iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

6.7 ford owners

Started by snowstorm, August 08, 2014, 04:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

how often dose your truck go into regen mode? and dose it make oil? in 6000 miles the dip stick shows 1 1/2" over full. i took it to the dealer and they said its normal. and there computer shows that it regens every 170 miles. the reason it makes oil. in regen it over fuels 4 cyl on the exhaust stroke to make heat to clean the exhaust filter

dsgsr

That's what my 6.4 does. Ya, ford says it's normal (my ass). I change my oil every 5000. Ford recommends every 10,000. Course they'ed love to sell you a 20,000 dollar engine.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

Southside

I don't have a Ford and my d-max is pre DPF so I am no help there, but making that much oil is bad.  I would test that oil for when your engine spins a bearing and get it in writing from the dealer that it is "normal" so you are not on the hook for the replacement engine.  Yikes, that is scary. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

snowstorm

they did reflash the computer with the latest program. he said that may help. it may have improved the fuel mileage. its about 50 miles mpg ranged from 22.6 to 23

barbender

Sounds like it's time to remove some emissions junk to me. Making oil is very bad.
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

We have issues with fuel dilution on medium speed diesels every once in a while. On a high speed your seriously risking the bottom end. If it exceeds 5% your washing the bearings. I have a 2012 6.7 and havent had much trouble yet other than fuel filter issues in the extreme cold, the truck has 31k on it, and goes down the road after this winter. Figure @ 3yrs old its seen 1500+ cord of wood, 4-5k miles of snow plowing and only god knows how much hay. Going to be someone elses headache.

giant splinter

Making Oil ?????
Interesting, but if it was the same quality as oil that you buy when you change your oil why aren't they bragging about that? something does not sound right. I am all for clean air and not in favor of replacing bearings and crankshafts, I am sure the design and engineering on these modern engines is sound and dependable while at the same time how long will these motors last and how much is this system better at putting out "clean air".
The cost of a new pickup is very high today relative to in the past, fuel is on the same par and the cost of a new logging truck or low-bed set up is even higher with all the regulation, we are the ones paying the bills for all this Where Does It End ?
roll with it

Ed_K

Our 550 does that, ford told the boss that it was from idling to much. Does your smoke real bad when it burns off?
Ed K

Ken

That does not sound healthy for engines that are finely tuned and require minimal variances to operate properly.  Making oil does not sound right
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Corley5

This makes me appreciate my 12 year old 250,000 mile Cummins that much more  ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

scsmith42

Snowstorm, what you describe is not uncommon for the newer diesel engines.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Woodhauler

Quote from: Ken on August 09, 2014, 03:49:51 PM
That does not sound healthy for engines that are finely tuned and require minimal variances to operate properly.  Making oil does not sound right
He is going to buy several of them and sell oil to obama!!!!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Woodhauler on August 09, 2014, 08:34:34 PM
Quote from: Ken on August 09, 2014, 03:49:51 PM
He is going to buy several of them and sell oil to obama!!!!
The great president, wall street and the oil companys have this country so tricked into thinking oil is scarce it isnt funny. I see quite a few large "100kbbl plus" Tugs+Barges running the husdon, plus mega sized train's trying to keep Globals crude tanks dry @ Albany and they cant keep up. When I was down in the gulf, the last 2yrs we could find a home for our crude sometimes, they couldnt build tanks fast enough. The new ULSD will be the downfall of alot of older engines, the lubricity is gone, lower sulphur but extremely sensitive to static build up. We where taken to a 2 day seminar when it came out, and treated it worse than gasoline in the beginning because of how it reacts sometimes. We arent even close to running out of oil, theres no reason for 4.00 plus a gallon fuel.

snowstorm

with this motor there is not a set mileage to change the oil. when its time it comes on the tv screen to change it. some how it tests it. all the new common rail engines use sort of the same set up with the def. well ih tried advanced egr till they got got by the feds. it didnt work as well as planed. so they had to kiss and makeup with cummins

ga jones

"Making oil" is a pretty interesting way of saying dumping fuel in the crank case.time for egr delete kit .
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

SPIKER

Will have to ask my next door neighbors, they HOTFOOT several F350s in the Oil Patch parts running and servicing pumps etc.   Have not been around an Ole Bud who was all about them & 3rd guy who also Hot Footed Fords for last decade or so.   They bought 3 trucks a year for the business and traded them in around 300,000 miles for new ones.   They went all in on Chevy when the Allison Trans came out.   traded in 4 Fords for 2 Chevy's, the 3 months later both Chevies had Engine and Trans issues, the dealer still had their used 250,000 mile fords & they bought the Fords Back. :D ;D 8)   Shop I worked for we put in their hitches for them all time...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Southside

Pretty sure its not the EGR that is the issue here, rather the DPF and over fueling that gets by the rings.  Of course my LBZ breathes clean air all the time thanks to a $10 EGR blocker plate and a little EFI live programming. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Maine logger88

Quote from: Southside logger on August 09, 2014, 11:21:56 PM
Pretty sure its not the EGR that is the issue here, rather the DPF and over fueling that gets by the rings.  Of course my LBZ breathes clean air all the time thanks to a $10 EGR blocker plate and a little EFI live programming.
Have you done the pcv reroute that's the next on the list for my lbz its a wonder these newer engines even run with all this crap on them
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Southside

I was going to but after a lot of reading on it decided not to. I change my oil at 10,000 miles and it is never down on the stick so any oil the PCV is losing is negligent.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

kjp

I own a 6.7 and I wouldn't worry much about it at all. Im not a fan of the emissions garbage but the engine was designed around the emissions equipment unlike the 6.4 that didn't take kindly to it. I beat and I mean beat the daylights out of my 6.7 and it really is an amazing engine so far. I haul well over gvwr with it weekly. Remember all new diesels were designed to allow the added fuel to the oil. Not saying any emissions junk is good for an engine but it was designed to run with it. My 6.4 I chipped it and got rid of the emissions stuff right off. The dpf is the death of those motors. as far as regens mine is all over the place. sometimes a couple of times a day. other times it wont do it for days. Hope this helps

Dave Shepard

Does the 6.7 use urea additive? I'm not up to date on newer diesels.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

brendonv

Yes dave.

I love my new 6.7. Hauls 10k plus everyday effortlessly, fairly efficiently, and quielty.  Very happy with it.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

kjp

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 10, 2014, 03:48:23 PM
Does the 6.7 use urea additive? I'm not up to date on newer diesels.
yes it does

snowstorm

these new motors run way better than the older ones. and get better fuel mileage

kjp

quote author=snowstorm link=topic=76908.msg1167980#msg1167980 date=1407713893]
these new motors run way better than the older ones. and get better fuel mile

they sure do. Ive hauled 20 k no problem with a srw and 3:55 gears. that's on top of a truck already loaded with saws, tools, and and transfer tank full of diesel. It averages 15 or so and that's a mix of empty driving and heavy towing. the truck is a crew cab long bed and with tools and such in it,it weighs in at just under 10000 pounds. Very impressive motors.

snowstorm

a real gm fan rode in mine yesterday. he says the seats are much better than his gmc. knowing him i was surprised to hear him say that

CTL logger

I'm on my second 6.7 my 2011 had 165k on it and they gave me decent trade price so I traded on a 14. I only had a   nox sensor go on it in a 165k, they have both been great running trucks. Only complaint on 14 so far would be at 24 k it ate off both front brakes ruined the right front rotor, which they had to order 140 bucks from ford guess they changed caliper and rotors on front of 14. I complained I got 86 k on last trucks first set of brakes they said my driving habits must've changed. I said sure they did same exact truck other than color and the front brakes are different but I'm the problem. We'll wait and see how this goes front wheel is black with brake dust all the time something isn't right but what do I know.

North River Energy

^mis-firing ABS computer?

CTL logger

Quote from: North River Energy on August 10, 2014, 09:45:51 PM
^mis-firing ABS computer?
Could be if the new ones wear out in the same time frame I'll be really complaining. The parts stores can't get shoes or  rotors for front of a 14 something has changed.

thecfarm

kjp,welcome to the forum. Don't want to derail this thread,but noticed your tractor and 3 pt winch.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

snowstorm

i had a front brake caliper stick at 7000 miles. thy said the rubber boot was caught between the caliper and the pad and he had seen a couple like that

kjp

Quote from: thecfarm on August 11, 2014, 05:35:36 AM
kjp,welcome to the forum. Don't want to derail this thread,but noticed your tractor and 3 pt winch.

Hello, thanks for the welcome! I've been on arborist site foe a while and came across this site recently. A lot of great info on here geared more towards logging than arborist stuff. Looks like I'm running a very similar tractor setup as you. I've got a new holland 2120 and a fransgard v-4000 winch

Thank You Sponsors!