iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

scorpion

Started by 1270d, August 08, 2014, 10:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1270d

Went to the Ponsse scorpion north america unviel with wannaergo today.  Impressive machine.  Excellent visibility and stability.

BargeMonkey

I saw a video of one working, almost looks kinda sci-fi.  :D

timberlinetree

Look like stuff from star wars! :o Really neat stuff and must be like a airplane cockpit with all the buttons,lights,and gauges. Thank for posting
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

snowstorm

there is just something about having that crane right over your head all the time

1270d

Seems like it wouldn't be too long and you would have to buy shop towels in bulk to keep the hydraulic oil off of the windows. 

Wait, logging equipment never has leaks.

Autocar

Wait logging equipment never has a leak  :D :D :D :D
Bill

Ken

They sure are pretty when new.  I didn't get a full day in on the new one before the head was over rotated and ruined an o-ring spraying the shiny new paint with hydraulic  :(. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Corley5

So what's one of them Scorpions cost  ??? ??? ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

redprospector

Quote from: Autocar on August 09, 2014, 01:52:08 PM
Wait logging equipment never has a leak  :D :D :D :D

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Jamie_C

Quote from: Ken on August 09, 2014, 03:38:22 PM
They sure are pretty when new.  I didn't get a full day in on the new one before the head was over rotated and ruined an o-ring spraying the shiny new paint with hydraulic  :(.

The rotator on the machine I run has built in stoppers to prevent that, saves possibly twisting a hose completely off the head.

barbender

I don't remember what the price is, pushing $700K all optioned out, I think. I will likely be picking up behind one within a month, as the processor operator I work with is getting one.
Too many irons in the fire

Loggermann

We were at that demo Friday! I got to cut a few trees with it yesterday, I'm very impressed!! I think the Scorpion would be a huge benifit out west in the steep broken ground we work on!

Gary_C

I understand there are at least nine being sent to the US this year and all are sold.

Nice machine and you don't have to look around that crane upright anymore.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

1270d

I does look like it would be great for cutting down and uphill with the visibility advantage.   

Gary_C

It's a huge advantage in row thinings, plus it puts the operator forward right at the crane location. And you are always facing your cutting head and the stability is great as the cab/crane platform has stabilizers/levelers that have load sensing to compensate for the swing of the crane and for rough terrain.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

barbender

Tragicly, one of those machines was slated for a friend who was killed when his plane crashed on friday afternoon, along with his wife and a friend of theirs. I think he had the second Ponsse harvester to come to MN, back around '97. He was only 41, but other than CTL logging, his passion was flying and I guess I should be happy he died doing what he loved. Just way too early, that's all.

1270d

sorry to hear that.   was he the man you skid behind?

Daver

"Remember, amateurs made the ark, professionals built the Titanic."

barbender

Quote from: 1270d on August 10, 2014, 05:03:01 PM
sorry to hear that.   was he the man you skid behind?
No- I worked for him a few years back driving truck. I met him through another friend who went to work for him in '99 running forwarder, and then processor.
http://www.grandrapidsmn.com/news/three-area-residents-killed-in-ontario-plane-crash/article_058ddeb4-1fed-11e4-8ea0-0019bb2963f4.html?mode=jqm

snowstorm

there was a story about him in the july 2010 issue of timberharvesting mag about him. about how he switched over to tree length for 3 months then traded it all in for ctl gear. all deere at the time.

barbender

I was going to go to work for him when he transitioned to the conventional equipment, by the time I started in December he was already back to a new John Deere CTL team.  He always really kicked himself for that deal, he lost a lot of money on that one. He couldn't say "conventional equipment" without shaking his head and getting mad at himself :) Nik was never content to just keep doing the same thing, he always had to try something different. Sometimes it worked great and other times not. But, he had the fortitude to keep pressing forward even when he worked himself into a corner, where most people would've gave up. He reminded me of some of the adventurers, like the man (Shackleton?)that went across Antarctica to save his crew whose ship was locked in the ice and running out of provisions, or the rock climber that had to cut his own arm off with a dull knife- Nik had that kind of fortitude, to keep going no matter what.

barbender

Sorry, 1270d, I kind of hijacked your thread. I will be sure to report on the Scorpion when I start picking wood up behind it, and helping with repairs. Hopefully, there won't be too many bugs to fix as the crane beyond the new base is the same as an ergo parallel crane, so is the H7 head. The engine, pumps, and drive components are the same as an 8 wheel Ergo, so the new 3 piece frame and leveling components will be the part we have to learn about.

sshier

Wow 700,000 well I guess that's only about 17,500 cords of pulp to pay it off 350 cord a week just for the note wonder if ponsse would give me one on time, for some reason the bank thought I was crazy
When I asked for one maybe I'd have better luck with ponsse

Brleclaire

That's why Ponsse puts all those fancy lights on their machines. So you can run them night and day to pay for them.

Thank You Sponsors!