iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sthil Parts are hard to get

Started by JSNH, August 12, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSNH

A dealer that stocks parts that a dream. I am on my third weekend without the part I need. I broke down and ordered an after market part. I can get that by Wed. while the real part is on back order without a projected arrival date. I went for broke and canceled my sthil part order. I am betting the aftermarket one will work.
In the mean time I have been beating up my kids echo. Boy does that start and run nice but it is too small.
Going from a MS 361 to a Echo CS-370 is a big drop. At least I am doing firewood right now so I can pick the little stuff.

beenthere

What part on the MS361 isn't available?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JSNH

It's the Ignition Coil. It is back ordered from Sthil. I should see how an aftermarket one works soon.

It's pretty bad when knock off parts are avaliable. That tell me the manufacture is dropping the ball on part sales.

dougand3

Quote from: JSNH on September 02, 2014, 08:12:17 AM
It's the Ignition Coil. It is back ordered from Sthil. I should see how an aftermarket one works soon.

It's pretty bad when knock off parts are avaliable. That tell me the manufacture is dropping the ball on part sales.

Or OEM parts are too pricey or too slow to ship. I bet your AM coil will work fine. How much cheaper was it than OEM?
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

JSNH

It was $35 for the aftermarket including shipping. The Sthil one would have been $94 I think. The local dealer gave me an about price not an exact one.

dougand3

Roughly 1/3 the price - that speaks volumes. Plus, if you have to drive to the dealer and pay for it - he then calls or gets on internet to order. You return to pick up. You saved many steps here ordering it on the internet.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

beenthere

Ignition coil on MS361.. I'll check with my Stihl dealer tomorrow and see what might be up. Interesting that a saw maybe less than 10 yr old is a problem for parts. The carb parts he ordered for my MS361 were next-day delivery and he isn't a big dealer, but an independent one (not Deere).

Hope the aftermarket works well for you.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

Can you not get new Stihl parts online?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ZeroJunk

Quote from: LeeB on September 02, 2014, 01:55:35 PM
Can you not get new Stihl parts online?

Not any other than what gets out the back door to eBay.

LeeB

Did not know that. I knew you couldn't buy new saws online, but did not know about the parts. Hmph.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

JSNH

Yep no Sthil parts online. As far as I can see they don't allow dealer to sell any on line parts either.

I like my saw but Sthil sells parts like it was 1950 and not 2014.

SwampDonkey

Might be the dealer. I have no trouble getting parts, but often I have to know what I need and not depend on someone. I also don't have to pay shipping at he one shop I use. Think about shipping, it's a business your ordering from. Shipping is a cost up front, but that is recovered as a business expense and sale tax credit for heaven's sake.  ::)

I've never seen Stihl online parts either and that goes for some other saw brands to.

If a saw is discontinued, once the supply of old parts is gone, that's it I believe.

I avoid the Deere garage for parts, they are also a Craftsman repair service centre. Kicker is it has to be warranty work, and they won't order you anything otherwise. Plus they like to slap on shipping, which is not neccessary at all. They are not out anything in the long run. I just avoid any shop that is run like everyone has a hobby saw and you are treated like your just across the road and waiting a week for a part and sitting by a phone waiting for a call. Stinko! :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JSNH

It's 2014 online ordering is where things are sold.
On Thursday afternoon I ordered the aftermarket coil from directchainsaw.com from an ebay ad. I received it today on Tuesday after a holiday weekend. That's darn quick. It fit like a glove and works. I just ran a tank full of gass thru the saw. Started and ran great. Happy dance again! The part delivered was 1/3 the cost of a unavailable factory part.

thecfarm

swampdonkey,I had a tractor like that too.  ::)  I guess they thought I sat in the house thinking of things to use the tractor for.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Paul_H

I just checked my Stihl Bnet and there are 100+ MS361 ignition modules in stock in the Edmonton warehouse.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SawTroll

Quote from: beenthere on September 02, 2014, 01:36:48 PM
Ignition coil on MS361.. I'll check with my Stihl dealer tomorrow and see what might be up. Interesting that a saw maybe less than 10 yr old is a problem for parts. ....

I suspect it just is a local logistical problem, that can be solved by a decent dealer?
Information collector.

Al_Smith

Quote from: SawTroll on September 05, 2014, 12:37:16 PM
I suspect it just is a local logistical problem, that can be solved by a decent dealer?
Stop the presses.The planets must be in alignment,the cosmos in harmony.Niko and I are in agreement . :D 8)

clww

I promise I'll make a note of it! :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

AdkStihl

#1. Why hasn't anyone mentioned Madsens
#2. 361 coils were known to be faulty and had a lifetime guarantee IIRC

J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

Well they probabley were not mention because they aren't a sponsor .On the other the one that was a sponsor that might have cared is no longer a sponsor so why should they care .Even if they did care  nobody else would care .If they cared they would still be a  sponsor ---clear as mud . 8)

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

AdkStihl

How you been Uncle Al  smiley_huh
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

SawTroll

Quote from: Al_Smith on September 05, 2014, 07:08:53 PM
Quote from: SawTroll on September 05, 2014, 12:37:16 PM
Stop the presses.The planets must be in alignment,the cosmos in harmony.Niko and I are in agreement . :D 8)

;D I believe that may have happened before - I never really thought of it......
Information collector.

JohnG28

I seem to recall seeing somewhere before that 361 coils were guaranteed for life as well. May have been earlier versions and not later though as I also seem to remember there being a correction later on? Been a while since I heard that though.  ???
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Thank You Sponsors!