad vibration (was going to say any vibration) with my MS250. I really like it for a second saw that I go to quite often. Starts, runs, cuts, and handles 19" bar very well. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

7sleeper

What I always find funny with the discussions including ST is that the words low quality, cheaply made etc. come up. But to be honest I have never seen one of these low quality machines worn out! NEVER! And you see them quite often here on the bay and otherwhere. Those that have them and use them have never complained about them dying from regular use. I mean obviously all these guys are idiots because they never noticed that the machine in their hand is already dead...
Well I guess a lot of things made today out of plastic must be cheaply made and low quality, like the firearms invented by that austrian guy, who revolutionized the firearm market. I mean they must really be junk! Wonder why all those idiotic users and goverment agencies are buying that stuff.
Well as usual, if you are unhappy with the material and design involved, it sure makes it easy to fit into the world where only black and white exist....

This sure is, as usual, an annoying discussion.

CTYank

I, too, find it difficult to categorize a 250 as "great" except in terms of the marketing that has them selling locally for $350. Stihl's power rating of 3 hp is ludicrous. Bar studs that thread into plastic are not even funny.

A friend was steered into buying one some years back by buddies he characterized as "stihl-heads". While we were clearing some storm damage at a couple of parks, he tried my GZ4000 RedMax and commented about its AV and power well beyond the 250; later he tried my PP4218 and again commented about the same- AV and power relative to the 250. That one cost $94 delivered.

Compared to many other competitor's saws, the 250 is mediocre. You should be able to get a decent price for a used one, because of the name. For the same price, you can gat a Dolmar PS-421. No comparison, IMHO.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

rasman57

While I do not have any other small homeowner saw experience other than a cheap Homelite they replaced, my  025, then 250 (16)have been up to anything I tackled.  I have found that the old rule about sharp chains is a must to let the saw work and keep going.  I would not hesitate to recommend it for what you have described.  My buddy and I bought the 250's at the same time a few years ago and he has done lots of Oak....some bigger than he ought to with that size saw and it is still in top shape.   No complaints for the money.

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

workman

Its definitely a great saw for occasional use. I love how light it is, and easy to maneuver. Ive never really had problems with mine running out of power, but then again if Im cutting something big I usually just use a bigger saw.  Mine has been pretty crazy reliable too.  I run a 16" bar on mine, cant remember off hand what chain tho...probably still the factory ones?

They used to be a great saw at their price point, but now that they went up in price Im not as sure anymore.
MS192T, MS660, MS250, HT131

hawkins111

It would be great if someone made a replacement engine for 210, 230, 250 similar to the one made for 290, 310, 390. To make it compatible it would have to cost around $125.00. That would make the 210, 230, 250 saw very easy to fix if something went wrong with the motor.

Tom

joe_indi

Quote from: hawkins111 on September 09, 2014, 08:56:59 PM
It would be great if someone made a replacement engine for 210, 230, 250 similar to the one made for 290, 310, 390. To make it compatible it would have to cost around $125.00. That would make the 210, 230, 250 saw very easy to fix if something went wrong with the motor.

Tom

Ahem,
Chinese solutions do exist at 25% of the cost. And not too bad.
http://www.vastfine.com/class.asp?/62-664.html

Thank You Sponsors!