iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Chain Saw

Started by Daver, August 06, 2014, 11:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnG28

Who has a cs590 in NY somewhere?  I want to run one with my 361. I have seen your video Andy,  just curious to see one of these in person myself.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Daver

I trust the ratings and experiences of others rather than the whinings of a troll.. Looks like a great saw to me.. If I can make money with it that's all that matters, better than losing a lot of money to make money... Seriously Sawtroll, you don't want to be known as a party pooper do you? This is ppl helping ppl here.. Not ppl irritating ppl...
"Remember, amateurs made the ark, professionals built the Titanic."

CTYank

Besides ppl ragging on Echos from whatever prejudice or spec-sheet expertise, or 50 cc Poulan "Pro", on one level it's all amusing. Often makes you wonder if they've ever run one, even momentarily.

About the PP5020, I've had one now for 2.5 yrs. Shortly after I got it, a friend tried it. His "main" saw was a MS250 (45 cc, rated 3 hp- bogus?), and the 5020 could run circles around it. Besides costing little more than half as much. He got a 5020 ASAP, and the stihl has been for sale since.

The 5020 is a bit bulky and heavy, but for $180 you can't touch it. I've run it with the OEM bar buried in hickory and it got the job done. As with any saw, you can't have the chain too sharp. With a 16" bar, it's well suited to felling/bucking up to 20" hardwoods. Quick guided chain-filing every other tank.

Many saws, given good care and feeding, can serve you long and well.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

ladylake

CT
It's kinda funny how Stihl over rates their home owner saws just too make sales to the unsuspecting, their number one selling saw was the MS290 and the only reason was the over rated HP.   I've sure been tempted to buy a Poulan 5020 but so far have resisted  as I have way too many 50cc saws already, I always hear good thing about them except their a bit heavy for 50cc.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

gimpy

I almost hate to admit it but I recently bought my wife a 24v 12" chainsaw. She loves it and I'm getting fond of it. I may not use it for felling trees but all bets are off after that. I even bucked a used telephone pole with it. I have two stihls and won't get rid of them. But I impressed with the 24v battery operated saw.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

Daver

My CS-590 came yesterday looks pretty good.. Will use it soon will let you know how I like it..

CTYank

Quote from: ladylake on August 09, 2014, 05:46:26 PM
CT
It's kinda funny how Stihl over rates their home owner saws just too make sales to the unsuspecting, their number one selling saw was the MS290 and the only reason was the over rated HP.   I've sure been tempted to buy a Poulan 5020 but so far have resisted  as I have way too many 50cc saws already, I always hear good thing about them except their a bit heavy for 50cc.  Steve

It's not that stihl saws like the 250 are bad, just mediocre. Then stihl's whole approach to customer relations is simply predatory, trading on "past glory". I got the 5020 on "ModifiedMark"'s recommendation, as a backup to a 455r. It's earned its keep, and should continue to do so. I've got to make a label for it: "$180-Beat It". The 5020 now backs up a Dolmar 6100; they get along nicely. They're both fun for felling & bucking, but weight is why I run a 40 cc RedMax for serious limbing.

Incidentally, that RedMax will run circles around the larger-displcement stihl 250. Much more fun.
John
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Andyshine77

Quote from: CTYank on August 14, 2014, 06:10:46 PM
Quote from: ladylake on August 09, 2014, 05:46:26 PM
CT

It's not that stihl saws like the 250 are bad, just mediocre. Then stihl's whole approach to customer relations is simply predatory, trading on "past glory". I got the 5020 on "ModifiedMark"'s recommendation, as a backup to a 455r. It's earned its keep, and should continue to do so.

Smart move listening to Mark's recommendation!! He's a good man and friend.
Andre.

Daver

Used the new echo cs-590 saw today cut up a really large tree branch about the size of a good size tree itself.. The saw held up great.. The branch had a 19" diameter.. Thanks for the recommendation! 

Al_Smith

:D Oh they do carry on so .

Now I'm certainly no fan of a clamshell Stihl but honestly for what they were intended for they do okay .

It a casual use firewood saw it's not a old growth Douglas fir or midwestern oak slayer for heavens sakes .They were never designed for loggers or arborists.If you don't beat the tar out of them they do just fine .

Now I don't own any myself but of my Stihls I have from 200T to 084 if that accounts for anything . ;)

luvmexfood

Quote from: Mooseherder on August 07, 2014, 03:04:54 PM
I bought a CS590 a month ago to replace my MS280 that died on me halfway thru a downed tree and then wouldn't restart.   It feels like the same weight to me but has a lot more power.  I didn't have time to wait for anyone to repair a saw that shouldn't be broken when there is work to be done in a limited timeframe.  Since then I've found out that the 280 isn't worth fixing so I'm glad I didnt waste time on it.  I use a ms170 for branches.  Hopefully it'll last longer than the other ms.

Mooseherder. You still satisfied with the 590? Looks like I am going to have to purchase a new saw. Old 029 is giving me some problems. After loosing a couple days sawing that would probably pay for a new 590. Don't saw big time but when you need a saw you need one. Unloaded truck, gas, oil, 029, 170, tools etc. put on chaps and took the 029 down into the woods to fall some trees. Got down there and it would not start. Day shot.

I would really like a saw that is rated for a 24" bar but can't afford right now. Missed a few days working due to rain and then mom in hospital has taken a few days.

Don't have any experience with them but thought I might get a 24" bar and some skiptooth chain and try it for the larger trees. 30 " DBH size trees. Have an 18" bar on the 029 and it handles it ok but trying to make face cuts is pretty hard.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Mooseherder

So far it's been great.  I'm at the cabin and have gone through almost a gallon of mix and a gallon of Bar oil with it.  I have another week here and hope to make a dent into what needs to be taken down.  The first day using it I hit the kill switch 3 times with my thumb while cutting.  I think it could be placed a little further away.   Luckily it wasn't at a critical moment.  I cleaned the air filter today and it was an easy task.  It starts when I need it to.  The dealer is close by if I need him to service it and helped with my decision.  For a saw under 400 dollars it's a champ.

ladylake

A CS590 tuned right will be a huge improvement over a 029 Stihl in power and quality.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

All this mumblement over next to nothing .

For years I sold firewood with nothing but a Poulan S-25 with a 14" bar .$139.95 with an extra chain .Paid for itself in about 2-3 days and I still have it .

It makes little difference what it is or who made it it's how it's used .Sure you could dump 2 grand in a Husky 3120 and put a 16" bar on it just to prove how fast it is .Just to cut a little firewood ??? That proves nothing except a person who has more dollars than sense .

Daver

Well Al, I have heard that reasoning when purchasing a camera too.. But I know it is not totally true.. A cheaper camera has limitations an has inferior image quality.. Take it from a guy who has a toy-built who has been repairing it all the time.. Now with a cs-590 there is a big difference..

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 20, 2014, 02:00:03 PM
All this mumblement over next to nothing .

For years I sold firewood with nothing but a Poulan S-25 with a 14" bar .$139.95 with an extra chain .Paid for itself in about 2-3 days and I still have it .

It makes little difference what it is or who made it it's how it's used .Sure you could dump 2 grand in a Husky 3120 and put a 16" bar on it just to prove how fast it is .Just to cut a little firewood ??? That proves nothing except a person who has more dollars than sense .

Al_Smith

:D My point is that they are cut wood . Depends on what and how much you are doing . Perhaps a less expensive saw such as some Poulan models would work good for some ,maybe not for others .

As far as little saws I have an 024 Stihl .Supposidely the smallest of the so called professional models with the exception of the Ms 220 T of which I own two .It's only 42 cc but I find I am using it more and more on smaller jobs .No point in dragging out a 70 plus cc saw to do a ten minute job .

It cost me all of 50 bucks ,complete from a dealer .All I did was cut the baffles out of the muffler and retuned it .

Thank You Sponsors!