iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Used mill buying ???

Started by barbender, August 10, 2010, 12:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladylake

That's right, a lot of people buy a new car, truck , boat or whatever without thinking twice. It sure seems a 20 to 30 thousand dollar mill is a way better investment, it might make you money, big tax savings  and it won't lose most of it's value in 10 years.  There's quite a few nice low hour hydraulic mills under $20000 over on the Sawmill Exchange.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

My '98 WM Super is easily worth today what I paid for it almost 9 years ago.  I recovered my "buying cost" the second year.  I would not hesitate to consider buying a used mill.  There is just not much to wear out or get out of whack and these can be replaced or adjusted.  Manufacturer's support is awesome.

Much of my success is due to the Super.  I got many of my customers because I could easily handle logs that other mills couldn't.  Good customers are repeat customers.   At my present sawing rate, I will exceed One Million BF during my 10th year.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

Quote from: ladylake on August 13, 2010, 08:01:35 AM
That's right, a lot of people buy a new car, truck , boat or whatever without thinking twice. It sure seems a 20 to 30 thousand dollar mill is a way better investment, it might make you money, big tax savings  and it won't lose most of it's value in 10 years.  There's quite a few nice low hour hydraulic mills under $20000 over on the Sawmill Exchange.  Steve

Quote from: paul case on August 12, 2010, 07:33:56 PM
a fella needs to have the justification for buying a mill.

For many of us, that's true. But I know several people who spent $30k plus on a fancy boat without giving it a second thought. "Why'd I buy it? Because I wanted one." If you've got the dollars and get as much enjoyment from a sawmill, why not buy one for "fun".

I went for an LT-40 manual to do part time work, because I could afford one. When the "part-time" work got out of hand in less than a year, I borrowed the money to upgrade to a hydraulic mill. No problem borrowing the money -- I had a track record and I was able to show the bank that the mill would always be worth more than what I owed them. Paid the thing off in 20 months instead 60.

There are good mills out there at fair prices (like my original mill) but you have to do your homework -- and don't be afraid to walk away from one if you start to sense that something isn't quite right.

[/quote]

kudos guys i see your point. dont get me wrong i am glad that some folks buy new cars and new mills and such. that way there are some good used ones for folks like me to buy. barbender said something to the effect that he was borowing for it and it would have him far extended on his finances so my advice is try not to sink the boat before you even get it to the water.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Fly Fisher

Barbender, you brought up a good point for me, checking to make sure there are no liens on the mill you are trying to purchase, never even crossed my mind. I just made a 13hr road trip to look at a supposedly new Timberking 1600 with less than 100hrs on it. A picture would not have revealed the damage on the mill and after 3 phone calls to the owner nothing was ever mentioned about any damage. I looked over the mill and questioned all damage done to the mill and then cut 2 boards on it. The band was super dull and produced wavy faced boards. The owner had new bands but never offered to change blades so I walked away. I have been looking for a good used mill for over 4yrs and refuse to spend $10-16,000 on scrap metal. Good luck on your search and don't be too impatient, make sure it is what you want!

barbender

I can keep sawing away on the homebrew mill, that's ok. The main reason I was going to go for this WM was I was reasonably certain it would pay for itself after I got the word out that I had a mill, and if it wasn't paying for itself I could resell it for at least what I paid for it. I had the money to make the payments on it just sitting there doing nothing for about a year, after that it would've been a problem. I still think it would've been a decent deal had it worked out (and the mill condition was as advertised) I must have made the guy good and mad, he never has called me (I did tell him not to bother ::)) I think someone else must have offered him more money and he took it, otherwise, if he wanted to sell it so bad I would think he would still call when he knows I had the money waiting. Oh well, I'll keep watching and if one falls in my lap so be it.
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

Keep watching the "For Sale" below and "Sawmill Exchange" is another option.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

Yep, I've been watching WoodMizer's site for used  mills I like too. If I buy one, it will either be an LT15 because they are affordable, if I spend more than that it will be on something with hydrualics. I like the LT28 because of the long cutting length (not the 16' or whatever the LT30s were) but I would be like gator gar, building hydrualics to add on after a couple of months. I'd don't have a lot of spare time for that stuff right now, I'd rather just get something that is ready to go.
Too many irons in the fire

Buck

Lots of good used floating around down south, the romance of a mill has worn off since the hurricane recovery rush.  I just heard of a Lt40 yesterday for about 14K
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

sawingisfun22

first, before I forget... hello fellow wood guys:P awesome and extremely helpful forum! Okay so, im not really in the market for a bigger better sawmill but stumbled across an LT40 super but I haven't went back to take a 2nd look yet. hes asking $15,000. Im guestimating that its either a 96 or 97. it doesn't have setworks or the bored return thingy. is there anyway to tell if the frame is the newer stronger frame other than knowing the year? has been sitting a 1/4 of the way out of a storage container for about 2 years and has the operators box covered with 2 tarp like covers. would I still be looking at possible electronic problems or no?
all I know about the saw now-
Faded paint and minimal wear if any. woodmizer LT40 super HD  40 hp lombardini diesel 880.2 original hours with what may be upgraded blade guilds. Manual clutch. the man says it will be running and cutting logs for $15,000. in my mind "it may be cutting and all's good but I need 2,000 or 3,000 dollars play just in case something's wrong that I cant see right away. so I was thinking of offering 12,500 and climbing. I could do 13,500 if there is no major issues that a 16 year old kid with the mindset of a 60 year old tinkerer cant fix!  Called WM and they said a LT40 super 97 with 880 hrs is between 15,500 and 18,500. Anything to help before I go back and look at it would be much appreciated! Please and thank you! :D
LT40HDD40, grapple truck, homemade bowl lathe, and stihl 88.

GDinMaine

It could be that you have to clean up electrical contacts and rusty surfaces, but if it functioned all right when put into storage it should still be running fine.  I don't think you would have to put too much elbow grease into it.  It was right around '97 when WM first started putting the two-plain clamps on the LT40 and higher# mills.  If it is the later model clamp the frame is likely the more robust one as well.  A friend of mine has a '97 mill with 12,000+ hours so they do last a very long time.
Buying such machine - or inspiring to do so-  at age 16 is really cool.
Best of luck.
GD
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

pineywoods

97 was the year for frame changes and the changeover from the old flap type clamp to the hydraulic 2 plane clamp. Get the serial number and call woodmizer. They can tell you exactly what the build status was. BTW, the 2 plane clamp is highly desirable. The heavier frame is nice, but the frame was pretty robust to start with.  With decent care, the lombardini appears to be good good for something like 5000 hrs. The only other real expensive part would be the setworks, if bad, it's easy to bypass and run in the manual mode.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sawingisfun22

sawingisfun22

just got off the phone with WM and Rodney told me that the "1997 LT40 super hd is actually a 96 because it has the old frame and old flat style clamp, also only has one HD pump instead of 2... AND then he says no set works would work...they may but I would be taking a risk. sooo after that conversation I ask for archi to give me prices on used mills. here's what I got.
96 LT40 super hd- 15,100 to 17,500-----(all 96 were old frame, 1 pump, no retrofit setworks at all.
97 LT40 super hd- 15,600 to 18,100-----(all 97 mills between 1/1/97 to 3/1/97 were actual 96 mills, not 97. from 3/2/97 to 12/31/97 were the actual 97s with the 2 pumps(faster hydraulics), new frame, bigger up/down and travel motors and setwork compatible)
98 LT40 super hd- 18,600 to 21,500-----these mills are compatible with setworks and have all the revisions. 1998 LT40 supers are the ones you want.

I know that was confusing but it explains a lot.
so for the "1997" that is actually a 1996 LT40 super HD is technically worth $15,100 to me. but I don't do retail. so im going to start at $11,000 and go from there. will keep you guys posted!
just out of curiosity why would they call it a super HD for almost 2 years if it was the exact same thing as the normal LT40 hd????????????????????

sawingisfun22

well gentlemen, this is what I ended up with. LT40 super hydraulic '98 model with 2 plane clamp and lombardini 40hp diesel it runs so well you wouldnt notice the 3,911 hrs unless you looked on the meter. I did over pay ($17,000), but it was well worth it! everything has been maintained so it only needed a small number of parts/belts. if you find a fully hydraulic WM with diesel and 2 plane clamp under $20,000, jump on it. if you guys have any thoughts on the motor or mill I would love advice and knowledge :) :) :)
8)

beenthere

Way to go...

Look forward to seeing some logs getting turned into sawdust and boards.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

sawingisfun22,lucky you. Have fun!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gimpy

I was looking at the LT28 new. About $15,000 with the extras I wanted. Then I saw a craiglist ad for a used LT40 manual. I went up to look at it last weekend. about 600 miles round trip. Towed like it wasn't there. I brought it home after running a log through it. It's a 2001 with the log package. 25hp Kohler. New battery. A slew of extra blades. Only 554 hours on it. 10K out the door.

As for complicated to run, not really. Didn't get a manual. But Woodmizer sent an e-copy of the correct manual 10 minutes after I requested it. Registered it and am waiting for a "free" new owners package for buying a used mill. Don't know what it is but I am impressed with WM.

Now I just have to go out to the property and grab some logs and fire it up.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: gimpy on August 12, 2014, 09:34:40 PM
I was looking at the LT28 new. About $15,000 with the extras I wanted. Then I saw a craiglist ad for a used LT40 manual. I went up to look at it last weekend. about 600 miles round trip. Towed like it wasn't there. I brought it home after running a log through it. It's a 2001 with the log package. 25hp Kohler. New battery. A slew of extra blades. Only 554 hours on it. 10K out the door.

As for complicated to run, not really. Didn't get a manual. But Woodmizer sent an e-copy of the correct manual 10 minutes after I requested it. Registered it and am waiting for a "free" new owners package for buying a used mill. Don't know what it is but I am impressed with WM.

Now I just have to go out to the property and grab some logs and fire it up.

Ahhhhhh! I'll sleep like a baby tonight. Good story!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

A dream come true but you should be locked up for sawmill stealing.  Surely it is a crime??  Wow, what a deal !!!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on August 12, 2014, 09:50:57 PM
A dream come true but you should be locked up for sawmill stealing.  Surely it is a crime??  Wow, what a deal !!!

'Ol Jealous!  :D :D :D

Magicman

Good things can still happen to good people.   8)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on August 12, 2014, 10:00:05 PM
Good things can still happen to good people.   8)

You are exactly right my friend.  :)

gimpy

Funniest part of the trip was finding out the guy had my last name. And it's not Smith or Jones. Small world.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

Thank You Sponsors!