iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's Fair?

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, August 07, 2014, 10:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedarman

We get logs dropped once in a while with no one around.  When talking with people that call about bringing logs, I explain hours and what to do if they come in late. (Blown tires can cause this).  They are to write their name on a piece of paper and attach it to the load.  Or call and let me know what is going on.  In 25 years of buying , have never had a load come in that wasn't accounted for in 24 hours.  People want to be paid for their logs and logic dictates that I must know who they are if they are going to get paid.
If I had a load come in that was unaccounted for after a day or two, I would stick it in an out of the way place and not even think about it.  I have hundreds of more important things to think about. 
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

beenthere

QuoteIn both cases, they sound like gifts ( of logs ) to me,
smiley_thumbsup    :)

I'm sure Poston has thought of plenty of other things to say to this guy when he finally showed up.  ;D

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Deese

Poston you should be ashamed of yourself.
I think you should apologize and cut them for free.  :D :D :D
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Dave Shepard

This sort of thing really ticks me off. Why would someone think it is ok to come on to private property without first making arrangements? This spring I had one load show up at 7:00 pm unannounced. Fortunately that was in a dump truck. The next one showed up just after lunch. I was in the middle of sawing a very time sensitive order, and had to fiddle the logs off the trailer between the fenders. That took almost two hours out of a very cramped time frame. Then I had another load show up on a Sunday afternoon just as I was trying to go somewhere. None of these jobs was profitable, or solicited. People just assume because you own a sawmill, that you want to waste your time on their problems. I would have a security system if I had the money. I was thinking a nice polite sign saying that any logs left without permission would be claimed for the hassle they present to me. Owner responsible for disposal fees @$20/yard for all junk. Argue with me and I'll have you arrested for trespassing and illegal dumping. Have a nice day and don't come back. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

LittleJohn

Deer cameras work for a CHEAP sercurity system.  At least you might get a face, real lucky a license plate

clww

What about a pad, pen, and a locked box with a slot? I'd have a sign, "Log Drop Off. Leave Name, Address, and a Good Phone Number. If logs are left for 30 days without all required info, THEY BECOME FIREWOOD".
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Compensation

Clww beat me to it. I was going to say a mailbox, sharpie, pad of paper and tape or something to fasten the paper down to the log temporarily. But it sounds like you need a lock box and survey cards haha
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

red oaks lumber

settle down you old goat!!
i have stuff show up all the time, eventually someone always come forward. the longest was 2 1/2 yrs. unless it is in the way why the big deal?
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

drobertson

30 days if fair in my view,  this happens from time to time here as well, but never without a call or previous discussions.  the only drawback to not being there is the quality that has often been left, which is culled and then reloaded at the time of pick up.   With quality logs like what you described, that would have been a hard call during slow times, especially with that quantity,  they may have been sawed and stickered here, this would be a tricky one.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: red oaks lumber on August 08, 2014, 06:15:19 PM
i have stuff show up all the time, eventually someone always come forward. the longest was 2 1/2 yrs. unless it is in the way why the big deal?

Its the principle of being a responsible customer expecting good customer service when he finally tells me how he wants his logs sawed.

You old goat? What chu talk'n bout Willis?  :D

Steve....I may send you some Grits and wait 4 days to tell you who they came from!  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

I'll have to get you a pic of my mill yard. There's barely room for two squirrels to walk side by side through mine. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

red oaks lumber

you may wait 4 days but, i'll know right away there from the old goat .

typing this reminded me... what does the N stand for on nebraska's helmet?

knowledge :D :D

sorry sandhills i'm just joshing :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: red oaks lumber on August 08, 2014, 09:36:08 PM
you may wait 4 days but, i'll know right away there from the old goat .

typing this reminded me... what does the N stand for on nebraska's helmet?

knowledge :D :D

sorry sandhills i'm just joshing :)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

clww

the longest was 2 1/2 yrs.
:o 2 1/2 YEARS?!?! OMG!! :o
If that happened here at The Beach, it would be a pile of bug dust in half that time. :-\
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

red oaks lumber

when we are frozen half the year, the process takes longer :)

WDH

Old Goat  ???

If the shoe fits, wear it (old saying). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

slider

Old goat was the first thing that came to mind when I first met poston at customsawyers.All this time I thought I was sizing him up wrong and now old Steve has let the cat right out of the bag.Thanks Steve.
al glenn

Magicman

Now y'all be nice now to my LFB.  The bestest thing about having an old goat for a friend is knowing which one he is.   poston-smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

YAWN........Y'all starting to sound like a worn out blade.  :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on August 09, 2014, 08:53:43 AM
  The bestest thing about having an old goat for a friend is knowing which one he is.   poston-smiley

:D :D :D :D My Dad says this.  :D :D :D :D Must be an Old Saying.

samandothers

Well at least now I understand the change to the goat image.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

gimpy

Make a sign with the rules. That gives you the option to modify them as needed.

Seems like 48 hours is fair. "Anything left for 48 hours without the knowledge of the management becomes donated goods."

Then you can decide situation by situation how much time you feel is "more reasonable" for good customers. If you don't demand that they let you know then they won't. Fair is fair.

You can always "hide" their logs and when they come in 9 months later; "You're not sure if they are still on the lot." If you choose, you can find them, even a day later and the guy won't do it again and be happy they didn't get lost. You can still retain the customer but they won't make the same mistake in the future.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

NWP

The Amish pallet mill keeps a couple of cans of spray paint out by the logs so logs that get dropped off after hours gets the loggers name painted on the ends.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

thecfarm

Magicman,change that to LFOG.   :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!