iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer Super Hydraulic Problem

Started by barbender, August 08, 2014, 04:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

I was wondering if any of you WM owners have experienced anything similar- when one of my hydraulic functions hits the relief hydraulic fluid starts pouring out of the vent on one of my pumps. I fully take responsibility for whatever it ends up being, as I haven't done any maintenance on the system since I got it, and it was neglected by the previous owner. I changed the filter and added fluid, and it was pretty low. Could air have gotten in the system and caused it to blow out the relief like that?
Too many irons in the fire

säger

Magicman

Sure.  The hydraulic pump that the fluid is coming out of is not working.  It could be the power relay associated with it or it could be the pump motor itself.

Do you have a snap on DC ammeter that will quickly identify which motor is pulling amps. 

A volt meter can also be used to determine that both motors are getting 12VDC. 

Another test is to swap the pump motor leads to the other relay.  If the relay is bad, then the fluid will come out of the other hydraulic pump.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

Thanks guys. I'll look into why the pump isn't turning. I've been running an LT40 HD instead of a Super HD then :)

drobertson

Tricky one, when my brushes wore out on one of the motors it just caused slow motion. But no over flowing.  It almost sounds like a blockage of some sort, not sure how or where,  but really hope you get it back to running soon.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: barbender on August 08, 2014, 05:16:11 PM
Thanks guys. I'll look into why the pump isn't turning. I'verk been running an LT40 HD instead of a Super HD then :)

Oh the SHAME!!  :D

(From an LT40 NON Super miller).. 

barbender

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on August 08, 2014, 06:33:15 PM
Quote from: barbender on August 08, 2014, 05:16:11 PM
Thanks guys. I'll look into why the pump isn't turning. I'verk been running an LT40 HD instead of a Super HD then :)

Oh the SHAME!!  :D

(From an LT40 NON Super miller)..
I know, isn't it just terrible ;D Actually,  a lot of times I would be better off with an LT15- I am pretty much a hobby miller at this point, and it isn't good for the Super to sit as much as it does. It's not the mill's fault, but often when I go to saw my 500 bf a month I will have a problem that takes longer to fix than it does to saw the wood. One of these days, God willing, I will have time to put the proper amount of hours on the 40 and keep it happy ;)

Magicman

@barbender, what did you ever figure out with this problem?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

No, I haven't had the opportunity to look at it again. I will try to remember to update this when I get it figured ;)

slider

I had a solenoid fail and cause the same thing.The pump that's working will push oil out the other pump.If you are as lucky as me you just run up to customsawyer's place and steal a solenoid from him and go back to work.
al glenn

Magicman

And then order two.  One to replace Jake's and one for a spare.   ;D

slider

Lynn I always pay Jake back but I let him keep the spare because when I go back to borrow something I usually manage to con him out of a free beer.
al glenn

Magicman

Waterford Woodworks

The curiosity is killing me. I hope to own a 40 super at some point and appreciate all the info I have read about on the forum. Might save me a future headache. If I were closer I would be there to trouble shoot.

2006 Lt40 Super Cat 51, Allis Chalmers 185
"Keep doing what your doing and you'll keep getting what your getting, life is what you make of it."

Magicman

This is actually an easy fix and should be the solenoid.

barbender

It's not an issue of trouble shooting difficulty,  but an issue of time- or lack of it. I was out putting up siding til 11:30, it doesn't leave much time for the poor mill.I will fix it when I need to use it ::) I don't expect it will be that big of a deal.

Magicman

Yup, I was doing carpentry work yesterday because it was in the shade.  Too flipping hot to saw anyway.

Sounds like your situation is what "has" to be done gets in the way of what "wants" to be done.  :)

barbender

That's right, MM. Read my signature at the bottom of my posts ;)

barbender

Well, an update. I finally tore into my hydraulic issue (because I needed to do a bit of sawing). I did a little electrical troubleshooting, and found that both solenoids were transmitting 12 volts. I switched the leads to the pump motors just to be sure, it made no difference. The one pump would not turn on >:( So, fearing the worst, I pulled the dead pump off, pulled the end cap off of the motor, and found that I had a little brush wear problem. Whew, that's not too bad. So, I will order brushes for both pumps, in the meantime, I will be doing a little bypassing and running an LT40 standard hydraulic ;)

You'll notice the tab on the back of the top brush in the photo, I think they may be worn a bit ;D

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Normally the entire brush rack assembly is replaced.  I would also be replacing the bearings.

barbender

Peter, just short of 1200. I think WM recommends brushes for the pumps at 1000 hours, if I remember right.
     Magic, I was thinking it looks like an assembly, the brushes look like the wires are crimped in to the holder. And good word on the bearings, I'll be ordering those as well ;)

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on March 28, 2015, 08:40:20 PM
Normally the entire brush rack assembly is replaced.  I would also be replacing the bearings.

I got just the brushes and rack from WM. They sell bearings too?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

MartyParsons

Hello,
Unfortunately this is a early Monark motor. Monark does not supply WM brush kits for these motors. Most times you can take the motor to a starter / alternator shop and they can replace them. WM does have the complete motor and there are brush kits available . Iskra is the new motor name for the Monark pump.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

customsawyer

I would also replace the brushes in the other motor at the same time.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Absolutely.  Thanks Jake for the reminder.   ;D

barbender

Thank you, Marty. I will check with my local auto electric shop. And yes, I will do both pumps while I have it apart ;)

barbender

Well, another update on this issue- I tried the local auto electric shop, they barely looked at it and wanted to sell me a new motor. Wouldn't even check for brushes to fit. I'll remember that >:( I then checked the local motor shop, they mostly work on AC stuff. I talked to another outfit that sounded like they could handle it, but they were quite a distance away. Finally, I talked to an off road/4x4 shop that carries parts for snow plows. I went to that shop, and they had the rack assembly for the brushes, problem was the rack only had the ground brushes on it, and not the positives. Hmm, that won't work. We got to digging through a box of random brushes and parts, and I found some bulk brushes that were the right size. I bought a few, $2.85 a piece ;) So, I brought these home and got to work. I had to use a torch to get things hot enough to melt the old solder to get the old brushes off. It was kind of a trick soldering the new ones on with not quite the right equipment, but I got through it and got everything back together. I will say the Super, with 2 working pumps, has much faster hydraulics than it did with only one pump  ;D Now I'll pull the other pump motor off and do those brushes before I forget how ::) It kind of gets my goat that these local shops couldn't/wouldn't/lacked the ability to replace brushes in an electric motor, kind of pathetic me thinks.

pine

We live in a throw away society. Just buy new is the attitude. 
I have had the alternator rebuilt on my 1988 Volvo by a small shop for a little under $100 including tax.   
To buy a re-manufactured not near as good would be over $300. 
Glad there are still a few rebuild shops but they are harder and harder to find.

Thank You Sponsors!