iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill shed underway

Started by New Brunswick, August 06, 2014, 01:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New Brunswick

Howdy all, been awhile since I have been here...back to makin sawdust again in my spare time..and lovin it, putting up a mill shed to saw under and space to park the old woods donkey(tree farmer) along with other stuff I am sure! I have been busy with it when not at my day job that consumes 12 hrs a day through the work week..ugh...cut some hemlock off my woodlot and milled about 7000bf of 1" boards from it and sold to a few feller's that have been at me for some siding and such for projects they had on the go...then I cut some black spruce and milled a pile of stuff for the shed I am building which is starting off at 28'x54'...My son and I went at it last weekend setting the poles in and back filling...had dad and a uncle watching most of the weekend and offering up advice when needed...which I always listen carefully..well, after Fri night I did...I had salvaged some 8"x14"x19' pressure treated red pine beams from a bridge that was torn down...the old boys said get the spikes out of them and split them in 2 as they would be pretty hard to manage getting them set in the ground and plum, as at home 2 feet is a deep hole as ledge is close....anyways, after they left, I figured I would set one of them and see...well, brace broke, fell on me leg, tore most of me hide off from the knee down....after bad words stopped, I gather them up and went to mill and split them in 2!! older folk are not talking just to hear themselves speak me learned from fri night. Sat, we had a good day, working with son, having the old boys around all day, and a few folk stopping in to see what we were up too...the price of buying lumber at home depot for sheds and such $$$$...price of owning a mill and sharing quality time with family and friends building and milling stuff from the logs we cut ...well that friends I consider priceless! Happy to be back at er, beam on my leg or not, hope all is well with all the good folk here and you all are enjoying your moments...here are a few pics after a couple of days, I will take some more after the next day we get out there..

Cheers

Peder McElroy

I agree about having family around and milling. I'am the Papa and training my boys and Grandsons.

dboyt

28' by 54' may sound pretty big now, but it will soon get crowded in there and you'll be looking at building onto it.  Thanks for posting the photos.  Looking forward to seeing more as it progresses.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

thecfarm

Finally!! Someone else that digs a hole and have rocks.  ;D   You have some nice equipment to work with. Keep the updates coming.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GrDingee

Hi NB 'er.

I live a 100 Km northwest of you in Carlow. My 1998 Woodmizer LT40 HD is in serious need of an alignment overhaul. Do you know of any Wood mizer experts in our area of New Brunswick who I could hire for a day or so to go over my mill with me to get it back in shape?

thanks in advance.

Magicman

Hello GrDingee, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  I would make a call to WM to find the nearest service center to you.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

New Brunswick

I am not sure who to call other than WM, used to be a guy out of Moncton that supplied WM parts, but think it has all moved to Nova Scotia.

546 Stewart Hill Rd
PO Box 8
Upper Musquodoboit, NS
B0N 2M0
Tel: 902.568.2980
Fax: 902.568.2518

These people may be able to get you in touch with someone in your area that could help. My mill is not a WM but have added some parts off a WM to it. What all does your mill need?

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, GrDingee!

If it's just an alignment your mill needs, the manual spells that out step-by-step.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

New Brunswick

After a weekend away fishing and other things on the go, I managed to get back out to the mill shed last night. I set up some staging and snapped some lines and started getting top of posts ready to receive top band that trusses will sit on. I am just a hobby builder, so I ask many questions, and one of them was, do you just nail/bolt top bands on posts or notch them out so they sit on the post? I went with notching the post so each band (inner and outer) will be resting on the 2" as you may see in the photos below...sorry they are a little blurred...hobby photographer as well apparently..Now my uncle who has been old school carpenter all his life, now 80, said they never notched them and never ever had a problem and some of the buildings have been standing over 60 years, any thoughts?

Had a nice surprise hello message from Custom Sawyer(after I figured out the pm message thingy) He and his wife are up in Canada visiting family and he gave me a message, we chatted on the phone and may meet if it works out. Hope you all are enjoying visit Jake!

Here a couple pictures of the poles and the lumber I will be adding to them.

Joe

]https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/16436/IMG_0513.JPG[/img] 

beenthere

Good progress.
I notch the posts as you have done, and bolt through. The notch helps transfer the load to the post rather than relying on the bolts to hold all the load of the trusses.
Less risk than leaving out the notches, but also probably easier to fabricate not having to snap lines and notch each post. Just hold up the top bands and level as you go.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

New Brunswick

My 2 helper's, daughter and hound.

Slowly getting ready for rafter's

Needed a couple 2x12 19 feet long, someone suggested I buy a engineered floor joist...I gasped, started skidder and went and found a tree big enough  8)

Mill building coming slowly but surly, hoping to put roof on in a couple weeks.

Magicman

That is the spirit and also the way to get 19' 2X12's.   smiley_thumbsup

Your construction is looking good.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

underdog

Quote from: Peder McElroy on August 06, 2014, 04:20:40 PM
I agree about having family around and milling. I'am the Papa and training my boys and Grandsons.
I also agree; Having family around is usually just great.
Looks like you have it going on.
Winter is coming ::)

New Brunswick

Thanks guys and agree with you Underdog, winter will be here soon enough...Time really has a way of getting along doesn't it?

New Brunswick

Well, invited a few buddies over on Sat for a rafter raising social work day, we had a lovely day. I started at 4 am putting a soup on and making sandwiches and potato salad for the crew at lunch time. The boys started showing up by 7 and all there by 9, and by 3:30 we had it all strapped and secure and we called it a day and found some shade and had a chin wag for the rest of the day. I will putter away at strapping the walls and adding the board and batten siding over the next while, and add the steel to the roof. The rafters from which I salvaged from a building being demolished 5 years ago were less of a slope than I had remembered, they are 1 1/2-12 slope, it almost looks like a second floor...I will be shoveling this I am assuming in the winter as the snow will not likely slide, only good thing the roof will see full sun and is tucked in an opening in the woods so may melt fast...will see?

New Brunswick

Latest pics of mill shed. Have roof on now, working away at the siding, I ran out of boards, so had to set the mill up and now need to saw some logs to finish the siding. I figured I would get it inside and set it up and see what else I need to do in order to saw inside(lots I am seeing)

customsawyer

The shed is coming along nicely. Wish I could have made it over to look at it personally.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

New Brunswick

Yes I would of enjoyed meeting you and hearing about your place...next time for sure!

ozarkgem

I would say that is a pretty good job of building if you ask me.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

New Brunswick

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wood monger

Judging by the size of your boards and construction methods, I don't think snow load is gonna be a problem.

Chuck White

Nice looking millshed for sure, and looks to be built heavy enough for your area too.  smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

New Brunswick

I hope it will stand up, I spaced the rafters 3' apart, but strapped with full 2"x4" on 16" centers. The slope of the rafters are 1.5/12, very low and probably will not slide, so will have to keep an eye on it and may have to shovel it once or twice in the winter.

New Brunswick

Here is the last of 6 or7 butternut logs that has been sitting for at least 6 years on the ground that I milled last night. A fellow asked if I wanted them, so, I opened them up and surprisingly they looked pretty good. The first inch or 2 in was a little punky, but the rest were pretty good.

My milling partner and best buddy has been in vet hospital now for 4 days with pneumonia, am hoping to get Cooper back home today! He will be 2 years old on Sat, my daughter took this picture yesterday as she stopped in to visit with him...I know its not really milling related, be he is on the team and usually always brings smiles.

Thank You Sponsors!