iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wm blade leaving undesireable surface

Started by yukon cornelius, August 11, 2014, 10:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

i have only ran timberwolf blades so far but I got 3 wm blades and put the first one on for a try. it cuts fine but is leaves rougher mill marks every couple inches on the board face. im sure its just a tooth or couple teeth with different set on them. I haven't contacted them nor have I tried the other 2 blades. any suggestions?
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Delawhere Jack

There's a tooth or a couple teeth knocked out a bit. Usually happens in shipping. It was more of a problem when they shipped them coiled. Now with the flat pack blade boxes it's pretty uncommon. If it's really off, you may be able to find the tooth by feel while slowly rotating the band by hand and bend it back with pliers.

LeeB

You could put your eye on the blade and see if you can find the guilty tooth and gently reset it with a cresent wrench or you can use the blade to cut boards you won't be so critical about. Hopefully the tooth will get reset correctly on the next sharpening.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

yukon cornelius

no debarker but these are erc logs that the bark his easily hand peeling prior to milling.

Brucer

It's probably more than one tooth that's off a bit. I found that when a blade marks the boards, it's usually 5 or 10 consecutive teeth that are overset (or underset).

This happens from time to time but it isn't often that you'll find a WM blade marking wood straight out of the box.

I'd try another blade. If that one also marks the wood, check the serial numbers on the blades to see if they're close. If they are, there may have been a problem with that run of blades. I'd complain to WM if it happens with more than one blade: they'll probably replace them, or resharpen them; and it will help them with their quality control.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

just_sawing

I sharpen blades for people and this happened with a new customer who refused to pay me for sharpening. I finally pen it down to the employee in the shop throwing blades on to a hard surface to uncoil them. Could not understand why their blades had a mis set.
I have ran WM blades for twenty years and never had that problem. It was either shipping or sorry to say handling at your place.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

thecfarm

I've had Tmberwolfs do that. But that was a blade that I had for a while. I did find the teeth that was doing it. I made it better,but still could see where it was not quite right.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

When I have a blade that's not right. I give it a set and sharpen and if it doesn't come out of it, I throw it out and grab another one. Blades are short money. Blades are the heart of the mill, Don't cut with a bad heart. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

Yes, I too have seen this from many different makes and shapes. It is rare, but happens, try another one and save that one back if it saws unsatisfactory for this job.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ladylake

How bad is the surface, keep in mind this is rough cut lumber and it will be planed or if used for trailer decking or fence boards a little rough is fine.  Quite a few people like too buy circle saw lumber just for the saw marks.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

yukon cornelius

the surface isn't so bad as I cant use the lumber. I use my rough cut lumber to make rustic furniture. I like the rough cut lumber look but I like it to be consistently rough. I will see if I can find the problem tooth/teeth and correct them. thanks for your help!

Magicman

Leaving random irregular patterns could be something as simple as feed rate, blade tension, drive belt tension, or even the log itself.  Of course, irregular tooth setting could be the culprit.  Whatever the cause, apparently the blade teeth are catching and slowing the blade speed rate down.  An oscillating blade will leave patterns.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

yukon cornelius

mm the pattern is pretty uniform leading me to the tooth set hypothesis. flat about 6-8 inches then about 1-2 inches of the stipes , teeth marks, then back to normal.  it continues through the whole cut. I forgot to look to see if it list the top or bottom of the cut. its not both sides for sure. today I will run another through today and see if I can pinpoint it and fix it. can I lay it on a flat surface and look for the high or low teeth? I would say they are low since it leaves a ridge or raised area.

Dave Shepard

If you are going 6" to 8" between marks, you must be feeding about 200 feet a minute. :D When I have a blade making marks, it's usually about 1", at most 2" apart, and that is with a high feed rate. Are these marks like washbaords? That would be a feed rate problem, not a band set problem.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ladylake

Dave's right 6 to 8" would be a really high feed rate.  I don't know what kind of mill you have but maybe check the track rollers for bad bearings or a buildup on them which could cause the head to go up and down a little, that 6 to 8" would be one revolution of a wheel somewhere just over 2"  .  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

yukon cornelius

that's a great point! I feed slow! I aim for a very uniform sawmarks. manual ez boardwalk mill. I will check the rollers. that is a highy likely cause I never considered. thanks

Magicman

You are back to blade oscillation.  Too slow feed rate not applying enough pressure against the blade can allow oscillation.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

yukon cornelius

maby I do need to feed through faster. I didn't end up milling anything or checking the rollers today. I am going to check them on the way to the house for dinner. mill is between house and shop. I try to feed slow since im normally milling really knot infested red cedar. I thought it would give a straighter cut. it never did it before on the 11 timber wolf blades I had before so I thought it might just be the wm blades

Cedarman

Do the marks look like close together ripples that run about 20 to 30 degree angle across board?  Or are they ripple looking but run perfectly crossways to the board?  If you have a junk cedar log, try different rates.  One to see if the marks disappear and two, how fast can you go before blade rises over knots.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Chuck White

Quote from: Magicman on August 12, 2014, 04:40:16 PM
You are back to blade oscillation.  Too slow feed rate not applying enough pressure against the blade can allow oscillation.

I agree, if you feed too slowly, it gives the blade time to flop around in the cut!

If you keep the blade engaged in the wood the marks will likely change, maybe even go away!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Yukon, when I have overset teeth I have the band tight on the mill and with the band stopped lightly run a piece of sticking over the band you should be able to feel the errant teeth/tooth. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

yukon cornelius

sure enough, a small bark packed in the roller. I didn't feel it while running the mill but with it off ther was a small bump at every revolution of the roller. I cleaned it out and will mill tomorrow and see if it fixes it. I need a sweeper on both sides of the rollers and on the back rollers.

Magicman

That is an item that I mention on here occasionally.  It happens and is easily overlooked.  I forgot to mention it this time.   ::)

thecfarm

At the job I use to have,I would be called if a machine would not run. I would start with the simple things and work my way down. Most times it was the simple things too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!