iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

In the Swing of Things

Started by Lud, August 05, 2014, 03:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lud

I built this swing 20-25 years ago,  a six footer out of oak....and it was stained and poly'd a number of times and would always peel so I gave up and painted it all holding and it's still holding up !

And it is as comfortable as my wife and her little buddy make it look too.

Well , around Christmas , a good customer asked me to make two swings like mine as he was giving one to his brother so make them the same.  I used some QS white oak with a bit of spalting and they came out pretty good.

Only this time I used the ONEtime finish and was pleased with what the Natural let show through.

And here they are leaving the farm, about 30 hours apiece as there are 74 mortises in each one.  I trust they'll last as long as mine.  Only problem is now my wife thinks we're due for one of the newer models!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WmFritz

QuoteOnly problem is now my wife thinks we're due for one of the newer models!

I'd be happy with the original, if you don't have a new home for it.  ;D

Very nice work!
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

thecfarm

I like that. But the flies would probably try to drive me into the house.  :(  I like the first picture with it loaded up with adults and kids.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Those are some very nice swings that I am sure will give many years of pleasurable swinging.

"Swingin" comes to mind.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07_rnlBezQg
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

BCsaw

Beautiful..........*DanG I have to get around to building one!
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

jamesamd

Fantastic work Lud! ;)

Any details on the back to seat joinery ?

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

John S

MM,
I was wondering if you were referring to the song by John Anderson, he is one of my favorites. That was probably his biggest hit about 30 years ago, I really like his version of "I've Got it Made".
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Lud

I just noticed Jamesamd asked a question and apologize for not seeing it earlier.

My mortiser would'nt handle the top board of 9" and the top pattern edge wasn't cut at that point so it could handle the pounding of hand cutting the  24 mortises per back.  I laid them out, drilled them with a 3/8" bit with a stop collar at 1" and started chopping with sharp chisels.  I used a small cornering chisel and tried to have the drill brush the end lines of each pocket layout.  You can pare the sides with bigger chisels and there isn't anything wrong if the mortise is a bit wider down in the hole when you glue it up.

My mortiser took care of the opposing 24 easily.  I like going both directions up and down a board to have  mortises centered on the lower rail.

I dry-fitted several times to get the right   slat in the right holes for sizing and for the best looking mix of plainish, spalted and QS figured slats.  I found I could clamp two 6' slats down the row of slats to keep them straight and in line.  I disassembled, put glue in the lower rail mortises and reassembled and clamped and let set over night.  ( The end boards were placed on their respective tenons but not glued, btw)

The next day, the unit was flipped over, disassembling the top board, glue added to the 24 mortises and reassembled and clamped and  this time the end boards were glued.

The purpose of this was to let the Titebond III  to set up without running out of 24 mortises!   It worked! 8)

Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Thank You Sponsors!