iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jacking Up A Log Cabin - First timer

Started by chuck56, August 08, 2014, 09:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuck56

I have a log cabin and a log garage that both need jacking. The garage needs just jacking to raise it up. The log garage measures 24' wide and 26' feet deep. The bottom logs rest on (7) 45 gallon and one 5 gallon concrete filled cans. The garage has two garages doors. Three cans run down the left and right sides with a can on each corner and one in the middle. There is also a can in the middle along the back. Between the garage doors are small log sections which rest on the 5 gallon can.  The walls are 6' 8" inches high and the top roof beam is 11.5 feet to it's bottom. The log garage is built very low to the ground.

I need your ideas and suggestions.  I want to turn this garage into a cabin but want to raise it up. I live 650 miles away from it so it's not a weekend project I can tinker at. Here's what I plan to do: Jack it up and block it. Then place some stone or concrete blocks, say 8" high, and followed by 8"x8" tamarac joined over the each can.

Later I will work on foundation and or floor.  But it will be up off the ground. My questions, besides am I making sense so far, are: What kind of stone or blocks should I use? I saw some concrete ones that measured 4"H by 8"W x 12"L and thought I could place them on the cans. The overall measurement would be 16"x 12"x 8" stacking two on two and then place the tamarack on top. Also, what brand of bottle jack should I get and how many tons? I was thinking of buying 4 - 20 Ton ones but I have no idea if the number or lifting power is correct. I have already purchased the tamarack.   I leave in a week to jack it up.
My plan is based on conversations with locals in New Brunswick where my camp is located.
My main camp is in worse shape. A little bigger though. I'll make an additional post later about that.
Thanks in advance for any and all your ideas.

chuck56

sorry, posted in the wrong forum, please remove
thanks

Bruno of NH

Hi Chuck56
Please dont use bottle jacks !
Find some screw type building jacks in the New England area they can be found used fairly cheap.
They are much safer to use.
I have jacked , repaired , stabilized , many buildings in the last 30 yrs as a building contactor
If you have any problems PM me i will try to help if i can
Jim Bruno of NH
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!