iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oh, The Joys Of Having Your Own Sawmill

Started by Deese, August 07, 2014, 09:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deese

Finally finished screening in the "wrap around porch". All cedar that I cut from standing dead trees killed by fire. Its fulfilling in so many ways folks  :) :) :)

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

buzywoodliff

Nice!!

And I love using "salvaged" materials

deepsouth.us

Nice work!

It's difficult for me to tell in the pics, are the handrails round?

I'm just beginning to get a taste of the satisfaction that you speak of. We're currently building a home, and it sure is pleasing to run my own material.
Timberking 2000

Deese

Something that just occurred to me---Prescribed fire is one of the most effective tools of forestry and wildlife management known to mankind. It is an amazing act of nature that created one of the most beautiful ecosystems earth has to offer. I just didn't want to give the wrong message about fire. FIRE IS A GOOD THING PEOPLE.
Cooks AE4P Edger

drobertson

Very nice work getting this done! and yes it is very nice having a mill for all kinds of jobs around the house, not only yours but others as well,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Good job and I see much enjoyment in the future.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

thecfarm

Looks good. Looks like the little one enjoys it too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

slider

al glenn

tmarch

Quote from: Deese on August 07, 2014, 09:51:10 PM
Something that just occurred to me---Prescribed fire is one of the most effective tools of forestry and wildlife management known to mankind. It is an amazing act of nature that created one of the most beautiful ecosystems earth has to offer. I just didn't want to give the wrong message about fire. FIRE IS A GOOD THING PEOPLE.
CONTROLLED FIRE IS A GOOD THING!!!!!!!!!!!!  I just helped control a lightning started fire on the neighbors pasture and when I have logs and lumber, buildings and livestock I don't want any more of it.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Deese

Quote from: deepsouth.us on August 07, 2014, 09:39:13 PM
Nice work!

It's difficult for me to tell in the pics, are the handrails round?

I'm just beginning to get a taste of the satisfaction that you speak of. We're currently building a home, and it sure is pleasing to run my own material.

They are flat on the top and rounded edges. They were there when we bought the place a couple years ago...
They need bleaching/pressure washing  :-\

Quote from: thecfarm on August 08, 2014, 05:09:58 AM
Looks good. Looks like the little one enjoys it too.

Yeah he enjoys it alright...enjoys pushing/leaning on the screen  no_no no_no

He's a Wild Man!  dangle_smiley dangle_smiley dangle_smiley dangle_smiley dangle_smiley
Cooks AE4P Edger

Leigh Family Farm

Nice work. If you're a Woodmizer owner, I'd submit that to their yearly Best of the Best contest.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Deese

Sawed some more cedar yesterday evening just before dark...The EZ JR is still set up on the property where I'm cutting the cypress. We found another dead cedar that had a bunch of rot on the outside, but was still solid inside. I should have taken a pic of the log before cutting but didn't think about it.

I get the most satisfaction from salvaging lumber from those old cedars that would otherwise just keep rotting away  splitwood_smiley splitwood_smiley splitwood_smiley splitwood_smiley splitwood_smiley

And here is a pic of the small cabin that I'm cutting the cypress for... smiley_beertoast 8) 8) 8) 8)

Cooks AE4P Edger

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Deese

Thanks clww....I didn't build the cabin. I'm just cutting the wood  ;D
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Finally got around to some sawing this weekend...
I went cedar hunting last weekend and this is what I came up with  :) :)

Unfortunately some of the larger logs had some heart rot, so I had to cut my way around it... :-\

Here's a nice 6' 6"x8" beam that I got from a solid log  ;D

And here's a couple pretty boards that caught my eye :o :o

And here's the end result  8) ;D 8)

What's next? Some 75+ year old Bald Cypress 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Cooks AE4P Edger

mad murdock

good show Deese!! some real nice work. that ERC is some beautiful stuff!! Pretty soon you will have all the salvagable stuff salvaged 8) Then you will have to get creative, unless you start cutting a few trees off your woodlot. I guess if you hooked up with a tree service or 2, you would have a steady source of logs.  Keep the pics coming, great stuff smiley_thumbsup
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

cutterboy

I love your "pretty boards", has the color of black raspberry ice cream. cone_1 cone_1
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

buzywoodliff

yukon cornelius

I really like the angled sawmarks my ez leaves. second only to circle mill marks. it works great for what we use it for. nice lumber!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Deese

Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Check out the tight grain on this old bald cypress I've been cutting. Absolutely beautiful stuff

Cooks AE4P Edger

Dave Shepard

Looks like about 16 rings to the quarter. ;D No cypress up here that wasn't imported. The porch on my parents house has cypress from an old upright silo. I don't know when the silo was built, most likely before 1900, but the boards were nailed down by my father in '62. It's some amazing stuff.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

customsawyer

Those cypress may not be as old as you think. They will put on false growth rings.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!