iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

May have to slab this one on the mill

Started by 21incher, August 09, 2014, 10:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Found this in my garden yesterday while chasing a rabbit through the squash plants. It is a Boston Marrow Heirloom winter squash that was only supposed to grow to 15 lbs. 

It is 33 lbs and I don't know if it was done growing. Also found 2 more a little smaller. About 18 inches diameter x 24 inches long. Thinking about slabbing it on the mill, what do you think? 4/4, 5/4, 6/4 or 8/4 slabs. Anyone know how to eat one of these things? ;D ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

That is a bigum. You did something right.I wonder how my buttercup and butternut are doing. I can see some,but don't venture into the middle of the patch until we get a frost or things start to die back.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

Quote from: thecfarm on August 10, 2014, 05:30:23 AM
That is a bigum. You did something right.I wonder how my buttercup and butternut are doing. I can see some,but don't venture into the middle of the patch until we get a frost or things start to die back.
When I bought the seeds it said max 15 lbs. so I thought they would only be a little bigger then a butternut and a lot sweeter. This was a big surprise hidden under the giant leaves. Never got the rabbit though.

Quote from: drobertson on August 10, 2014, 05:26:07 AM
Cookies?  that's a big'un 8)
My wife says slice it at 1 inch cookies and roast them in the oven, or stuff it and have it for thanksgiving instead of a turkey. :-\
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

tule peak timber

I agree, roast it in pieces, mash it up , mix with some brown sugar and butter and enjoy . Another suggestion is to send me five or ten seeds  ! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

drobertson

Quote from: tule peak timber on August 10, 2014, 09:45:06 AM
I agree, roast it in pieces, mash it up , mix with some brown sugar and butter and enjoy . Another suggestion is to send me five or ten seeds  ! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
8) had the same thoughts,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

21incher

I never save squash seeds from year to year because they seem to cross pollinate and the result is often not edible. Got them from Baker Creek Seeds ( rareseeds.com ) and I can order some extras next year if you want some. The seeds will be roasted and salted. Picked another today, here is a pic of my first wheelbarrow full from the garden this morning.

The next one was full of more tomatoes, green beans, beets and carrots. Been really busy canning and pickling the last couple of weeks. :)

drobertson

21 these are all we use, non gmo, very replantable, and germination is nearly 100%   I would, If I were you, to save some of what you receive from this outfit.  It has proved over and over again.  I must say though, moving the garden is a risky venture, Soil is critical ,  they intend on folks extending the heritage for years to come, not controlled by the larger outfits that what priority over the seeds. Next year, Lord willing, will be much better!
this outfit has seminars regularly close by, we grab what we need an listen and learn as we go.  Still, nice big ole squash!  I know it will be good whenever you decide to work it up.  They last quite a while,

tule peak timber

21...What a terrific pic ! 8) 8) we grow Kahki pumpkin for  hull-less seeds. Thanks for your offer. Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

blackfoot griz

We got punked by a seed company. One of the cucumber seeds turned out so be some kind of squash of sorts. It's too early to tell what the heck it is but it is taking over the place. >:(  Need to fire up the chainsaw and go logging in the greenhouse.

GAB

I personally would forget the brown sugar and use Maple Syrup instead.
Let us know how it tastes.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

21incher

Quote from: GAB on August 10, 2014, 07:36:28 PM

I personally would forget the brown sugar and use Maple Syrup instead.
Let us know how it tastes.
Gerald
That sounds like a good idea. digin_2 I still have 2 1/2 gallons left from last winter. Going to put them in the root cellar for a while as we are buried in summer squash right now, but I'll let you know. :)

Thank You Sponsors!