iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cracked Log Column

Started by Mrauch69, August 11, 2014, 10:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrauch69

I am doing a structural review of a log home.  One of the columns has an 1-1/2" wide crack, sort of spiraling up the column.  It's about 24' tall, carrying floor and roof loads.  Are splits like this normal in log construction?  Do corrective measures need to be taken?  The home is 7 years old, and no significant movement or deflection has yet taken place.  I'd add a photo, but I'm not allowed.

Thehardway

Welcome,

You might need to clarify what you mean by "column", "crack" and "split"

I will assume you mean a wood post or vertical support timber, that is solid sawn boxed heart or a whole log.  If these assumptions are true, then what you are referring to as a crack, is what we would typically call a check.  It is normal for checks to occur while timbers are drying.  A check will not extend past the heart and in most cases (depending on loading and location) they are not considered to weaken a timber structurally.   Some species of wood are more prone to checking than others and some form numerous small narrow checks (red oak, white pine) while others form a wide single check (White oak, Yellow Pine). 

1.5" wide might be acceptable in a large post.  I would want to know more about the age of the post, specie, size, load and location before making any real judgement.  Most checks are not something to be concerned about and no corrective action is needed. 

If you can see daylight through the "crack" or "split" then it truly is a crack or split and could represent a dangerous structural failure. Corrective measures would need to be taken.

It is good no deflection or movement is detected.

Is it a non-disclosure issue preventing pictures or are you have trouble posting them? 

What is your familiarity and background with log/timber structures?  If you are not familiar with them then this might be a tough row to hoe and place you at some liabilty. 

Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

beenthere

Mrauch
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

With just an assumption on my part from what you describe, don't think there is anything to do nor to worry about.

But without a picture to support the verbal description, then can't say for sure.

What are your qualifications for the structural review?  A structural engineer, inspector, assessor, buyer or seller?  Need some help here, please. 

To add a photo, you need to set up your own gallery within your profile (and you can add your location too ;) )
Then go to "Behind the Forum" on the Home page, and the first thread will explain in detail the couple steps to post your photos. Need to move them from your computer to your gallery in .jpg format.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!