iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SWBC

Started by BC-Kiwi, August 10, 2014, 10:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BC-Kiwi

I am looking at a mobile sawmill, bandsaw style, and have been looking to see if there is any demand, and/or sawmills operating in the lower mainland. I know there are a couple on Vancouver island, the sunshine coast and have seen some up around Prince George/Fort Saint Johns.

Eventually we will be moving east to the Okanagan/Kootenays region.

This is something i am looking to start as a part time enterprise and move into full time over a number of years.

I've been reading a lot of the posts on here about people wanting to start up and some of the trials and tribulations of being in the business. Would be interested in any sawyers from north of the border.

Thanks for any thoughts from people.

dgdrls

Welcome BC-Kiwi.

I believe there are some folks right in the area you speak of here on the FF.

I'm sure you will hear from them as well as others.

I saw part-time/hobby and am learning a bunch about the local markets and how to proceed.
Lots to learn above and beyond just the sawing element,

Best
DGDrls

BCsaw

BCkiwi, I think you would be surprised at how many portable mills are out there. There at least hundreds if not thousands on Van Isle alone. Obviously not everybody is sawing as a business. There are a couple adds on Kijiji in the Kamloops area right now. This shouldn't discourage you, just letting you in on actually what is out there.

I have seen an add or 2 for sawyers in the LM, but it may be backyard guys speculating as well.

Know your market and your wood supply as you progress. Try and find a niche to capitalize on.

Enjoy your progression into this field.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

highleadtimber16

I'm on the Sunshine Coast, and keep busy all year long. If I ain't milling I'm cutting firewood or organizing lumber. Feel free to ask questions!
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

Magicman

Hello BC-Kiwi, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

Well here I am, in the Kootenays ;D.

About three years ago I sold some 1x6 to a guy in Vancouver :o. It was winter so he paid me extra to dig out a couple of my lumber piles. He paid almost as much in shipping costs as he paid for the wood. I suggested he might be able to find someone a lot closer, but he couldn't find anyone on the internet (thanks Jeff). The guy was pleased as anything with what I sold him.

There are portable mills everywhere. Some of them are sitting unused in backyards, some of them are struggling to make a go of it, some of them are doing pretty well. There used to be half a dozen people within an hour of me all doing portable work. Last year I started to get calls from people. I'd mention a couple of names that were a lot closer: "He retired", "he hurt his back", "he's moved."

My business is really down this year. Lots of new construction, all stick frame. Very little demand for timbers, which is my bread and butter. But that's OK. I was planning to semi-retire next year and I've just started a little sooner. I like it ;D.

You can't compete with the big mills and the box stores, so don't try. Look for something the big mills can't or won't do.

BC has some pretty strict rules about buying and selling and moving logs. Find out about the rules -- they aren't difficult to follow but you gotta stick by them. Make friends with your local forestry people. Believe it or not, they're actually there to help you, and they will. By following the rules, you make their life easier, and they'll reciprocate.

If you want to move to this neck of the woods and compete with me, feel free. I'll help you get established and then I'll fully retire ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!