iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help picking a new tractor

Started by roneal, August 10, 2014, 07:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roneal

I currently have a ford 4610 and it serves itself well for my need's. I find the need of a 4x4 at times and also would like to have a front loader. I think a Kubota is the way I want to go, maybe a 5040 size. The only thing is I am concerned about the weight, the horsepower is about the same. Any thoughts or suggestions?

stumpjumper83

Can you give us a little more to go on?  Are you intending to use this tractor in the woods as a skidder?  Are you going to be getting rid of the ford to facilitate the new tractor?  Do you need a larger tractor than what you currently have?  What will the primary loader duties that you have in mind be?

Brad_S.

I had a Ford 841 I used for mowing and occasional plowing. The old girl reminded me of my childhood riding on my neighbors tractor as he went about his chores, however, she was a temperamental old girl and I really needed a full time PTO.
One day when I really needed it, it once again would not start. In frustration, I ran down to the Kubota dealer 4 miles away and bought an L4600 as it was an even swap horsepower and size wise. It was an impulse purchase and I now regret not taking more time.
I would have looked into the Mahindra line. It seems you get more bang for the buck. Would have also looked at Kioti although I have heard a few negatives on them. I don't feel I got taken with the Kubota, just that I could have gotten more for my money if I hadn't paid for the name.
In the Kubota line, I also regret buying the L series, I wish I had stepped up and gone with an M series...beefier.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

drobertson

Heard good thinks on the Kiotes, fil has on with the turbo, nice compact, good friend has the Mahindra another good one, has a little more weight than the Kiotes, the New Hollands(ford) are also great choices, then there are the green ones, hard to go wrong with these as well.  It is a hard pick, and takes a lot of shopping around.   Let us know when it happens,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

My Kubota M5640SU 4x4 with log forks is a real work horse.  It will pick up a log that is 26" on the small end 11 feet long.  That is about its limit with a counter weight on the back of the tractor.  That is about 2500 pounds. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

I have a Kubota L4240 I bought before ever starting to saw.  If I was going to buy now I would get more than the 42 hp.  Actually was I would like is more lift ability on the loader.  I have a grapple on the loader with 3rd function valve to lift and move logs etc.   I have had issues moving a 32'' on large end 14' long yellow pine log.  I could lift enough to move/drag to the base of my mill and then use the deck package to pull it up on the deck.  The grapple is about 4 to 500lbs which robs some of the lift.  I love that grapple thought for brush and moving logs.
Do get 4x4.  Don't know what your terrain is like but where I am operating there or inclines.  Even with loaded tires and an implement on the back there have been times the rear has seemed light.  If the back end raises because of front load and you don't have a 4x4 there is nothing to retard the front from free wheeling.
Look for a tractor dealer near you that you can deal with. Not just price but one you feel good about that will take care of you in future.  That is as important as brand.   I like my Kubota and have had no problems at all.  Given where I bought and operate I probably would repeat buy.  I do feel like there is price paid for the name.  When I was looking it was either Deere or Kubota and I selected orange. 

Peter Drouin

Go John Deere and get all the horses you can buy. And if you sell it you will get all your money back. Not like the others ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bruno of NH

Hi Roneal
I had a kabota was a good tractor wanted a larger one started looking .
I ended up with a Massey 1560 cab tractor loader backhoe
I'm a big man ( fat) the floor and deck are much stronger than the other tractors I looked at .
The Massey 1560's are made in Japan has the same parts as my old kabota
Got my 1560 as a fair special the dealer used it at fairs all summer got a great price
Jim Bruno of Nh
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

roneal,welcome to the forum. I had an orange color one and would have to wait a week for parts.  ::)  I got rid of that problem and went to a blue one. If they don't have the parts,which is rare,I can get them in 3 days.  I can pick any of them apart,be it,blue,red,orange,green and all the colors.  ;D
But get the Ag tires!!!!!! Those are the ones with the narrow-deep cleats.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Hello roneal, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Keep us posted on your tractor decisions.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kczbest

Growing up on a row crop farm I'm partial to John Deere. I bought my 5303 4x4 w/FEL new in 2007. I spent a couple of months looking and comparing different tractor brands, in the end I got a price quote from a high volume dealer 70 miles from me and my local JD dealer matched it. I paid less for the Deere than I could have gotten a comparable, New Holland, Massey, Kubota, Kioto, Mahindra, or Montana. It pays to spend the time price comparing, in the end I saved almost $6000 dollars off of my local dealers "best" price. If I could do it over again I would have gotten 90+HP and a cab!
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

woodmills1

I love mt Kioti 40se, it works hard and often for me
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

SPIKER

One thing is to like someone said compare each to each and every other several times.   Don't be too afraid of the import stuff as anymore most every tractor made is "Imported" even those big green machines are made from parts made from overseas with some parts bolted on here.    Check out the TBN http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/ as that is all about tractors and you will have opinions form everyone whey this color ot that color is better.   The consensus is that the dealer you are comfortable with , is close & stocks parts is a very important thing if you are not mechanically inclined.   If you are then try to not worry much about where it is made and more about where you can get parts.   I have a MADE IN CHINA tractor worked it like a dog or bulldozer most of it's life, for 28hp it has pulled logs that impressed me a lot.   I can have any part on it in 3 days so I am impressed with the dealers state side for a 2002 tractor...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Peter Drouin

Quote from: kczbest on August 10, 2014, 06:25:17 PM
Growing up on a row crop farm I'm partial to John Deere. I bought my 5303 4x4 w/FEL new in 2007. I spent a couple of months looking and comparing different tractor brands, in the end I got a price quote from a high volume dealer 70 miles from me and my local JD dealer matched it. I paid less for the Deere than I could have gotten a comparable, New Holland, Massey, Kubota, Kioto, Mahindra, or Montana. It pays to spend the time price comparing, in the end I saved almost $6000 dollars off of my local dealers "best" price. If I could do it over again I would have gotten 90+HP and a cab!

Mine is 80 HP and I wish I had a 150+HP. I do have a cab and heat and AC. So for all you guys out there get what you want, Just get all the HP you can buy, You won't be sorry  :D :D :D 8) 8)

24' hemlock
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

I think the dealer support issue is very important. What good is a good tractor, if the dealer is a dud?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

roneal

Wow, did not expect that many replies, thanks. I will be able to decide brand, I guess the biggest thing is my tractor now has bout 52 horsepower and weighs bout 8200 pounds. The comparable hp. tractors don't weigh near that much even with a loader. Weight equals pulling power, I think. And yes will be getting rid of the Ford, although in my opinion it is bullet proof. Uses will include bushogging, light firewood logging and clearing, light plowing and gardening. Thanks again for the replies

StimW

Your location would be nice.
Check out the TBN link, you will find all the info you will ever need.
I have a 35hp Branson made in Korea with a Cummins Engine that I bought in 2005. It has many features that makes it a great tractor! Like 12 speeds and Shuttle Shift.
At the time it was about $5000. cheaper than Bota's.
I first looked at the Chinese tractors and was very disappointed with their poor quality to go with their cheap price. The castings looked like they were made in someone's backyard!
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

kczbest

Quote from: Peter Drouin on August 10, 2014, 07:18:20 PM

Mine is 80 HP and I wish I had a 150+HP. I do have a cab and heat and AC. So for all you guys out there get what you want, Just get all the HP you can buy, You won't be sorry  :D :D :D 8) 8)

24' hemlock
Nice Deere ya got there Peter. I'll trade ya!
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

Peter Drouin

Quote from: kczbest on August 11, 2014, 12:29:27 PM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on August 10, 2014, 07:18:20 PM

Nice Deere ya got there Peter. I'll trade ya!

:D :D :D :D Good one
A&P saw Mill LLC.

stumpjumper83

Quote from: roneal on August 11, 2014, 06:53:09 AM
Wow, did not expect that many replies, thanks. I will be able to decide brand, I guess the biggest thing is my tractor now has bout 52 horsepower and weighs bout 8200 pounds. The comparable hp. tractors don't weigh near that much even with a loader. Weight equals pulling power, I think. And yes will be getting rid of the Ford, although in my opinion it is bullet proof. Uses will include bushogging, light firewood logging and clearing, light plowing and gardening. Thanks again for the replies

Humm... for the tasks you have listed I don't see you needing a larger framed tractor.  I'm thinking you would like something with either a hydrostatic or at least a reverser.  They make loader work much more friendly.  The hydrostatics  are not well suited for heavy tillage work btw.  Also be sure the loader will be heavy enough for you.  Dad has a farmall 80 with the cih 730 loader, and its a lot of loader for the tractor.  A smaller frame loader might suit it better.  As it is anymore than a ton and your walking on your toes.

MrPete

I have a Kubota MX-5100,  I use it for the same as you are wanting yours for.  It weighs 7300 including the FEL.  As far as I am concerned it is the perfect size.  Not big, not small.  I was looking at 40 hp range and got this 50hp, glad I did.  Hope this helps.

woodmills1

I love my chevy 4500, but it has glitches.  My tacoma is 43,690 with only routine as well as my second Kioti.  I don't have to fix what does not break.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

LaneC

I agree about the dealers. It is better in my opinion, to have a dealer within 2 hours drive, max. I would make sure I liked them and they could get parts asap. I am partial to red (Massey Fergesson) and once you get yours, whichever color you choose, after a while you will probably love it too, as long as you made the right choice on hp ;D Hope you get a good one and it works good for you.
Man makes plans and God smiles

beenthere

QuoteI would make sure I liked them and they could get parts asap.

Very good point... I had a hydraulic line split this past winter, and sprayed hyd oil everytime I had to raise my snowplow. Called the Deere dealer at 4 pm and he ordered the part. It was on the UPS truck when it arrived at 11:30 am the next day.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Piston

Based on the size of your tractor now, I doubt you'd be happy with an L series Kubota or similar size from another manufacturer.  This pretty much rules out anything with a hydrostatic transmission, unless you went with a dedicated TLB like a Kubota L48 or M59, which are very pricey (but very capable). 

The advice to check out TBN is good advice, however, keep in mind that over there, they will try to talk you into spending 3 times the amount you want to spend, and you certainly won't find as "friendly" of a group over there.  That forum has gotten "too big" for it's own good. 

If you are going to be handling a lot of logs/brush (who isn't  :D) then I can't recommend a grapple enough!  Forks are nice, but not even close to as useful as a grapple is. 

Are you planning on buying new, or used?  This will make a big difference. 

The newer tractors from all the major manufacturers are all very nice.  All of them make such nice tractors that it makes it almost impossible to pick one over there other, when you really start looking at them.  You really can't go wrong with any.  If it's weight you want, then keep in mind that Kubota's are typically lighter than other manufacturers, so you usually have to spend more money to add weight. 

I don't believe that you are paying extra for the "name" on either JD or Kubota, but you will typically find that they are more expensive.  You will also find they come with more creature comforts and perhaps things you don't need.  Tractors these days now come in "luxury lines" and more standard "work trims".  You will pay dearly for the luxury tractors. 

Whatever you do, do yourself a favor, and budget in enough for a grapple.  Also keep in mind that you will most likely want other implements if you don't have them already, whichever implements you may want, budget for those as well. 
A little info on FEL grapples here: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=50047.0

Remember that a tractor itself is virtually useless, so don't get too caught up in which is "best".  Try to choose one that will fit your needs the best.  The implement's and attachments are what get's the work done.  So, it is best to think about what implements you will need, what size they should be, and how much HP is required to run them, then the 'sizing' issue pretty much decided itself.  This goes for the front end loader as well, once you figure out how much lift capacity you need, you can then find what minimum size tractor would work for you, and go from there. 

If I were to buy a brand new tractor right now, I would probably be buying a Case 75C (the identical tractor in blue is the New Holland T4.75), as it would fit my needs the best, but other's will vary. 

Look into LS and Kioti in addition of course to the other 'standards'.  Many people don't know about LS but they are starting to become well known for they're value as a good basic tractor at a good price. 

Of course if your buying new, then local dealers may dictate what you want to purchase.  If your buying used, and you tend to do your own maintenance, and your not relying on your tractor as your way of life (i.e. you can afford a couple days of downtime waiting for a part) then I wouldn't blink an eye as to what dealerships are around.  In the grand scheme of things, your tractor may never go to the dealer for a repair, so don't pass up on a tractor that doesn't have a local dealer unless you think you'll be relying on them. 

Lastly, try not to get caught up on the internet specs.  Marketing is a wonderful tool....for the manufacturers, but it often leads us down the wrong path.  Anyone who tells you that orange is better than green, or green is better than orange, or any other color out there, is too "brand loyal" and will give a biased opinion.  The most important thing is going to be the ergonomics on the tractor, and how you like operating it, so get out there and go for some test drives, become color blind for a few weeks, and make your decision.   ;D

This is just my opinion, take it for what you paid  ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Thank You Sponsors!